Make a donation

Author Topic: gti compard to the rest of its hot hatch class....  (Read 10382 times)

Offline faheem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
gti compard to the rest of its hot hatch class....
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:19:14 pm »
was wondering if anyone  here has had any experience of driving some of the other cars in its class like the megane r26, civic type r, ford st, cupra etc

as i am preety much new to the club and car in every sense it would intresting to know how people compare them, i was really set on getting a megane r26 but ultimatley for me its the comfort, practicality that goes along with the performace of the gti....plus it seems preety simple to tune from what i hear.......

anyone had any experiences of challenges at the lights? any good races? i dont think from what ive read the gti is up there in terms of speed wit some but it bloody well feels alot quicker than what the stats tell me!

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: gti compard to the rest of its hot hatch class....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:22:48 pm »
ED30 is the one to go for if you want a golf.
Leon Cupra is the one to go for if you want the same chassis as the golf, but cheaper and with better brakes.
S3 is the one to go for if you want 4wd to give you the extra traction and nicer interior.

Focus RS is better than all 3 but pretty dear, and a remapped ed30, cupra etc will pass a Focus RS with pure ease.

Remapped cupra ed30 is also quicker than a evo fq 330 in a straightline.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:57 pm »
id much rather have an s3 over a focus rs but yeah tuning wise the ed30, s3 and cupra are way ahead of the rest.

Offline faheem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:12:36 am »
sick, i was thinking to get an evo at one point but it comes with such a bloody bad label round my ends i would probably be getting pulled over every other day!

ed30 seems the one alot are talking about , maybe a possible upgrade in the future......i was tinking if i like the gti to go for the r32 next but it seems too much more expensive plus ed30 as you and many have said is really goood for tuning.....

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:30 am »
sick, i was thinking to get an evo at one point but it comes with such a bloody bad label round my ends i would probably be getting pulled over every other day!

ed30 seems the one alot are talking about , maybe a possible upgrade in the future......i was tinking if i like the gti to go for the r32 next but it seems too much more expensive plus ed30 as you and many have said is really goood for tuning.....

r32 is slow, my standard cupra used to push my mates one down the road.

Sounds nice though.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:11:39 am »
I have to agree with RobH. The TFSI engine VAG hatches with the K04 are the ones to go for.

Just be aware that you can spend an inordinate amount of money on modifying them....

Brakes at £2k
Suspension at £2k
Intake at £300
HPFP at up to £700
Remap at £500
Exhaust at up to £1.3k
Larger intercooler at £500
Wheels/tyre upgrades at £1k to £XXXX
Quaife diff at £1.5k fitted

Add just that little lot up and you get the picture, however an ED30 with those mods would see just about anything off this side of a tuned Porsche :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:10 am »

anyone had any experiences of challenges at the lights? any good races?

....Plenty of challenges. I don't respond and would advise anyone else not to.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »
Leon Cupra is the one to go for if you want the same chassis as the golf, but cheaper and with better brakes.
S3 is the one to go for if you want 4wd to give you the extra traction and nicer interior.

Focus RS is better than all 3 but pretty dear, and a remapped ed30, cupra etc will pass a Focus RS with pure ease.

Remapped cupra ed30 is also quicker than a evo fq 330 in a straightline

But a remapped RS and FQ330 would be quicker than a mapped ed30, cupra so no point in comparing  :stupid:
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »
after looking at the r26 myself before going for the golf, apart from the only colour available seeming to be asbo yellow at the moment they dont quite meet the image of a golf gti.

i loved the seats in the r26, it has a LSD, after a map its 260bhp, xenon's are standard, along with cruise control AND its cheaper. But when you down the pub explaining this you feel like....had i bought the golf all i would have needed to say is, yea i drive a gti. :signLOL:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:05:03 pm »

Remapped cupra ed30 is also quicker than a evo fq 330 in a straightline

But a remapped RS and FQ330 would be quicker than a mapped ed30, cupra so no point in comparing  :stupid:

Ehhh yes there is

Brand New Leon Cupra 18k.
Brand new Focus RS 25K
Brand new Evo FQ 30K.

So for 18,500 pounds you can get a car thats quicker than the two above with alot of spare change. Hell lets say another 5k on top for stage 2 plus spec and a diff and you have a car that will annilathe the evo and the rs and it will still be 2 grand cheaper than he focus.

So far as im considered you can compare them, especially seeing as the Evo and RS both top out at 380hp on the standard turbo but weight alot more though.

So a stage 2 plus cupra/ed3 will just be as quick as a stage 2 evo or rs.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:49:28 pm »
I can only comment on the Civic Type-R (01-06 shape) as I used to have one before the Golf. It was a lovely motor in all honesty. It sounded well, went well and handled well when you were gunning it! The only draw backs and to me they were significant were:

RIDE: Amazing on a lovely smooth B road and a track - how often have you been on one of them!? Its was too firm and just bounced you off course unless you were at maximum attack. Also it was sh*t in the wet and had about as much traction as a dog on lino!

TYRES: It ruins the rear tyres due to the setup and well, kills the front ones too. 
 :happy2:

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:42:06 pm »

my mate has had a focus now for about a month and imo a re mapped ed 30 will struggle to keep up let alone pass it with ease !!!!!! :scared:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:51:10 pm »

r32 is slow, my standard cupra used to push my mates one down the road.

Sounds nice though.

:signLOL:

The CTR is a cross between the gti and R26, it is more refined than the R26 but not as quick. Its quicker than a GTI though but not as refined. GTI is a great all rounder, R32 is a better al rounder but lower mpg and cost more to tune (but is more tunable than a gti if you have the money) S3 a cross between gti and R32 and so the best to tune though engine is not as nice as R32. Cupra is nice but interior and build is not as good as VW/Audi, its still good but you can see why they cost less, good second hand cars though as you get loads for your money! Not driven a R26 so cant fully comment.

Theres always the RS, Audi A3 3.2, Alfa 147 GTA, Astra VXR, Corolla VVTI etc etc

Each one has positives and flaws, there is no perfect car, just one that fits your needs.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:35 am »

my mate has had a focus now for about a month and imo a re mapped ed 30 will struggle to keep up let alone pass it with ease !!!!!! :scared:

Think you wanna get yours looked at then mate, two lads I know have one, and my revo cupra beats them pretty easy tbh, even 3 man up. They werent happy to say the least lol. This is all down a airfield though, so corners is another story. RS stays glued to the road.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:23:03 am by Poverty »

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 02:05:16 am »
very tempyed by the rs myself, the ede30 is of course awesome fun the rs just seems like a great package, and very tunible :happy2:

i know it has a chavy reputation though it is still very rare and hence always seem to admire whe I see them.

I see a white one most days whih just looks great  :congrats:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.