Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Panel Filter?  (Read 7383 times)

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: VWR Panel Filter?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:33 pm »
Cheers, :drinking:

So should i go for the ITG Filter rather than VWR's ?
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:50:33 pm »
Only you can decide that Rich.

The VWR is dry which ITG will say isn't correct for a foam based filter.

However others will say the oiled ITG could cause issues with the MAF.

I have run both a dry foam and ITG oiled filter on mine and both gave very very similar results.  :happy2:

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »
I have a vwr panel filter, fitted it to my car about 2 months ago, cant say i noticed a difference to be honest, feel better for having it though  :stupid:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:01:39 pm »
If you have a paper filter like the oem, it's a good idea to replace it with a new one at every service.

Hmmmm . . . that is extreme overkill.  :sad1:

The standard VW paper air filter is good for 60k miles.  My original paper element has done 30k miles, in quite a dusty environment, and is still fine, and would probably be fine until the 40k service.  However, being as I can do it myself, I'll change it though.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 07:03:56 pm »

Slightly off topic but I found out something of interest today. BWA engined cars have a different airfilter to BYD engined cars.

The BWA filter ends in an A whereas the BYD ends in a B and is thinner. Not by much mind.

....Interesting. You would expect a later version to be possibly fatter for a more snug fit rather than thinner. The oem airbox/engine covers haven't been revised as well have they?

The BWA is the standard GTI 200PS engine, the BYD is the Ed30 230PS engine, hence the thinner air filter.  :wink:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »

If you have a paper filter like the oem, it's a good idea to replace it with a new one at every service.

The standard VW paper air filter is good for 60k miles.  My original paper element has done 30k miles, in quite a dusty environment, and is still fine, and would probably be fine until the 40k service.  However, being as I can do it myself, I'll change it though.

....That's odd - I could swear it was you who advised changing it at every service :confused: But obviously not.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 08:16:07 pm »
I was told by a very well renowned VW tuner, that the OEM paper filter was perfectly capable and up to the job.
 :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:43 pm »

I was told by a very well renowned VW tuner, that the OEM paper filter was perfectly capable and up to the job.
 :happy2:

....Did anyone say it wasn't perfectly capable and up to the job?

The point I'm making is that it's a relatively cheap disposable and using the servicing session is a perfect opportunity to perk your car up with a fresh one.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 11:09:42 pm »

....That's odd - I could swear it was you who advised changing it at every service :confused: But obviously not.

I might have said something like half the interval, but don't think I'd ever advised on changing it every service!  Or had I been schmokin' something?  :laugh:
------