Make a donation

Author Topic: Pics of R20.....  (Read 44472 times)

Offline spliff1star

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Pics of R20.....
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »
is the engine in the r20 basicly the engine found in the new s3 265bhp with minor tweeks??? or  so would it  not take sales away from audis s3 if they released this with 4wheel drive as its cheaper. performance wise they would be allmost identical Both the same cars really audi a little more flash.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 12:16:18 am »
Who cares...the R20 does look very tasty!

Peskarik

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 12:42:26 am »
TT-RS is more expensive (in fact, ridiculously expensive compared to say GT-R), BUT with little tuning 4 seconds to 62. R20... forget about it.  :wink:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 03:11:15 am »
Whats the TTRS got to do with anything?? is that not a 2.5?
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:15 am »

Whats the TTRS got to do with anything?? is that not a 2.5?

....Yes, a glorious sounding 5-cyl twin turbo 2.5 and the engine which many, especially R32 V6 lovers, would have liked to have seen in the new Golf R.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 08:36:21 am »
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it will be 4WD. I know the 'Rocco won't be, but I'm not sure that's a good thing to base a theory on, now is the time to make some differences between the 2 models 'fast' stable?

The A3/S3 is due for replacement soon, so no stealing sales worries there, it'll make more money for VAG if anything by using up the S3's platform for a while longer when it gets ditched for the MKIII. The A3 traditionally is the first application of the new platform - they've be developing what is to be the MKVII for it now and we won't see a new S3 probably until the MKVII arrives =  plenty of space for the R20T in 4WD guise to breathe.

If the R20 is 2WD, then where's the headroom for GTI specials like the ED30??

The R brand has always been a very marked difference to the GTI one and I can't see them allowing the 2 to become so similar. It also goes back a bit further than people think. The Rallye was never a GTI, the VR6 syncro (sadly never imported to the UK) was never a GTI, the R32 was never a GTI.... the new R will not be a rebadged GTI.

God, I hope I'm right and don't end up looking a tool - ha ha!!

Off to wash the car and ponder trade in values.....
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 08:57:51 am »
^^^^
Definitely very logical and you might not be wrong.

^ So that's the V-W sign!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 09:15:07 am »
According to the 'other' froum, several people have asked various dealers, all whom have confirmed it being FWD.  :stupid:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 10:11:15 am »
According to the 'other' froum, several people have asked various dealers, all whom have confirmed it being FWD.  :stupid:

but the dealers don't know- they are the last to find out, alwaysî„…
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 12:09:04 pm »
Seeing as they are taking deposits i expect they are correct mate.

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »

That would be a shame then IMO

Losing both the V6 and the AWD, it will hardly be an R32 replacement,  but more like a special edition GTi.    :surprised:
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline spliff1star

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 03:59:28 pm »
I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it will be 4WD. I know the 'Rocco won't be, but I'm not sure that's a good thing to base a theory on, now is the time to make some differences between the 2 models 'fast' stable?

The A3/S3 is due for replacement soon, so no stealing sales worries there, it'll make more money for VAG if anything by using up the S3's platform for a while longer when it gets ditched for the MKIII. The A3 traditionally is the first application of the new platform - they've be developing what is to be the MKVII for it now and we won't see a new S3 probably until the MKVII arrives =  plenty of space for the R20T in 4WD guise to breathe.

If the R20 is 2WD, then where's the headroom for GTI specials like the ED30??

The R brand has always been a very marked difference to the GTI one and I can't see them allowing the 2 to become so similar. It also goes back a bit further than people think. The Rallye was never a GTI, the VR6 syncro (sadly never imported to the UK) was never a GTI, the R32 was never a GTI.... the new R will not be a rebadged GTI.

very true

Offline JonnyG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Golf R
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »
I don't suppose we'll know for sure until it's announced, but Autocar seem to think it'll be AWD :   :happy2:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/242481/
Golf R, 5dr, DSG, March 2010, Rising Blue, 19" Talladegas, Cruise

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 05:20:57 pm »
I'm sorry Mike (Tony Danza), but your theory is a little flawed.

You only have to look at the Scirocco TSI and the Scirocco R to see where VW are going with the R20. I agree in the sense that the R has always been marked out as a different demographic brand to the GTI, but when has VW ever been known to give us what WE want!

The R20 SHOULD be a 4WD 2.5 litre turbo charged car with 300+bhp if we had our way, but as we all know VW has been cutting it's cost base over the last few years and so a dedicated haldex 4WD based car would push it away from this current ethos and I for one will stick my neck out in the opposite direction to say it will be FWD and 2.0TFSI with the K04, tweaked internals, the E-diff, adjustable suspension and will be the first MKVI to have Xenons. :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 05:25:05 pm »
I'm sorry Mike (Tony Danza), but your theory is a little flawed.

You only have to look at the Scirocco TSI and the Scirocco R to see where VW are going with the R20. I agree in the sense that the R has always been marked out as a different demographic brand to the GTI, but when has VW ever been known to give us what WE want!

The R20 SHOULD be a 4WD 2.5 litre turbo charged car with 300+bhp if we had our way, but as we all know VW has been cutting it's cost base over the last few years and so a dedicated haldex 4WD based car would push it away from this current ethos and I for one will stick my neck out in the opposite direction to say it will be FWD and 2.0TFSI with the K04, tweaked internals, the E-diff, adjustable suspension and will be the first MKVI to have Xenons. :wink:

I agree John, apart from the Xenon's bit as the current MkVI GTI has them as an option  :smiley: