Make a donation

Author Topic: How To: EGR Valve / EGR Cooler Delete Mk5 TDI (BKD / BMN)  (Read 230132 times)

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: How To: EGR Valve / EGR Cooler Delete Mk5 TDI (BKD / BMN)
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2017, 10:31:15 pm »
Different how?

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2017, 10:36:13 pm »
@jason_rmh Sorry neglected to put more detail. So on the photo below my pipe number 34 and 35 are left spare (connected 32 to bulk head with new straight connector)

Your guide pipe A which is 34 on the diagram goes to the bulk head which you remove and disregard but mine as the diagram goes around to the front of the engine
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:40:34 pm by v4rley »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 09:06:32 am »
Is yours a BKD or BMN?

There are two pipes into / from the bulkhead, these feed / return the heater matrix and join it to the rest of the coolant system, including egr valve and oil cooler.

On mine, the hose from bulkhead went straight to the egr cooler.

There was another pipe from the cooler back to the engine.

The hose TO egr cooler from bulkhead was removed / discarded.

The hose FROM cooler to engine was attached to new coupler to allow it to attach to the bulkhead, completing the coolant circuit, basically bridging the gap left by the cooler.

On yours, the circuit should be the same, you need to identify the hoses to be bridged, left by the cooler.

I'll have a close look at mine this afternoon to refresh my mind!

Jas
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:47:26 pm by jason_rmh »

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:42 pm »
BKD, it's in a touran but wouldn't have though that would be the difference?

Your guide is perfect just my pipework and the diagram seems to route differently

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »
The image you posted above, does that reflect your car? It is different to mine.
It looks like the 2003 model. Is your Touran 2003?

My golf is 2006, i didn't realise there was a difference, until now!  :scared:

Here is 2003 BKD(as you posted):

Here is 2006 BKD:

So, on 2006:
Hose 45 (from bulkhead to cooler) was discarded.
Hose 44 (from cooler to engine) was connected to the new coupler and then attached to the bulkhead where 45 originally connected to.

On 2003, the egr cooler does not connect to the bulkhead.
It connects at a different point on the cooling system.
So, following the same method, you should:

On 2003:
Hose 34 (from engine to cooler), discard.
Hose 32 (from cooler to engine), connect to hose 48.
You probably wont need the coupler.
You may even be able to connect 32 to 37. As long as it closes the loop and the connection is secure, you will be good to go.

Does that make sense? The main thing is to look at the hoses and find a suitable way to connect them.

Jas
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:34:46 pm by jason_rmh »

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »
 :notworthy: thanks.

How intriguing, I had search and search and could find the later setup on diagrams didn't think to look for later models. Mine is an 05, not sure why the revision was made, maybe to product a quick heating system for the cabin?

I had some advice from fb over the weekend regarding solution but still though I was probably missing something and wanted it documented for future reference. I and going to look at joining 32 / 34 as one won't reach alone. Initial solution is a bit of 22mm copper as that's what I had to hand.

Thanks, every days a school day  :laugh:

*on further investigation it looks like it might be a touran thing
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:29:38 pm by v4rley »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:26 pm »
No problem. I was originally looking at your picture wondering what was going on! haha!

You could use some black 20mm conduit with some jubillee clips.
Or a more permanent solution would be some silicon hose of the correct internal diameter and wall thickness to bridge the gap from 25 to 37, both are solid so silicon hose with jubillee clips would work well.

Jas

omn

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2019, 03:02:58 am »
Hi Jason,

After many many hours on youtube and general searching, I found this amazing tutorial, so, first of all, thank you.

I've an Audi A3, 8p, LHD, Diesel, 140hp, BKD engine, from September 2005. It has a DSG gearbox.

Recently I got this error which put me back on this EGR issue. EGR was cleaned up less than a year ago so I think it's probably gone. Instead of replacing it, I'm into the idea of deleting it!
Error:
16785 - EGR System
P0401 - 000 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent

My main question is: Is there any problem reproducing your tutorial for a car with DSG automatic gearbox?

