Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change your inline thermostats.  (Read 57294 times)

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
How to change your inline thermostats.
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:16:58 pm »
Right. I have had a problem recently whereby my car is taking an age to warm up. Getting to work 9 miles and it's not even reaching 70 degrees so I did a lot of hunting round and found a few bits but no guide so thought I would post one up. The pictures were taken after the work so I will explain what's going on. I discovered that our cars have more than one thermostat. Mine is a 2005 dsg model so actually has three. Manuals only have two so as you can guess the third one is for the dsg box. They don't open till engine is up to temp so obviously this will stop the car reaching temp as the flow will not be restricted when cold as VW intended.

Anyway first things first. You need to drain the coolant. Apparently there is a few purpose designed drainage points that tend to break when opened and also are hard to get too. I discovered on an American site (although a long-winded thread the coolant drainage point was very good)

Jack the car and remove the reservoir cap then underneath the car between the sump and the radiator you will see this little gem. Seperate pipe from the unit. (Yellow and red arrows) then leave for the coolant to drain. Obviously it goes without saying leave the car to bee completely cold as red hot water is not nice on the face.

Now that's done we will remove the inline thermostats. First remove the engine cover for more view and access. Starting with the gearbox if you look at the engine between the battery and air intake. You can just about see it in the middle of the picture.

They look like this but black

And zoomed in you can see the stat in the middle of the pic under the plug. Remove the plug then undo the spring clips with mole grips or similar and then you can take the stat out swap and replace. The spring clips can be alkwood depending on which they round they are but all manageable. This one is easy to swap.

Now for the other one infront of the engine. A bit harder to do but not rocket science.
Once you find it it's easy from there.
It's down under the dip stick vertical.

Closer view again

Don't worry about how tight it is you don't need to strip the car back. I discovered an easy way. Underneath the car undo the spring clip for the pipe bellow the stat and seperate then go back above and you will see the metal pipe that comes from the top of the stat. Trace it back to here pointy finger job

Move a pipe and undo this spring clip in the middle of the pic that's rubber pipe on to metal pipe

Now there are two bolts holding the metal pipe on. One is in the middle right of this picture and another one further round towards the front. With this loose, this pipe will come up and out of the way with the stat still attached. It's a little tight to get out and then in but by far the easiest and quickest way. Once it's out change the stat and then reinstall.

Both of mine were open so I could blow through them while cold and I could not close them with mole grips squeezing the life out of them. Well seized open.

Next when the pipes are all back on its time for the coolant. Use G13+ from VW. Nothing else is better and it's not that expensive. The two stats and the two bottles of G13+ were about £60 with trade discount can't really recall the price now. I put one bottle in neat then filled the bottle with tap water (no need for distilled) then tip that in. Next split the next bottle in half with the now empty one and top both up with water. This will have given you 3ltrs of 50/50 in the car and 2 bottles of 50/50 ready mixed. Simples. Now top the car with coolant and then run the engine till it reaches 90. Check the level and then go out and have a drive taking the coolant with you just in case. After a little drive leave it overnight. Check the level and top up.

I had to do this twice to get the level right. Now the car heats to 90 in about 3 miles even in the 5 degree temp.

I have had a few beers so hope this reads ok. Let me know if you need any more info or advice. Or if it's not clear.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:28:39 pm by Human Joist »

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: How to change your inline thermostats.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:21:39 pm »
Fair play to you mate, thanks for the DIY. :happy2:

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:15 am »
Very clear write up and pics. Thanks!
I will giving this a go as soon as the weather improves.

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:48:51 am »
Nice one mate - good write up  :happy2:

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:34 pm »
Cracking job there mate-  that should help people - even better if someone makes it a sticky in the "How to Guides/Troubleshooting".

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:40:40 am »
Really good guide here.
Hadn't read it before.
Linking to the DIY thread.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:26 am »
Found this the other day. Worth getting for the hard to reach spring clips. Will save some time. It's purpose designed for the job with a ratchet so once you have the clip it won't pop off. Available most parts places I should imagine. Just ordered mine.

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 10:14:37 am »
Got a link?

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:13:50 am »
These are from draper direct. They are on eBay and most parts places sell them.

http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2citmdsp.pgm?pp_skmno=89793&ipadd=83.217.166.151

Any draper stockist can get these. You may be able to do it with normal tools like I did. But if one is hard to get to you can save lots of time with these.

Offline 06Hirons

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »
Does anyone have the part number to hand for the one of left hand side of engine?
I have a manual, so only need the part number for this one.

Thanks

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »
The coolant regulators be it 1 or 2 are the same part:

4E0 121 113

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:48:52 pm »
Does anybody know if these are the same for the standard GTi and an Edition30?

I think i read that the main thermostat for the Ed30 has a higher opening temp.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 09:05:26 am »
@Human Joist you seem to be the man on this issue. From looking around your name is popping up everywhere!

Tell me, I have a 2005 manual so only 2 thermostats correct? Do I have 2 inline thermostats but one is classed as main and the other is the bypass?

I can't really tell from your how to, which one is the "main" thermostat that people keep referring to as the culprit?

On your how to, your first pic says "Starting with the gearbox if you look at the engine between the battery and air intake. You can just about see it in the middle of the picture" Is that to say that this is the third dsg gearbox sensor you're tackling?

Thanks!

Offline hunter2003k

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:10:53 am »
While im replacing my cylinder head i thought i would change both thermostats on my golf, however my 2005 55 plate dosn't have an inline thermostat, has anyone else noticed this?

Offline Jonnyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 01:11:53 pm »
Can you only get the in-line cooling regulators from the dealers?