Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change Fuel Pump Cam Follower on 2.0 TFSi  (Read 116199 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
How to change Fuel Pump Cam Follower on 2.0 TFSi
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:48:47 pm »
Ok here's another Tutorial. This is done on a MK2 Skoda Octavia vRS but i would imagine the process is the same or pretty similar for all 2.0 TFSi Engines. I have had a look round on the net and not been able to find a tutorial for this. Apologies if someone has done this already.

Before i start the usual disclaimer

NEITHER I NOR MK5GolfGTI WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU UNDERTAKE THE PROCESS DETAILED BELOW AND SOMETHING GOES WRONG. YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Ok formalities out the way here we go.

You will need the following:

T30 Torx Bit
13mm Ratchet Spanner / Ring or Open ended Spanner
17mm Open Ended Spanner
Cloth
New Cam Follower Part no. - 06D 109 309 C

Ok this whole process took me about 45mins which included taking pics and setting TDC. Ensure that nobody opens the driver door throughout this or you will end up with a nice stream of fuel all over you as this charges the fuel system when doing this. To get around you can just disconnect the battery.

Firstly remove engine cover. To do this just pull up firmly but slowly till the rubber lugs pop of the housing.

I didn't take any Pics of setting TDC as i had to use a small dentist type mirror and torch to be able to see what i was doing and it would never have worked on a picture.

Basically to set TDC undo the 2 left hand nuts at the side of the Cylinder head. You will need 2 people to do this next bit.

GENTLY and i mean gently pull back the side of the cover and look at the cogs on which the timing belt is sat. The biggest cog which is nearest the front of the engine at the top has a Small arrow on the left had side as you look at it. Also on the side of the engine just above the cog is a small arrow again. The aim is to get these 2 in line so you know your engine is at Top Dead Centre or TDC. Now to move the cog round put the engine in gear (i found it easiest in 4th) and have someone gently rock the car forwards to get the cog to turn. You keep your eye on the side of the timing cog looking for the small arrow. Keep doing this until the 2 Arrows are in line. Once this is done apply the handbrake and then tighten up the nuts on the cover as you don't need access to it again.

Im not sure if you have to Set TDC. When i installed the Autotech internals i was told that you must do it. So as you are removing the fuel pump i always do it just to be safe. If anyone with any mechanical expertise knows different please let me know.

Now we are ready to tackle the pump.

Firstly disconnect the 2 electrical connectors.

The next thing to do is to let out any excess fuel in the pump. On the lower right hand side their is a pressure valve. Remove the black dust cap then using a screwdriver or allen key press in the valve (same as on a tyre) and hold in till all fuel is released. Ensure you place a cloth underneath to catch the excess.

Once you have done that using a 13mm Ratchet spanner/Ring spanner. Remove this valve ensuring you leave the cloth underneath as a bit more fuel will leak out. You have to remove this valve to get at the bottom bolt on the pump.

Now depending on how old your car is you will either have 2 metal pipes or 1 metal 1 rubber pipe at the bottom of the pump. Mine has 1 metal 1 rubber so the process is quite easy. I am assuming (but haven't seen the other fitting) that the 2 metal pipes are held in by the same size nut. Any way take a 17mm open end spanner and undo the nut all the way till it falls down the metal pipe. Again make sure cloth is underneath to catch any excess fuel.

Once this is done you are now ready to tackle removing the pump. The pump is held in by 3 x T30 Torx bolts. Undo these bolts and remove. The pump will now come away from the engine.

Inside you will see the cam follower. Using your little finger just pull it out. Check for signs of wear. This one has covered 14 k miles since it was last changed but i don't think that wear is too excessive.

Take a new cam follower and place into the hole you took the old one from. There is no need to coat it in oil/fuel etc as it comes already coated in the little pot it is delivered in.

Once done you are now ready to put the pump back on.

Firstly line up pump and push up against engine so it is flush. Then by hand only tighten the 3 x T30 Torx bolts. This ensures the bolts don't cross thread etc. Once your happy the bolts are as tight as you can do it with your fingers and they are not cross threaded then using your T30 Torx bit tighten up the bolts. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Basically do these hand tight using a ratchet. But DO NOT apply to much force. If you knacker the thread holding the pump in it's gonna become expensive.

Once they are done then reconnect the metal pipe at the bottom using hands first so no cross threading then the 17mm spanner. Note the nut does not go all the way to the top.

Then reconnect the pressure valve using the 13mm Ratchet Spanner/Ring Spanner and replace the dust cap.

Now reconnect the 2 electrical connectors and check everything is all seated properly and correct.

If you disconnected the battery reconnect it. Put keys in ignition turn it on and then open drivers door 2-3 times to charge up the fuel system and get rid of any air in it. Once that is done start engine and check all is ok no leaks from around pump etc.

If you have VCDS check no faults and Voila all done.

As i said took me 45 mins including taking pics. You could quite easily do it in about 25-30mins.

Comments good or bad welcome

HIH

Carl :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: How to change Fuel Pump Cam Follower on 2.0 TFSi
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:55:56 pm »
Very nice Carl. :congrats:

I can assure you setting TDC on a DSG car is a whole different story but as they say nothing is impossible especially when you have a handy Stu.  :wink:

Your refief valve looks like its seen some 'action'.  :confused:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:00:23 pm »

I can assure you setting TDC on a DSG car is a whole different story but as they say nothing is impossible especially when you have a handy Stu.  :wink:

Your refief valve looks like its seen some 'action'.  :confused:

Yup i had to use a hammer and Socket at one point. Basically whichever cowboy :surprised: :innocent: it was that installed the Autotech internals put it back on too tight and when it came to undoing it the edges of it just rounded  :fighting:. So now mine takes an 11mm Socket not a 13mm ratchet but for everyone else they need a 13mm one  :signLOL:

Carl :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:36:10 pm »

I can assure you setting TDC on a DSG car is a whole different story but as they say nothing is impossible especially when you have a handy Stu.  :wink:

Your refief valve looks like its seen some 'action'.  :confused:

I'm still reeling from the experience - Mentally scared would be an understatement.

I think I'd sooner see you in your mankini than do that again - Hmmm, maybe it wasn't sooo bad. :stupid:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:45:30 pm »
I'm still reeling from the experience - Mentally scared would be an understatement.

I think I'd sooner see you in your mankini than do that again - Hmmm, maybe it wasn't sooo bad. :stupid:

I'll see what I can do.  :booty:  :wink:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 12:33:58 pm »
 :congrats:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:28:36 pm »
How do you know when it needs replacing please ? & is there any more we should check please ?.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:33:50 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 02:57:16 pm »
being non mechanical...what does it do?

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »
How do you know when it needs replacing please ? & is there any more we should check please ?.
+1

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:09:14 pm »
Any one ?.

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48:29 pm »
Have a long read of these threads:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3750088&page=1
http://www.carsinspections.com/gr/technical_presentations/tfsi-camfollower/tom.html
http://briskoda.net/maintenance-performance/2-0tfsi-uprated-fuel-pump-cam-follower-wear/108170/
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3743747&page=3

More of a problem if you have modified fuel pump fitted.

It is also worth reading up on the revision A cams that are fitted to the earlier TFSI engines and these were made out of chocolate.
Here is how to check whether you have a revision A or B cam fitted:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3754451
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:53:59 pm by Bogwoppit »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:01:17 am »
Thanks for that mate, :happy2: some good info there.So it seems to be more common if there has been an up-graded fuel fitted ?.

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:52 am »
Thanks for that mate, :happy2: some good info there.So it seems to be more common if there has been an up-graded fuel fitted ?.

:congrats:

Nice one fella  :happy2:
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline dan.payne

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:44 am »
How much was the new Cam Follower out of interest?
GTi Edition 30 Phase 2+ :jumping:

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:45 pm »
Just over £20. I have got one sat in the garage waiting to be fitted.
Car is standard, FSH, with 26k on clock so I will take some photos of the old follower and add them to this thread if thats ok?