Make a donation

Author Topic: Dom's Tornado Red Gti - A bit of detailing  (Read 34445 times)

Offline cicco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 05:52:51 pm »
Lovely car you got there love the mk6 touches. your mk4 looks awesome too, i used to have one on air.
looks good on the H&R springs, what does it ride like? mines on 20mm ebiachs and would like it a little lower.

Any pics of your MK4? The H&Rs ride really well, massive improvement on standard! Much tighter in the corners and less crashy on the motorway!

yeah i love how the ebachs handle and ride, i just think i need the car a little lower, so its good to know the H&R are a good option.
heres my fav pic of my mk4.

Offline GT170

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • Petrol Head
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 06:59:33 pm »
Nice work!
Love the interior, reminds me of my mk1
Now have my third Golf
1st  in 1994 - 1983 GTI Mark 1
2nd in 2002  - 2002 GTI 2.0 Mark 4
3rd in 2014   - 2007 GT TSI 170

Offline Tracey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87962.0.html
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 07:30:18 pm »
Tornado red is my favourite color on the MK5 just behind Grey (Mainly because I have Grey  :laugh: ) Love the MK6 bits, Father has a MK6 and always considering robbing his wheel and RCD510  :smiley: Do you plan do bag the MK5? I had bagged MK4 myself and now have bagged MK5 and MK5 a lot more comfortable :happy2: Good Luck with it

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
Nice work!
Love the interior, reminds me of my mk1

Cheers :happy2:

Tornado red is my favourite color on the MK5 just behind Grey (Mainly because I have Grey  :laugh: ) Love the MK6 bits, Father has a MK6 and always considering robbing his wheel and RCD510  :smiley: Do you plan do bag the MK5? I had bagged MK4 myself and now have bagged MK5 and MK5 a lot more comfortable :happy2: Good Luck with it

Haha, the red was a must for me! It will be bagged eventually, I'm good mates with Matt at Only Charged Dubs and he now supplies BC Racing Coilovers which he can convert into bagged struts. Coilovers will happen sometimes next year and then convert to air the year after.

I'm trying to stay a bit more sensible with this one :laugh:

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline Tracey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87962.0.html
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24:50 pm »

Haha, the red was a must for me! It will be bagged eventually, I'm good mates with Matt at Only Charged Dubs and he now supplies BC Racing Coilovers which he can convert into bagged struts. Coilovers will happen sometimes next year and then convert to air the year after.

I'm trying to stay a bit more sensible with this one :laugh:
[/quote]

Tell me about it ! Im the same .. had my MK4 wrapped matt brown with big boot build :L enjoying a normal car now  :happy2:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
Not really had much to update this with until now, part of the reason for this thread is to document everything that I do so I have a record of how everything progresses, so apologies if this isn't as interesting or as exciting as some builds on here!

Anyway, I spent yesterday with Matt at Only Charged Dubs where I managed to sort a few issues.

First my xenons haven't been self levelling since fitting the springs, luckily the rear level sensor had gone past its maximum point so that was an easy fix.

Next up was Passat subframe bolts, followed by an s3 short shifter. While I had my head near the gearbox I spotted the tell tale signs of a coolant leak. Closer inspection revealed that it's coming from a housing on the side of the head.

Since buying the car the tailgate has never sat properly, after spending a while adjusting the stops, hinges and latch it's much better, although I think the rear bumper and lights also need adjusting.

Continuing with bodywork, I got hold of a non-genuine wing from a mate to test fit.

After stripping the car down

It was apparent that the fitment was very poor

This was expected I guess, I had a good look at my wing while it was off and it doesn't look too bad, the metal itself is clean and the paint has just bubbled. I think I'm going to go down the route of having my wings repaired.

While the wing was off I removed the alarm siren as it hasn't worked since buying the car, this was mainly to check the part numbers so I can buy a new one.

Also spotted an oil leak that looks like the rocker cover gasket and a few bushes that are splitting slightly so these will be sorted along with the coolant leak in a couple of weeks.

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 12:43:32 pm »
Looks very similar to mine. Hope you get the rust sorted.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »
i would buy new wings  as it will only bubble back through

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:52 pm »
Looks very similar to mine. Hope you get the rust sorted.

Cheers! Just had a look at yours, don't think mine's anywhere near the standard of yours at the moment! Lovely car!

i would buy new wings  as it will only bubble back through

I'm going to get my local bodywork guy to take a look over it and see what he reckons. Obviously if he has any doubts about it then I'll get some genuine wings and have them painted up instead.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »
Now for another update, fitted a gloss black rear badge:

got the wings done under warranty along with a few other bits:

Car now looks like this:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:54 pm »
The more I see an R32 rear the more I want one! But I've just had my lowers painted like you had before so it's not top priority.

Your car looks great, it's coming on nicely. And it's good to see attention being paid to faults as well as the mods.

Oh and that's a nice mk4 too. Had an old slammed PD myself..

Keep up the good work

Offline Rholtby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
  • Rholtby - 2008 Edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:18 am »
Looking good. Glad the rust got sorted. Think I may copy you with the rear badge

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
Cheers for the comments :happy2:

I gave the engine bay a quick once over:

My brother was having some issues with his Ed30 last week so I popped over to take a look:

It ended up being a faulty PCV valve so temporarily I gave him mine and refitted by BSH revamp kit:

I had some tint film lying around from previous cars so decided to do the fogs:

I've been having issues with my tail light bulbs, they appear to be way too bright and look like this:

Does anyone have an recommendations for replacement bulbs?

Finally, I deleted the rear wiper the other day:

Offline BarberVW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 04:37:15 pm »
Looks brilliant Dom. Where did you get the gloss black rear badge? Been looking for ages...

Black 3 Door Manual | Bi-xenons | Winter pack | Luxury pack2 | Cruise control | Highline display | MFSW | 18" Monza 2's | Armrest | Glovebox MDI | Blue tint glass

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 06:21:19 pm »
This car looks as it has just left the factory! Awesome!  :laugh: