Make a donation

Author Topic: System Too Lean off Idle P2177  (Read 18282 times)

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 3
System Too Lean off Idle P2177
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »
Hi All,

So, i'm trying to diagnose a little issue my ed30 seems to be having.

It's current setup:
VWR Intake
APR Stage 1
NGK Iridium plugs (fresh-ish)

Recently replaced (last week, with latest rev)
PCV
DV

I also cleaned the MAF sensor (based on some random thread reading).

The car was fine after running adaption and clearing the below code, but within a couple of days i will get some slight roughness/wobble in low revs, and this little monkey in the logs again:

Code: [Select]

1 Fault Found:

008567 - Bank 1; System Too Lean off Idle
               P2177 - 001 -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 5
                    Mileage: 77715 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 19:32:42

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 3103 /min
                    Load: 10.6 %
                    Speed: 58.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 79.0°C
                    Temperature: 38.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1020.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 14.097 V

It appears to be getting more frequent too, this log was taken over 2 days. It always seems to be triggered at around the 3k rpm mark. After this happens, my MPG drops by about 3-5mpg on average.

What should i be testing for to diagnose this issue? I have VAG-COM so can log anything that may help.

Thanks gents!
2008 Ed30 - VWR Cold-Air Intake - APR Stage 2 - Helix 'fast road' Clutch & SMF - H&R Coilovers - Pipewerx Downpipe - Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - R888's - Dogbone insert - GFB DV+

Saintsteve

Re: System Too Lean off Idle P2177
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:41 pm »
Run it standard with the remap off as it could be a written fault with the software. I had this problem and was told it was the remap causing it.

Have you checked your fuel trims?

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »
APR stage 1 steve  :grin:

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:01:20 pm »

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:35 am »
Thanks guys,

I had this problem and was told it was the remap causing it.

I'll check the fuel trims at lunch, what did you do to solve it? Has anyone contacted APR for response on this?
2008 Ed30 - VWR Cold-Air Intake - APR Stage 2 - Helix 'fast road' Clutch & SMF - H&R Coilovers - Pipewerx Downpipe - Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit - R888's - Dogbone insert - GFB DV+

Offline paulmk5gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Re: System Too Lean off Idle P2177
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:39:53 am »
I also had a dodgy remap with the same fault! Changed to revo all sorted now 8)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Saintsteve

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 08:23:09 pm »
Thanks guys,

I'll check the fuel trims at lunch, what did you do to solve it? Has anyone contacted APR for response on this?

I had a Rtech TIV remap installed and fault is now History.. Just for info, old map was Superchips
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:38:46 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
Thanks for the info you lot.

I checked the fuel trims, it's running at 18% self-adaption, which is damn high from the info i've read on this topic:

Well, this is a shame. I've been pretty happy with the APR remap so far. Anyone had the same problem on the APR stg1 map? Is there anything i can do? I'd rather not have to pay for another re-map, instead perhaps go with an additional upgrade that might make the APR software happier (e.g HPFP)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:23:00 pm »
Have you logged your fuel rail pressure and lambda?

Without traction power is nothing!

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:46 pm »
Thanks for the info you lot.

I checked the fuel trims, it's running at 18% self-adaption, which is damn high from the info i've read on this topic:

Well, this is a shame. I've been pretty happy with the APR remap so far. Anyone had the same problem on the APR stg1 map? Is there anything i can do? I'd rather not have to pay for another re-map, instead perhaps go with an additional upgrade that might make the APR software happier (e.g HPFP)

I agree that it's abit too high, I know from reading, that my forge twin take can make my fuel trims be anywhere from 5-15% correction, unsure what the VWR one would be, but would of thought as much as 10% .

As Basillus said, check your fuel rail pressure and lambda, I would look at live missfires on Blocks 15-16 as this can give you a higher fuel trim if you have one injector playing up.(idle speed slightly uneven or lumpy)
I recently had this and by replacing number 4 injector got my fuel trims down from 16% to 10%.

:drinking:

Offline SyntaxTerror

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 03:57:28 pm »
Cheers guys,

I would look at live missfires on Blocks 15-16 as this can give you a higher fuel trim if you have one injector playing up.(idle speed slightly uneven or lumpy)
I recently had this and by replacing number 4 injector got my fuel trims down from 16% to 10%.

Will do! Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought misfires would show up in the error logs?

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »
No , only until they reach a certain amount will it set off any errors after a scan

Log those blocks whilst idling and you will see if you have any cylinder or injector (s) playing up  :happy2:

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »
Thanks guys,

I had a Rtech TIVO remap installed and fault is now History.. Just for info, old map was Superchips

To everybody pointing at the remap as the source of the fault, thank you for the chuckle this morning  :happy2:

So the OP had the software for a while without any issue, you act as if it magically changed over time to cause the fault. Common sense tells me it's probably not the remap. The internet, and some basic diagnostic understanding backs this up.

The fact is, there's most likely a hardware issue to fault. Have you taken this to a VAG technician for proper diagnosis?

Google helped me find: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18609/P2177/008567

Possible Causes
Fuel Pump (G6) faulty
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) faulty
Intake System leaking
Exhaust System leaking

Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70)
Check Fuel Pump (G6)
Check Fuel Injectors
Check Intake System
Check Exhaust System

There was a batch of VWR kits shipped with improperly shaped MAF sections that alter the MAF readings resulting in increased long term fuel trims being off, but never an MIL as reported. The owners have been systematically contacted by VWR for replacement, but some may have been missed. You can contact VWR directly to discuss this.

I would advise returning the airbox back to stock to see if this error continues first. Then go from there.

:wink:

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:42:32 pm by Evan@APR »
APR UK
www.goapr.co.uk | elight@goapr.com | 0845 680 3527
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Saintsteve

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
So it's VWR's fault now and not APR's?  :signLOL:

Funny that I got the same response from Superchips.... :indifferent:

Sounds like the software doesn't like the other mods you put on your car. If the stock air box goes on that will cure his issue I'm sure, but does your software support having a different aftermarket CAI is what I would question.

These faults do take time to appear and may not light up the MIL light straight away.

Good luck Syntaxterror getting this fault found. :happy2:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:56:33 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 05:03:25 pm »
So it's VWR's fault now and not APR's?  :signLOL:

Funny that I got the same response from Superchips.... :indifferent:

Sounds like the software doesn't like the other mods you put on your car. If the stock air box goes on that will cure his issue I'm sure, but does your software support having a different aftermarket CAI is what I would question.

These faults do take time to appear and may not light up the MIL light straight away.

Good luck Syntaxterror getting this fault found. :happy2:

Lol I guess you missed the part above the remark about the VWR fuel trims where I posted the actual diagnostic list from ross-tech?

This was never an APR fault, and I'm not positive it has anything to do with the induction kit. But it's a possibility for which I've provided a first step. :happy2:
APR UK
www.goapr.co.uk | elight@goapr.com | 0845 680 3527
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”