Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change your inline thermostats.  (Read 57287 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: How to change your inline thermostats.
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »
Have a check around the plastic flanges that attach to the block under the chain cover, above the gearbox.  There’s an O ring that likes to go hard and leak.  The KO4 engines also suffer from a slight head gasket weep from the rear corner (pass side) of the head, which is what mines doing.  Mine takes about 6-9 months to drop from max to min.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:43:11 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »
Guys does anyone know how much coolent it would need to fill back up the system? Also are there any bleed nipples to get the air locks out? Thanks
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:29 am »
About 2 litres.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2018, 04:07:44 pm »
So I went to change mine today thinking it'd be a nice easy job. It was, there isn't one! Which is a bit of a bugger as it means I'm going to have to delve into the depths and change the main thermostat.  :doh: if anyone needs a genuine inline thermostat drop me a pm £20 posted. By the way mines an 06 manual BWA.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:26:51 pm by Octoparrot »

Offline griff30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »
  Cheers for the info Pudding. Didn’t know I’d have to undo engine mount to remove alternator though... changing thermostat took 5 maybe 10 mins on my old mini!     
max amplitude:  VW call the inline ones “coolant regulator” or something very similar. They first told me only one but then when we looked I recognised the shape of the part under that name. But now it looks like I don’t have one anyway...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2018, 11:40:39 am »
No worries.

Yeah I also have a spare inline thermostat  :grin:

The main one is easy once the alternator is off.   It's a great opportunity to check / replace the serpentine belt, alternator clutch pulley and the electric after-run water pump  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2018, 10:51:30 pm »
Does anyone have a part number for the main thermostat? Thanks

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »
So I went to change mine today thinking it'd be a nice easy job. It was, there isn't one! Which is a bit of a bugger as it means I'm going to have to delve into the depths and change the main thermostat.  :doh: if anyone needs a genuine inline thermostat drop me a pm £20 posted. By the way mines an 06 manual BWA.

Bit of a thread from the dead but I’ve just had exactly the same thing. Went to change the inline down the front of the engine and there isn’t one! 55 plate manual so I’m pretty confused. Did changing the main stat solve it for you?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2019, 08:59:57 pm »
Yes changing the main thermostat cured the problem completely but I did also change both temp sensors at the same time as well just to be on the safe side. Car hits 90 degrees and stays there regardless after about 3 miles.

Offline Ollieeee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2019, 03:18:11 pm »
Yes changing the main thermostat cured the problem completely but I did also change both temp sensors at the same time as well just to be on the safe side. Car hits 90 degrees and stays there regardless after about 3 miles.

Great stuff, fingers crossed then.

Offline Jamesf1010

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2022, 07:22:25 am »
Hi there, I've just acquired a 2007 GTI a couple of months ago and been having the same issue with the temperature gauge dropping.

I had the main thermostat replaced by a garage last week but this hasn't resolved the issue. It generally takes a good while to heat up and usually falls back when on the motorway / over 50mph.

I have looked at the 'secret' climate control menu the past few drives and it tends to be sitting around 66-70 degrees Celsius. It has been up to the high eighties but that was after a decent drive then sitting stationery for a while.

My heating works ok and have looked through the other threads and can't really see what else might be causing it other than a second thermostat also needing changed? Would changing the sensors be likely fix this or any other ideas as to what it might be?

I'm taking it back to the garage this week for another test but apparently there weren't any faults showing up last time that would have indicated a problem here so not sure what the next step is.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers