Make a donation

Author Topic: Today I have mostly been..........Fitting an ITG CAI  (Read 62553 times)

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
Re: Today I have mostly been..........Fitting an ITG CAI
« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »
I must admit mine doesn't tail off at 6k

have you had it on a dyno because most do. i think youll be able to feel the difference top end once a cai is fitted.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2009, 08:00:08 am »
I dare say it may on the dyno on friday but based on personal observation it certainly doesn't feel breathless beyond 6k.

Agreed, the ITG will certainly help in this respect though.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Today I have mostly been..........
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2009, 12:05:28 pm »
Bodes well for the Forge as it has extra intake.

Based on what I learnt from being frazzled by science from Andy at ITG yesterday I would not 100% sure about the extra intake adding any benefit.

Really, have they done any CFD then?  :indifferent:  Because the position of the standard air intake, being closer to the vertical centre line of the car, will ALWAYS have far better airflow displacement than an intake near the outer edges of the car.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2009, 12:15:56 pm »

Based on what I learnt from being frazzled by science from Andy at ITG yesterday I would not 100% sure about the extra intake adding any benefit.

Really, have they done any CFD then?  :indifferent:  Because the position of the standard air intake, being closer to the vertical centre line of the car, will ALWAYS have far better airflow displacement than an intake near the outer edges of the car.

I respect you have an opinion but I haven't seen any logging data or physical evidence to support the forge intake providing any benefit from having two intake points. I like the idea of the forge but feel it's design is lead more by being unique rather than the best engineered.

I have personally seen the ITG CAI increase the airflow reading on the maf on mine.

It is also being dyno'ed on Friday with the car returned to stock intake with a nearly new OEM paper filter to run first as a bench mark. So by the weekend I will also have some more details on the improvement this kit makes.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:41 pm »
Not sure if these will work but here are a couple of sound clips  :smiley:

Clip 1

Clip 2

Should give you an idea of some of the noises it makes  :party: :party:

EDIT - Don't click these links if you are incapable of using a computer, they are in m4a format (taken from the voice recorder on my iPhone), so will try to open in iTunes

They also work in the Apple QuickTime player for those without iTunes.  :happy2:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2009, 12:42:04 pm »
^^^ PM'ed  :happy2:

Here are the latest developments on mine, ceramic coated pipes  :party: :party:

Would they do the coating in black, to match the hoses?  More of a 'stealth' look?
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

I respect you have an opinion but I haven't seen any logging data or physical evidence to support the forge intake providing any benefit from having two intake points.

OK.  And it would seem from further reading of the thread that the bonnet aerodynamics may not be best optimised for the standard air inlet. :happy2:

Maybe ask Andy at ITG if they could get an intake pick-up from the lower central grille - because that is where the absolute highest displacement pressure would be - though that might need some serious modifying of the front bumper.  Or how about modifying the front VW badge - a'la McLaren Mercedes SLR?  Would that be 'do-able'?

I like the idea of the forge but feel it's design is lead more by being unique rather than the best engineered.

Yeah, I sorta agree.  Forge stuff is generally excellent, but they certainly know how to 'over-engineer' stuff, and I'm not really convinced by their particular offering.  :popcornsoda:
------

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2009, 03:01:48 pm »
^^^ PM'ed  :happy2:

Here are the latest developments on mine, ceramic coated pipes  :party: :party:

Would they do the coating in black, to match the hoses?  More of a 'stealth' look?

Yes, eventually if its proved the coating works

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #278 on: October 26, 2009, 12:09:10 am »

Maybe ask Andy at ITG if they could get an intake pick-up from the lower central grille - because that is where the absolute highest displacement pressure would be - though that might need some serious modifying of the front bumper.  Or how about modifying the front VW badge - a'la McLaren Mercedes SLR?  Would that be 'do-able'?

....Yes that can be done. I've been having lengthy email chats with Andy at ITG about doing something different for my car and he says that the best position is as you also suggest, TT : - Lower central grill. In practical terms I would fit an inlet to one side of that central lower grill. It would be more effective than via the foglight panel which is beginning to slip air around the side. A hose would duct the air up to where the ITG filter is located in front of the battery.

Looking at the pic of my car in my sig, the circular inlet would be below the 'D' of 'RED' in my numberplate.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:14:10 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2009, 12:32:28 am »
Steve, is it Zircotec that are doing the coatings?

Intake is looking really nice now!
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128