Make a donation

Author Topic: CDL Manual Engine swap to fit dsg box  (Read 1953 times)

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
CDL Manual Engine swap to fit dsg box
« on: May 04, 2022, 11:58:06 am »
Hey guys/girls,

Just needed some information or a point in the right direction, its my first engine swap and I have a AXX DSG that is going to be CDL, which I just bought this morning. Is the manual swap to dsg just a simple bolt on or do I need anything else for it to be possible?

Regards,
MrFernze

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: CDL Manual Engine swap to fit dsg box
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 12:22:06 pm »
Mechanically it's all bolt-on but you might want to check driveshaft lengths vs manual.

Did you get the Engine and transmission ECUs and harnesses from the CDL donor car?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 09:37:20 pm »
Mechanically it's all bolt-on but you might want to check driveshaft lengths vs manual.

Did you get the Engine and transmission ECUs and harnesses from the CDL donor car?

Hey Pudding,

Thanks for the reply, I think I may have confused you with the title. I meant to say that; is the engine swap from the cdl just a standard bolt on in regards to which ever trans? I will be transferring my DSG box to the CDL donor and using my existing harness etc, with the addition of doing all the preventative maintenance with some stage 3 preparations etc

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:51:09 am »
Yep that is what I understood.  You have a CDL engine from a manual car and you want to bolt your GTI's DSG box to it.  The engines are the same, manual or auto, so your DSG will bolt on.

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 08:44:35 am »
Hey Pudding, I took off the AXX engine yesterday and dismembered the DSG, it does look like its a straight swap now its all apart. Ive seen in a post previously that I would need to transfer some sensors from my AXX to the CDL, is that still the case?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 01:43:15 pm »
For straight engine swaps that you are retaining your current ECU, to avoid introducing any uncertainty, it is best to retain the old package of sensors that you know are good and are able to start the engine.

Chances are the sensors on the new engine will probably work - keep them as spares, but always consider the car this engine came from was broken up for a reason.

Do you have any history of the new engines servicing? - This is the perfect time to replace timing belt and water pump.

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 08:19:40 pm »
For straight engine swaps that you are retaining your current ECU, to avoid introducing any uncertainty, it is best to retain the old package of sensors that you know are good and are able to start the engine.

Chances are the sensors on the new engine will probably work - keep them as spares, but always consider the car this engine came from was broken up for a reason.

Do you have any history of the new engines servicing? - This is the perfect time to replace timing belt and water pump.

Unfortunately I do not have any service history on the car, other than the MOT history. I will be spending around £2k on a lot of preventative maintenenace, that was my main thing when getting the engine, making sure it will run correctly and hopefully with a longer lifespan than the AXX block I had.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 08:41:20 am »
CDL has a 200 bar fuel pressure sensor and I believe different map sensor as well.  These will need factoring in when setting up the AXX ECU to run the CDL.  I believe the ECU also needs configuring to run the DSG box.  It might just be as simple as a tick in the CAN gateway module list, but I've read the DSG engine ECUs are different to manual.