Make a donation

Author Topic: HID Help?  (Read 8153 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: HID Help?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 06:32:48 pm »

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 07:28:31 pm »
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 07:52:34 pm »
Looks like the f*ckers are going back then ;(

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 10:54:11 pm »
Looks like the f*ckers are going back then ;(

They are not technically illegal. They have interpreted the legislation the way they have although it is not an offence to simply put the hids in.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:31 am »
Without opening up a can of worms (and this is the only post on this subject I will make as I'm sick of it frankly  :indifferent:)

For Type approval you are supposed to have Washers and Auto Leveling or self-adjutsing rear suspension.
There are some cars that came FROM THE FACTORY (mainly Japanese Imports) which were not subject to this.

For the sake of the MOT the BEAM PATTERN needs to be correct. You could have nuclear power stations for headlights technically so long as they had the correct cut off and beam pattern.

Officially if your headlights are under 2000 lumens you don't need washers or levelers, if they are over 2000 lumens you do, however there is no accurate way of testing the lumens in a garage, so they apply the "lowest common denominator" which is simply the beam pattern - In short you can fit a HID kit as so long as the cut off is correct (which it will be in the Hella housings or quality aftermarket Projector units, they will NOT be in the factory reflector headlights) your vehicle will pass an MOT.

I have this in writing from VOSA directly.

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2013, 07:35:12 am »
Without opening up a can of worms (and this is the only post on this subject I will make as I'm sick of it frankly  :indifferent:)

For Type approval you are supposed to have Washers and Auto Leveling or self-adjutsing rear suspension.
There are some cars that came FROM THE FACTORY (mainly Japanese Imports) which were not subject to this.

For the sake of the MOT the BEAM PATTERN needs to be correct. You could have nuclear power stations for headlights technically so long as they had the correct cut off and beam pattern.

Officially if your headlights are under 2000 lumens you don't need washers or levelers, if they are over 2000 lumens you do, however there is no accurate way of testing the lumens in a garage, so they apply the "lowest common denominator" which is simply the beam pattern - In short you can fit a HID kit as so long as the cut off is correct (which it will be in the Hella housings or quality aftermarket Projector units, they will NOT be in the factory reflector headlights) your vehicle will pass an MOT.

I have this in writing from VOSA directly.

I was going to comment on te potential issues after saying technically fine but as you can of worms!!

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:10 am »
Might look into a quality set of hella's then, but they're so damn expensive

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 03:14:14 pm »
Quality always is.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
Suppose so :(

Offline vrod

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:45 am »
There's still a solution if you are willing to put ~350£ extra in the project.

Buy some GTI replica headlights: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-headlights-black-VW-Golf-V-MK5-Jetta-MK3-R32-GTI-front-lights-Xenon-Look-/160887349805?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf|Plat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item2575a2222d

They have lenses... OR, get a projector retrofit done. I have some Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors laying around and they are giving an excellent cutoff (a lot of color and very sharp). The output is also a lot better than regular PnP kits that people buy, as these projectors are made for HID's.

If your headlight isn't permaseal, the installation of the projectors is a PITA! Here's some pics: http://dl.vrod.dk/images/xenon/minih1/

I run original HID's on my Plus, soon to get my old Hella sh*t projectors replaced with newer replica models that blows them out!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 10:02:18 am »
Hella's cut off is far better than the Depo ones... the cost savings have to come somewhere ;)
I've seen aftermarket Hella xenons and Depos side by side and it's a big difference.

Offline Adil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »
Always wanted to put in HIDs but settled for LEDs due to reflector housing.