Make a donation

Author Topic: Joshy's Mk5 Golf Gti build thread  (Read 29918 times)

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Joshy's Mk5 Golf Gti build thread
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
Thinking about upgrading my brakes. Went out for a drive with my friend earlier and my brakes seem as strong as I thought they would be. It probably just needs new pads but I will eventually be upgrading the whole setup.

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:07 pm »
3rd post in a row, sorry!

Got a bit bored tonight and decided to think about my air ride build. The i decided to try and model what i wanted. So far i've got the bottom bit of the build that will be made to be the same shape as the boot carpet. The cut out is to allow access to the wheel well as the second part pf the build will have a box type thing that some air stuff will sit in!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:08:18 pm »
Excuse the terrible photos. Iphones and crappy light do not mix. I'm also sorry for the mucky car! I need to order some more products :sad1:
Anyway, debadged the car just now - Way too cold for it! Also, my blanking grommet for the rear window turned up!

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:44 am »
XJay1337 - Absolutely steal that! Will have a look around and keep on eye on the for sale section/ebay

M1Whitey - Yeah i understand! Will have a look online for one if its getting warmer and i haven't upgraded the intake yet!

Leigh200sx - Thank you! I was impressed with the spec when i first look at the car which is one of the reasons i bought it. The BCS sounds pretty amazing. Think i'm going for the one without the power valve though. I think i need to wait till i've got a r32 bumper though as im not sure if you can fit the r32 bumper with a standard exhaust

Mine is a none power valve.. I also have a r32 style rear bumper but with gti exit exhaust...

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 08:17:54 am »
I meant I can't have a r32 bumper with centre exits, while I still have the left exit exhaust system :)

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:35 am »
Are you having a bcs twin center exit then? I didn't realise they did one, other wise I may of had that

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:53 pm »
Are you having a bcs twin center exit then? I didn't realise they did one, other wise I may of had that
I am planning on getting that, yes :) I emailed them the other day, and im pretty sure theres another member on here with one.

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 11:13:09 pm »
Went out with some mates tonight. Got a better picture of the rear of the car. I know its really dirty, im waiting for an order to turn up :sad1:

Also managed to get a photo of my curbed wheel :fighting: Not happy. Did this on the first day i got the car. Also realised the rims have been plasti dipped by the previous owner!

Thats not the worst part though. After parking the car, i could hear air coming from somewhere, turned out it was the rear right side tyre. Managed to get a nice sharp bit of metal in it, so had to fit the space saver!

I did figure out how to use launch control though aha!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 03:30:29 pm »
Well, i got up this morning and thought it would be a perfect day to wash the car since im off from work and uni. I started out with this! :sick:

As you can see, it was horrible.
I started out with some Auto Finesse Avalanche snow foam. I can't say i'm impressed by this product yet as it didn't seem thick compared to the Chemical Guys Honey Dew foam i was using on my old car. It also didn't seem to drag as much dirt off as i'd expected. Maybe i just didn't use enough!

After rinsing the remaining foam off the car, i used the 2 bucket method with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash + Gloss. I absolutely love this stuff!

Got the car dried up and started cleaning the glass. I used AG Fast Glass and the results were pretty good. I probably could have cleaned the inside of the windows better but they still look good. The whole car was polished with some AG Super Resin Polish, and then i went back over the car with some Poorboys Black Hole. The tyres and plastic trims were treated to some Chemical Guys New Trim Gel. I was surprised at how well the skirts and rear valance came up with this stuff. Unfortunately it started to rain so i headed inside. I still need to put some wax and seal the paintwork!

While cleaning the car i did notice quite a few paint work problems that i want sorting. So that probably means a full respray if the bit can't be sorted without it! Only found 1 dent though, the rest are scratches and marks!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »
Finally managed to get the rear wiper off this morning as the wiper puller tool i ordered arrived!
That panel that covers the motor was definitely the worst thing i've ever had to remove :fighting:

Went from this

To this after spending half an hour polishing around the hole with AG fast glass!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
Well i bought a badgeless grill on ebay as an impulse buy.
So i went from this:

to this:

I need to get that notch in the bonnet sorted now! I assume that when my car is actually clean, these wont be an exact match, but we shall see! I've not got my plate in the window, but i have no idea how to position it and how to secure it!

Im concerned about the gap between the bottom of the two grills though, im pretty sure they should be flush!?

Im not sure if i actually like this grill! Might look better when i've cleaned the car. Will leave it for a bit, if i dont like it, i'll get a smooth one with the badge instead.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:15:24 pm by Joshy »

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 09:00:39 pm »
Oops. Started this earlier. Got to want for the tanks to arrive so some more measurements can be taken :wink:

Also took some photos of the grille. Decided i don't like it, so that will be up for sale asap, Im going to go back to my old grille, not sure if i should try to fill the holes up myself. Hmm.

Offline m1whitey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • mk5 GTI black
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 08:51:39 pm »
Did you get anything sorted with the missing part on intake mate?

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 09:21:37 pm »
Did you get anything sorted with the missing part on intake mate?
No mate, i've not yet. I'd actually forgot about it until i opened the bonnet the other day! Thats another thing on my urgent "to do list" :happy2:

Offline m1whitey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • mk5 GTI black
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 09:51:29 pm »
i picked up the part again the other day from vw. The oem intake is a bag of sh*t. worst design ever haha. the top cover wont even clip in this time. i advise tying it down if you get one cus im on my 3rd now lol… IF i ever manage to get it on!