Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Projector headlights  (Read 27648 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
OEM Projector headlights
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:25 am »
Is it possible to buy the OEM front projector headlight cluster thing, and retrofit it onto my car (Obviously, I dont have xenons) I've seen someone on uk-mkiv's that did it, but he never replied to me about it, so i dunno if he used the OEM part, or he got one from elsewhere.

My intention is not to convert to xenons, but I just like the look of a bulb coming out of a projector dome, rather than what I have now.

Cheers!  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: OEM Projector headlights
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 09:45:49 am »
If your gonna buy them you may as well go the whole hog! JPC is fitting some to his GT at the moment. Check his ride thread out.

BTW, the xenon units are a lot more silver inside than the standard GTI lights. I wasn't keen on how spangly they were on  my old GTI so was happy not to have them next time  :santa:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 10:20:07 am »
Hella make them and are on eBay

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:33 am »

BTW, the xenon units are a lot more silver inside than the standard GTI lights. I wasn't keen on how spangly they were on  my old GTI so was happy not to have them next time  :santa:
I thought folk got the xenon option more for their better light output vs cosmetics...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:51:34 am »
Hella make them and are on eBay

Nice one!! I never really think to look on ebay!

Im guessing an OEM part would be $$$$$ more expensive?!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 02:20:33 pm »
Personally I would never have a car without xenons again, the light output at night is far superior than standard halogens. I went out in my mums GT sport the other night and that has halogens and I had to check if they were on or not when I was driving on a particularly dark section of road, plus I think the xenon units spruce the front of the GTI up a bit.  :happy2: :jumpmove:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:23:04 pm »
Chris are you saying you want the OEM xenon look cluster, but still have the halogen beam.  :smiley:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:20 pm »
Personally I would never have a car without xenons again, the light output at night is far superior than standard halogens. I went out in my mums GT sport the other night and that has halogens and I had to check if they were on or not when I was driving on a particularly dark section of road, plus I think the xenon units spruce the front of the GTI up a bit.  :happy2: :jumpmove:

Yeah agree with you completely.

I went from a car that had xenons to the Golf without, and the difference is crazy - as you say! But £750 for xenons that VW charge, compared to £450 that BMW charged was a bit of a joke! I've upgraded the bulbs, and now they are bluey/whitey and dont look too dissimilar a xenon light, so the projector lenses will top it all off nicely!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:28:02 pm by WhiteGTI »

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 02:25:14 pm »
Chris are you saying you want the OEM xenon look cluster, but still have the halogen beam.  :smiley:

Yep!

Combined with my uprated bulbs as mentioned in my above post, I think it will be pretty close to the xenon look (although not actual light intensity and amount of output that a proper xenon brings)!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

matt a

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:33:14 pm »
As said Hella make them and are on ebay.de/ebay.co.uk for around £350 well designed cluster too.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 02:36:59 pm »

I went from a car that had xenons to the Golf without, and the difference is crazy - as you say! But £750 for xenons that VW charge, compared to £450 that BMW charged was a bit of a joke! I've upgraded the bulbs, and now they are bluey/whitey and dont look too dissimilar a xenon light, so the projector lenses will top it all off nicely!

They are very expensive but worth it IMO. It was the first box I ticked when I purchased my car. I am looking into getting a 170 diesel at the moment and trying to find one with xenons is impossible so I would do the D.I.Y fitting like Jay. I just have to have them if you know what I mean  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 02:37:25 pm »
As said Hella make them and are on ebay.de/ebay.co.uk for around £350 well designed cluster too.

Have you got a link.  :smiley:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »

They are very expensive but worth it IMO. It was the first box I ticked when I purchased my car. I am looking into getting a 170 diesel at the moment and trying to find one with xenons is impossible so I would do the D.I.Y fitting like Jay. I just have to have them if you know what I mean  :happy2:

Might consider this yeah. Likewise, was the first box I ticked on my previous car! Really do miss them!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 02:48:15 pm »
Can anyone with access to the VW parts program thing give me the OEM part number? Just interested at what VW charge!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp