Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change your inline thermostats.  (Read 57292 times)

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: How to change your inline thermostats.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »
To change the front inline (pictured post above) I removed the lower pipe further back and pulled it up throught the engine to access the clips easier.

With regards to the main stat you should breeze it being a confident DIY'er, I have managed to change it, just takes a bit of time to access it  :happy2:

Offline waynos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 04:01:28 pm »
Main stat is easy enough. Alternator needs to be removed. Make sure u get some triple square bits. I think its a 5mm. Mine had two of these tiny screws securing the middle pipe to a bracket. You will also need a t30 torx bit to remove it from the stat itself. Lets hope your water pump hadnt been silicone sealed in place like mine. This is what greeted me when i got the bottom crankshaft pulley off

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l01agv7u0jf8jbp3vkgu31tim7&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 05:28:07 pm »
Main stat is easy enough. Alternator needs to be removed. Make sure u get some triple square bits. I think its a 5mm. Mine had two of these tiny screws securing the middle pipe to a bracket. You will also need a t30 torx bit to remove it from the stat itself. Lets hope your water pump hadnt been silicone sealed in place like mine. This is what greeted me when i got the bottom crankshaft pulley off

That looks nasty. She must be running better now?

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »
@waynos thanks I think I light have located the inline thermostat now. Just to confirm the stat is located on the end of the metal pipe that travels down the engine?

Offline waynos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 06:45:22 pm »
Yea running loads better! Warms up quicker, maintains temperature, better fuel economy and hot air out the vents!

Gti eagles yea thats the pipe. You can disconnect it up by the cambelt cover. Undo the 10mm bolt on the inlet manifold and 10mm nut by the dipstick. And disconnect a hose clip at the bottom of the stat then pull the whole lot through. Otherwise your going to graze ur hands in the tight space!

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 06:55:36 pm »
Top man. Yeah it does look really tight thanks for the tip. I'll get this done soonish.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l01agv7u0jf8jbp3vkgu31tim7&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
Ive just done my cambelt, water pump and both the thermostats. Mine is an 05. Ur inline stat is pretty easy to locate. Heres a pic to help u. If u imagine ur car didnt have the front end on its on the pipe to the left of the throttle body pipe.  I took a couple pics. Its on the pipe with the yellow writing.  The actual stat is next to the wiring loom

Dont even bother trying without hose clip pliers

I've changed the inline stat by the battery. But can't find another one.

Are you sure an AXX engine with dsg would have two??

see pic below.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2015, 01:42:32 pm »
I have finally ordered the inline stat and I'm looking at replacing it either this weekend or next.

The coolant in my car has already been changed fairly recently so I don't really want to have to drain it all out if I can help it so I was wondering is it possible to plug the ends of the hoses that I will disconnect rather than draining it all out and filling the system again?

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:18 am »
Managed to change my inline thermostat yesterday in the baking sun (not the best move!) Pretty easy to do apart from refitting the hose clips, as the mole grips just kept slipping off. Luckily Homebase is literally a stones throw away from my house so I ended up buying some screw in ones, replacing the impossible tension ones.

In hindsight I should have brought proper hose clip pliers but at the same time I'm not 100% on reusing the tension clips anyway.

So now my car hits 90 degrees in about 5 minutes whilst previously it would take 2-3 times as long.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:34:58 am by GTIEagles »

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »
Doing this job on Monday.
Hoping to do the main stat and the two inline stats.
2005 model AXX DSG car
This thread has been a godsend. Major respect, and a huge thanks to Human Joist and all the contributors :happy2:

Wish me luck!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:35:08 pm by ducman77 »

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »
My stat is stuck so bought it today but when I asked about fitting someone has told me that I need to re-code the throttle body taking parts off is this true?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:46 pm »
My stat is stuck so bought it today but when I asked about fitting someone has told me that I need to re-code the throttle body taking parts off is this true?

Neither the inline or main stat require the throttle body to be removed so not an issue. Also don't believe it would need coding even if it was removed

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 04:38:06 pm »
I have two brand new never inline stats for sale at just over half the price of brand new ones...just saying  :happy2:

Offline Carl123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »

Neither the inline or main stat require the throttle body to be removed so not an issue. Also don't believe it would need coding even if it was removed

Thank you this is what I thought I'm gonna go somewhere else to get it done also I was told it's about 3hrs labour is that right?

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 08:33:44 pm »
Yeah fraid so 3hrs as it's deep in there  :sad1: