Make a donation

Author Topic: Emission control light after a spirited drive  (Read 899 times)

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Emission control light after a spirited drive
« on: July 26, 2022, 07:35:04 am »
Morning all,

Took the Ed30 out for a spirited drive yesterday and towards the end of the run the EML came on, unfortunately the tablet for my obd reader has decided not to work so I can’t can’t get any codes.

I’ve noticed that the car has lost a lot of power but the idle is stable which is making me think it’s the n80/blowoff recirc valve, does this sound probable?

It is mapped and research suggests those valves don’t hold up, is revision G the correct one to go for?

Cheers

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=48rb1l7iaq4o8kpu504q1o3617&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Emission control light after a spirited drive
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 08:14:40 am »
It could be in limp mode rather than just physically losing boost. Rev G is the correct DV to go for if replacing but bottom line is you need to get it scanned really before you start throwing money at parts.

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:46:15 am »
It could be in limp mode rather than just physically losing boost. Rev G is the correct DV to go for if replacing but bottom line is you need to get it scanned really before you start throwing money at parts.

Cheers Clark, got a mate with an code reader but have to wait until friday.

I don't think it's in limp mode as it lets me rev all the way round the clock still, might unplug the DV and see if it gains power back.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=48rb1l7iaq4o8kpu504q1o3617&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:00:34 am »

I don't think it's in limp mode as it lets me rev all the way round the clock still, might unplug the DV and see if it gains power back.

Be careful unplugging the DV. I'm sure I read before that unplugging a turbo DV and then boosting can cause some serious issues for your turbo.

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:15 am »

Be careful unplugging the DV. I'm sure I read before that unplugging a turbo DV and then boosting can cause some serious issues for your turbo.

Yeah it can and will cause damage long term as it will cause compressor stall, for the purpose of a quick diagnosis I think it’ll be safe but if anyone advises against it then I will avoid  :happy2:

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 02:46:21 pm »
if its a Bluetooth obd reader - in case the EML is gnawing at your brain - they tend to be easy to use with free phone apps