Make a donation

Author Topic: Jacking the GTi up..  (Read 4410 times)

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Jacking the GTi up..
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »

Evening all,

Was wondering if anyone here can advice what the best way to jack the mk5 golf up is. Where is the actual placement of the jack meant to be (front end) ? I can only see a 4-5 inch strip - which sticks out from the bottom of the chassis, about 1-1.5 inch in from the side of the car.

Doing a quick search on the net - there isn't much out there. ECS have a video of an additional plug which you can buy to stable a hydraulic jack; this plugs into a plastic cap covered area nearer to the front wheel.  I'm planning on doing the pre-cat delete and change of the DV myself - but sh*t scared because the standard VW jack is shockingly bad and the car just doesn't look steady enough.

I also have axle stands - what's the best way to get these in to position and where, exactly, do I place these?

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Jacking the GTi up..
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »
It seems pretty simple to me.
Under the sill there is a double-seamed piece of chassis.. front AND rear. There is also a semi-dome on the rear you could use to jack up as well.

Jack it up on there. I've jacked my car up plenty of times with a normal trolley jack and even had the car sat on axle stands for a week and has been absolutely fine.. I also had the axle stands on the front -> rear wishbone mount as well with no problems.

If you don't know how to jack a car up best get a mate who does to show you... also ditch the widowmaker standard jack. It's designed for emergency use only and I wouldn't ever use it. I always carry my low entry jack with me anyway.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:36:32 pm »
There are some jack points under plastic plates at the front...but as suggested use the reinforced sills... The standard jack is fine as long as you use axle stands which we should ALWAYS do, no matter what jack were using :happy2:

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:53:42 pm »
I jack mine up with a hydraulic jack on the reinforced sills (there is a little triangle pointing to where this is on the side skirt)

I then put axle stands on the supports which have the plastic covers on (obviously remove the plastic covers first)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:44 pm »
I got the ECS jacking kit from here
http://www.psituning.com/product.php/21370/ecs_volkswagen___audi_jack_pad_adapter
the jack pads are cheaper from audi dealers.
feels a lot safer jacking it up knowing it can't slip off the trolley jack, and no damage to underneath from jack each time.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »
I also had the S3 jacking points fitted. Very worthwhile addition. Not expensive either.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
I did WALK and sub-frame bolts yesterday.

Trolley jack under one of the sub-frame bolts (cup sits nicely over the bolt head) - lifts the whole front of the car up in one.
Then axle stands with cardboard on top under he sills where the "V" is. Seemed stable enough and allows for both sides to be lifted together.  :happy2:

2017 Audi S4

Offline DeanCleaverUK

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 03:55:02 pm »
I did WALK and sub-frame bolts yesterday.

Trolley jack under one of the sub-frame bolts (cup sits nicely over the bolt head) - lifts the whole front of the car up in one.
Then axle stands with cardboard on top under he sills where the "V" is. Seemed stable enough and allows for both sides to be lifted together.  :happy2:

Just to confirm, you can actually jack the car up using the Sub frame bolts?
My car is parallel parked on side of pavement so can only get the jack one side.
I was hoping to stick the trolley jack on the Sub frame bolt so i can get axle stands either side?

Are you able to upload a pic of exactly where the trolley jack needs to sit on the subframe bolts?
Gonna hopefully do an oil change tomorrow but as mentioned, i cant park it anywhere where i can get the trolley jack both sides of the car

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 02:37:01 pm »
Just to confirm, you can actually jack the car up using the Sub frame bolts?
My car is parallel parked on side of pavement so can only get the jack one side.
I was hoping to stick the trolley jack on the Sub frame bolt so i can get axle stands either side?

Are you able to upload a pic of exactly where the trolley jack needs to sit on the subframe bolts?
Gonna hopefully do an oil change tomorrow but as mentioned, i cant park it anywhere where i can get the trolley jack both sides of the car

I would move the car to an open space so you don't have to deal with the kerb.
Yes you can lift both wheels at the same time off the subframe, but personally I would lift each side separately by place trolley jack on the control arm rear console housing and then put axle stand under subframe aiming for the anti-roll bar bolts:

Be very cautious removing the smaller bolts in the console housing.
The bolts are zinc coated, this coating reacts with the aluminum in the upper side section of subframe.
The  threads likes to bind with the corrosion and bolts are easy to snap.
Lots of penetrating fluid and leave to soak in - any sign of the bolt tightening up stop.