Thank you for your time and work.
This is a GREAT guide!
Regards

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2019, 12:59:08 pm »
There should be no issues

alex4y

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2019, 02:10:02 pm »
Hi guys,
I have the BMN engine and thinking of deleting my EGR cooler as there is a coolant leak behind the engine and I suspect the EGR cooler. I have my EGR valve mapped out, so don't need the cooler anyway. Funny thing is that the slow coolant leak started after the DPF delete and EGR disable.
My question is: how do I get to the EGR cooler? since it is under the turbo and difficult to get to? I was thinking of lifting the car up (I have access to a workshop with proper lifts) and work underneath, taking one of the driveshafts off?
And also, since the cooling system on the BMN engine is slightly different, how do I close the cooling system circuit?
There is an image with the cooling system, with 65 being the EGR cooler:
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

AJPowell

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:14 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say how much of a help this guide was. I have a mk2 Leon, but the Seat forums were no help at all. First look here and boom, exactly what I was looking for. Think I’ll stay a while, if you’ll have me.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2019, 10:33:33 am »
Hi guys,
I have the BMN engine and thinking of deleting my EGR cooler as there is a coolant leak behind the engine and I suspect the EGR cooler. I have my EGR valve mapped out, so don't need the cooler anyway. Funny thing is that the slow coolant leak started after the DPF delete and EGR disable.
My question is: how do I get to the EGR cooler? since it is under the turbo and difficult to get to? I was thinking of lifting the car up (I have access to a workshop with proper lifts) and work underneath, taking one of the driveshafts off?
And also, since the cooling system on the BMN engine is slightly different, how do I close the cooling system circuit?

hi mate,
I have the BMN engine in my touran and done the EGR & Cooler delete (but I left the cooler on the engine as couldn't be bothered to remove it - so I advise just to leave it lol) the pipe you need to route is "37" this needs to be disconnected from the cooler and then bent/flexed up to fix onto number "44" coupler which is the Top pipe coming from the bulk head (heater matrix). I believe you have to get a new straight coupler too. the coolant diagram is a pig to make sense of if you ask me, but basically in my own a$$ about face words.. if you go to the right hand side of your engine under the air intake pipe, you'll see the coolant hose coming from the radiator, it goes to the connector block "60" follow it along going towards the back of the engine and you'll see the rubber hose leave the block "60" it instanty ducks and dives under the metal boost pipe. you'll need to follow that and then disconnect it from the cooler and then connect it to the "top" heater matrix pipe. Be careful not to kink it as you don't want to restrict much flow for the coolant. So disconnect hose "43" from "44" coupler and pipe, then connect hose "37" to "44" coupler pipe. I hope this makes sense. I did mine a few years ago and still ok, apart from clip on intake pipe decided to eat a pin prick hole into the hose - silly me should of turned the squeeze points of the clip around so it didn't touch the hose lol shame I didn't see this when doing the job. but its all done and been fine ever since. by doing this, the EGR cooler is then completely bypassed so "closed circuit" again.

alex4y

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 12:52:46 pm »
Hi guys,

hi mate,
I have the BMN engine in my touran and done the EGR & Cooler delete (but I left the cooler on the engine as couldn't be bothered to remove it - so I advise just to leave it lol) the pipe you need to route is "37" this needs to be disconnected from the cooler and then bent/flexed up to fix onto number "44" coupler which is the Top pipe coming from the bulk head (heater matrix). I believe you have to get a new straight coupler too. the coolant diagram is a pig to make sense of if you ask me, but basically in my own a$$ about face words.. if you go to the right hand side of your engine under the air intake pipe, you'll see the coolant hose coming from the radiator, it goes to the connector block "60" follow it along going towards the back of the engine and you'll see the rubber hose leave the block "60" it instanty ducks and dives under the metal boost pipe. you'll need to follow that and then disconnect it from the cooler and then connect it to the "top" heater matrix pipe. Be careful not to kink it as you don't want to restrict much flow for the coolant. So disconnect hose "43" from "44" coupler and pipe, then connect hose "37" to "44" coupler pipe. I hope this makes sense. I did mine a few years ago and still ok, apart from clip on intake pipe decided to eat a pin prick hole into the hose - silly me should of turned the squeeze points of the clip around so it didn't touch the hose lol shame I didn't see this when doing the job. but its all done and been fine ever since. by doing this, the EGR cooler is then completely bypassed so "closed circuit" again.

Many thanks for the guidelines mate! I lifted the car up again, and traced the hose (40) to find out it goes straight into the bulk head, as you said. I got the straight connector, and will be doing it  maybe next week. I wanted to completely remove the cooler (i got blanking plates for that) but might leave it there like you said as it is difficult to get to. Hopefully pipe 37 is ok, as I can't exactly see where it's leaking from. It is very slow leak, I can see drips in that area, and smell the coolant when engine is hot.
Once again thanks.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2019, 11:31:59 am »
@alex4y no problem mate, I hope it made sense.. glad you found it ok though. try and get a coolant leak test done with the pressure tool. or do what I did and buy one for £40 as its sooo handy to have! has found a couple of leaks for me on a 230k touran lol if you can get to the cooler and don't mind putting in the work to get it out.. then you might as well make use of the plate.. if not and (like me) you cant be assed  :signLOL: then just leave it in situ. Does no harm at all just sat there. Good luck sorting it mate, once it's done you'll be happy.