Make a donation

Author Topic: Radiator fan not coming on at all :(  (Read 2658 times)

redgoals

Radiator fan not coming on at all :(
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me out here, i dont know much about cars so please try to be non technical with replies if thats possible :/

I purchased a golf 2.0 sport tdi a week ago, the radiator fans were working at the time of purchase and there were no leaks. i drove the car 200 miles and the next day i noticed the raditor was leaking.. got that replaced for £100... but thats where the problems with the fans was picked up...

The car has climatic control, when starting the car none of the fans kick in at all, checked the fuse above the battery and seems fine, temp on the dashboard reads 90c.. takes abit of time to reach 90 but doesnt go above that even if driving for long distances.. 20miles plus... i have a feeling the reading may be innacurate but im not sure.

Now can anyone tell me why the fans dont kick in at all? should i be worried by this? are there any long term consequences in not fixing the problem? what steps can i take to locate the problem?

many thanks

ps. i would appreciate a quick reply as i need to drive my car tomorrow and need a fix by today.

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Radiator fan not coming on at all :(
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:07:45 pm »
Can't really help you, apart from the obvious - Have you checked the fan plug?  To replace the radiator I am sure you would have to disconnect the electrical plug from the fans.

Perhaps take a look here.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0

In the engine sect there is a book on the cooling system, it may have some ideas - even if the wrong engine.

And welcome to the forum by the way.
 :happy2: