Make a donation

Author Topic: 2099 miles......  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
2099 miles......
« on: September 27, 2009, 09:58:58 pm »
26.6 MPG,
45 hours 56 minutes,
46 MPH;

These are the figures taken off my on board computer 2, from my recent 12 day trip to and around the south of France, with my wife and 2 of my 3 kids, 6 months and 2 1/2 (my 8 year old lives with my ex in case you were wondering why only two came with me!).  We had the car fully loaded, boot and rear foot wells, and bear in mind I don't hang around on the toll roads - 80-100mph!

Just to remind you it is an 08 ED30 DSG, 5 door, with Oettinger stage 2 inc torque de limit, TBE Milltek resonated, Carbonspeed intake and eibach springs, and has now covered just 8000 miles!  It is my 3rd MKV golf and about my 9th golf overall.

The car performed faultlessly, was an absolute dream to drive, loads of power, torque and comfort.  I could not think of another car within the price range, and even slightly higher that  I would have wanted to take instead.  It just re-installs, what i already know already, that this car is such a good all-rounder.

The only minus points for me is the crappy stereo system (my previous 3 cars have had factory upgrades - BOSE and BMW's HIFI, so Ive been a bit spoilt), even my wife complained about the tininess - if I were keeping it this would be getting upgraded, and the parrot MKi9200, that I recently installed was so temperamental with my iPhone 3GS when playing my itunes, however there is a new software upgrade that I have just carried out that should have cured this - Just wish i knew about this before I went!

In fact the trip back yesterday, was 820 miles door to door, I drove the whole way, bar and hour and a half, had thee cruise set at 80 the whole way, bar the last hour where we had to sprint a bit more for the tunnel, and it returned 28.7 mpg, with a range of approx 350 miles per tank, which is particularly helpful, as especially as my previous RS4 with better/similar performance would had a range of approx 220 miles per its bigger tank, as similar speeds!

So well done, its 9 1/2 out of 10 to  Volkswagen for the ED30, just the stereo letting it down, for the half a point, and my car doesn't even have xenon's, which Ive always had, but with with the upgraded Osram nightbreaker bulbs, that I have fitted in the dip and main beam bulbs, the headlights are fantastic - Not to say when getting my R20 up I will be looking forward to having xenon's again.

On the subject of the R20, I am speaking to my dealer tomorrow to get the low down, and spec, if available, but my spec will be somewhere as follows;

5 door
DSG
upgraded hifi
bluetooth
heated seats
lumber
armrest
Highline - standard??
Half leather
rear side airbags - if its an option?

And hopefully white, but grey if they don't do it!

The ONLY reason I won't be getting this car yet, is I'm 85% through doing an extension on our house, and we are well over budget-surprise, surprise!, so I might need to hold off and plough more capital into bricks and mortar, but I have been waiting 3 years, since I got my original orders signed with VW, for the next R Golf, and now it is the 2.0TFSI 4wd, I couldn't think of a better combination, so I can see nothing getting in my way! :drool:

Just as a side-note my car will be coming up for sale shortly (I've only owned it 2 months to the day, and before you say, this isn't a big sales pitch for it, as I would be keeping it if the R wasn't coming out)  I will be looking for £20.5k for it, as it stands, it is immaculate throughout, and gets valeted on a weekly basis, and there is not a swirl in sight!  PM me if you are interested.  I can put it back to standard if needed for a lesser price
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:16:21 pm by Oli »
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: 2099 miles......
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:00:01 am »

Good to read yet another confirmation of what a great all-rounder the GTI is.

It'll be interesting to read your comparisons with an R20 one day, though the idea of the R20 in grey sounds as if it will dull it down too much - Like the Mk6 GTI the R20 might be more colour sensitive than the Mk5.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:08:54 am »
glad you had a great time.

I love trips like that! ;)

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:30:18 am »
if they don't do the R in white from the spec list, surely you could request it be done in white, i mean its not like its a colour you made up, they do the gti in white so i cant see why they cant dip an R in the same paint pot too?!

Candy

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:18 am »

Good to read yet another confirmation of what a great all-rounder the GTI is.

It'll be interesting to read your comparisons with an R20 one day, though the idea of the R20 in grey sounds as if it will dull it down too much -
Like the Mk6 GTI the R20 might be more colour sensitive than the Mk5.

:happy2:

Thats just a quote out of a magazine that gets used by people every time a new model comes out.  :laugh:
If the grey dulls it down then surely that will make it less colour sensetive.  :smiley:  :P

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:46 am »
Fantastic post mate, having driven down to the Algrave in Portugal in my old ED30 with similar mods I couldn't agree more mate, they are awesome cars  :happy2: :wink:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:36:27 am »

if they don't do the R in white from the spec list, surely you could request it be done in white, i mean its not like its a colour you made up, they do the gti in white so i cant see why they cant dip an R in the same paint pot too?!

....You could always vinyl wrap it in white - Costs about £1,500 for a Golf.

This GTR is black underneath the white vinyl : -

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 07:26:30 pm »
Dont talk to me about house extensions.. we went well over and now the wife is on maternity my new car has been put on hold - the R20 could be on the cards though for middle of next year. 

I was talking to a friend about an RS4 the other day and I said how a matt black (wrapped) would look great - maybe an R20 would look good too....

Peskarik

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »
what's torque de limit ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:01:24 pm »

I was talking to a friend about an RS4 the other day and I said how a matt black (wrapped) would look great - maybe an R20 would look good too....

....A black RS4 Avant came hammering past me on dual carriageway yesterday he must have been going well over the ton - Great stance and look so much better than the sedans.

A matt black wrapped Golf R would look the dog's danglies imo :drool:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

There is a matt black wrapped RS4 on rs4.com, looks the doggies danglies!!!

And the torque de limit is my terminology fir the dsg re-map that allows all of the torque through the dsg gearbox, where usually it is limited!!  Does that help??

....Yes, much easier to understand. I think Hurdy can confirm that a DSG remap takes it up to 500Nm.