Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 GTI Instrument cluster swap  (Read 33630 times)

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Mk5 GTI Instrument cluster swap
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »
Some pictures before and after the swap. Nothing new for GTI folks : P I'm also liking the lit needles, it's a nice touch.

Old stock cluster

Christmas tree (pre-adaptation)

Working

Offline mrxbox360

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: 2008 Golf Mk5 GT TDI Sport 5dr Reflex Silver Personal Enchanced
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 11:38:26 pm »
just a straight swap mid to highline for tdi

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »
So it seems that the boost controller is programmed in the EEPROM. Nothing Vag-Com can do. Now i need to find the address that controls the coolant temp in GTI's EEPROM and the corresponding address in GT's EEPROM (controlling boost pressure). Also, i should get the address that controls the warning LED or LCD message for coolant overheating, which is activated in the GT as there is no other way of knowing your coolant is too hot, but probably deactivated in the GTI. Any ideas on where i can get an EEPROM map or this specific info?

I could try to replace GTI's EEPROM with the one from GT cluster but there must be 0.001 chances of this working. Plus the dials would show wrong km/h in that case if they even worked.

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »
Not much progress here's a shot of the two EEPROMs side by side in a hex editor. There are too many differences to start taking shots in the dark..  :laugh: Anyone feeling lucky?

Offline vrod

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:04 am »
Things should really just be a straight swap as long as you get all the old data over from the old cluster to the new one. Try to ask Spacewalker from vwvortex, he fitted a 2011 mfa premium into my 2006 golf, he really knows what he's doing!

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 05:08:11 pm »
Appreciate the suggestion, the challenge here however is reprogramming the way the cluster translates the ECU signals. This is beyond the standard immo data that you need to swap in order for the cluster to work. Unfortunately, messing with the clusters EEPROM is not popular enough to produce solid information. Very specific functions are known -like making the needles light up without turning on the lights, and even that knowledge only applies to specific part numbers.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:36 pm »

If this was my problem I would move along these lines:-

Look for someone who does mileage correction on cars of different Marques!

They tend to look into what your interested in and have in-depth knowledge of both the clusters electronics and compatibility to chip modding and what address needs changed for your goals.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 08:51:02 pm »
Give up on the idea

fit a highline and get a polar FIS if you want to know what boost you have

messing with the eeprom if you don't know what it does could kill the dash
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 08:54:08 pm »
Give up on the idea

fit a highline and get a polar FIS if you want to know what boost you have

messing with the eeprom if you don't know what it does could kill the dash

Ed's method would be quicker, cheaper and most likely easier to get your money back on!

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »
That could be an interesting approach, i would not hope for much though. Such people exist, but they mostly perform standard functions such as odometer changes like you mentioned and immo services. There might be someone who can go beyond the standard stuff but i'd be looking for a needle in the haystack most likely.

I reckon Eddie-NLs suggestion is the most sensible solution in case i need the extra functionality of the FIS. Making the boost gauge work in the GTI cluster would be a cool mod, that was the main reason of going for it. The information i'd get from it might be even less important than the coolant temperature (less boring though). The stock boost gauge doesn't show absolute numbers of pressure rather than a % of max pressure. And max pressure fluctuates in the twincharged engines. So it's more like a health monitor if anything.

Anyway, i've seen a modified cluster somewhere sometime, but i'm suspecting that the guy just used the clocks and front fascia from the GTI cluster but kept the PCBs from the GT cluster, which would mean wrong speedometer scaling, nothing extreme though. But i don't feel comfortable with that so i'll leave things be for now.

Offline sodmitris2

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:48 pm »
Sweet, did you have the stock boost gauge installed from the Golf GT cluster, or was it a regular cluster swap?

hellow my friend chris..my name is dimitris and im from greece!

I have a question!
what program did you do and cable read/write immo data?

Offline sodmitris2

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

hellow my friend chris..my name is dimitris and im from greece!

I have a question!
what program did you do and cable read/write immo data?

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
Hey there, i used vag k+ can commander. Full versions 1.4, 2.5 or 3.6 should work for you as long as you have the appropriate cable. Win XP is advised but Win 7 worked fine for me. Happy swapping.

Offline sodmitris2

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 12:40:22 pm »
Hey there, i used vag k+ can commander. Full versions 1.4, 2.5 or 3.6 should work for you as long as you have the appropriate cable. Win XP is advised but Win 7 worked fine for me. Happy swapping.

I bought this and it does not work in my car

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Interface-VAG-K-CAN-Commander-Full-1-4-OBD-OBDII-2-/150622636631?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2311cf0a57

my car is golf 5 tsi 8/2007

my tacho 1K0920863A new tacho 1K0920873A

WHAT IS THE CORRECT SOFTWARE IN LOW PRICE to work in my car PROPERLY?

THANKS!!

Offline Chris01

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »
Its trial and error with the chinese versions. Does yours have the Read/Write immo function? If not, you got the wrong software.

What error are you getting and at what point? The right version should work for up to 2006 models, but 2007 onwards is less likely cause the newer clusters used a different coding. I think Eddie-nl has got the right software for this but he's in England afaik.

I've heard about vagtacho and vagdashcom performing similar functions, never used them though.