Make a donation

Author Topic: Dom's Tornado Red Gti - A bit of detailing  (Read 34198 times)

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »
Looks brilliant Dom. Where did you get the gloss black rear badge? Been looking for ages...

This is the badge that I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloss-Black-VW-Rear-Trunk-Lid-Badge-Emblem-Replacement-fit-for-Golf-MK6-09-12-/191136148878?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+VI&hash=item2c809a2d8e

I had to trim some tabs off the back and glue it in place as it's a MK6 one (although I was told the car had a Mk6 handled fitted).

This car looks as it has just left the factory! Awesome!  :laugh:

Cheers, it's pretty clean! Not perfect, but close!

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:13 pm »
Time for another update!

I popped into Only Charged Dubs for a service on Tuesday afternoon:

While I was there I decided that a set of coilovers was needed. Matt happened to have a set of BC Racing coilovers on the shelf, they were specced as 'extra low' when ordered so have the potential for a massive drop should I want it.

I arranged to go back on Friday to get them fitted. When I arrived Joe was finishing building them up:

We decided to set a small amount of negative camber (as yet unknown exactly how much - I'll go for alignment this week).

With the wheels off I gave the rear arches a check over and found two small areas of rust bubbling on the seam. I sanded it back to clean metal and treated it with a 'rust converter' to try and stop the spread. I'm going to tiger seal over the top to try and seal it all in.

Joe got cracking at removed the old suspension:

The car gave up a bit of a fight, one of the ball joint bolts snapped and then the driveshaft popped out inside the outer CV boot. They were all sorted pretty easily though.

We wound the coilovers all the way down to see what it would look like:

It was sat on the tyres and wouldn't get off the ramp :laugh:

I set a provisional ride height and headed home happy!

Sat morning I popped round to a mate's garage to get the brakes skimmed:

Like new:

I got the car home and cleaned it up ready for FittedUK on Sunday:

The eagled eyed amongst you will have also spotted a smooth grill and I ditched the yellow tint on the fogs.

This week I need 2 new tyres and full alignment, then I'll be skint for a while :signLOL:

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti now with BC Coilovers
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 08:58:32 pm »
So glad to see it went to a good home. Well done fella. Coming along nicely.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »
Wow, not updates this in ages! Hopefully this will be in the right order.

I needed 2 tyres and was getting a lot of scrubbing so ordered 2x215/35/18 Goodyear Eagle F1s, fitted them and ESP was having a fit due to mismatching tyres front/rear. I ordered a pair of 215/35/18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas and got them fitted. A bit of playing with VCDS and the speedo was reading correctly again.

Literally 2 weeks later I went to collect a new car for the other half and spotted this:

Yup, in a 2 week old tyre! Tried to repair it but the patch wouldn't seal:

Another tyre ordered  :scared:

Picture of it with said new car:

Fitted some nice chrome tipped switches:

Hit a massive section of road that had sunk causing this:

Luckily the sump didn't crack, a new CV boot was all that was needed.

Took it to Only Charged Dubs so Matt could chop my car up :confused:

Then went and got the alignment sorted:

It flew through it's MOT earlier:

Finally I've got a cam follower to fit and I'm collecting the parts for a boost gauge:

Took lots of random pictures:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 08:42:45 pm »
Also needed a new battery and had to have the rear arm bushes chopped out when the alignment was done, decided to have Powerflex bushes fitted. Haven't got any pictures of those though.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 09:34:18 pm »
Love this. In fact, I remember commenting on the R32 rear. Well, I've got an R32 rear at the bodyshop as we speak and I'm in on the Powervalve group buy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..!

Question about the front plate though.. is it undersize? And mounted on a smooth (US) grill? And if so do you get any trouble off the police?

It looks mint. One thing I'd love is a subtle plate that didn't overwhelm the front end like the standard one does. Yours is very tidy and subtle.

Apologies if you've posted about it, just had a quick scan through your build to catch up.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 11:23:10 pm »
Cheers, the R32 rear end is so much better than standard :happy2:

It's a 3/4 size plate with US grill, haven't had any problems with police. I'm on my 3rd one now though. The first was held on by magnets but I lost that when I did the damage underneath, the second was held on my suction cups and I lost that somewhere last week  :sad1:

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Dom's Tornado Red Gti - who left a brick in the road?!
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »
It's been a bitter-sweet few weeks with the car. I changed the cam follower a couple of weeks ago, it's done about 30k miles since it was last done so thought it was about time:

Annoying I snapped one of the PCV pipes, it was incredibly brittle. I've bodged it back together temporarily, I have another ready to go on when I find time.

I gave it a long overdue clean!

Then drove up to the lake district where I have bought a new house which has not only a garage but a decent length drive:

Then to bring my back down to reality with a bump I hit a brick whilst doing about 60mph on an a-road, it was in the middle of my lane and it was dark so unfortunately I couldn't do anything to avoid it. I got the car back to where I'm staying, but overnight it decided to have a wee all over my parent's drive...safe to say my dad wasn't too happy!

Got it recovered to a local garage where they were supposed to swap the sump this morning, annoyingly the sump they had ordered didn't have a hole for the oil return pipe. After a couple of hours of desperately trying to get hold of a new sump today/tomorrow the decision was made to use chemical metal as a temporary fix until Monday when it will be changed.

I decided to measure the ground clearance....I think it's time I raised it a bit!

Finally I fitted a newsouth boost gauge that I had from when I had my MK4, it isn't wired in yet because I ran out of time, hopefully will do that at the weekend.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:29 pm »
Cars looking spot on Dom.  Love red GTI's.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 05:58:37 pm »
Great example! What do you think to the coilies? They quite a harsh ride ?

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

Cheers  :happy2:

They ride really well, considering how low it is. I've got the damping set to about the middle so if I raise it up I could soften the damping and it would be a lot more comfortable.

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:21 pm »

Cheers  :happy2:

They ride really well, considering how low it is. I've got the damping set to about the middle so if I raise it up I could soften the damping and it would be a lot more comfortable.

How much were they mate?
You get any knocks or anything from the camber top mounts?
My works not far from ocd so might pop down

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 09:13:01 am »
They were £690 from OCD  :happy2:

The camber mounts can be a little bit clunky on poor road surfaces but they aren't too bad. I'll be over at OCD on Monday to swap my sump over (hopefully)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=baf7cu6roh6o1eshcvf4tpvoj5&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 10:48:59 am »
Thats running quite a lot of front toe in and not much camber. With those plates in I would aim for about -2º of front camber and about 0º05 toe in.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 10:59:37 am »
Thats running quite a lot of front toe in and not much camber. With those plates in I would aim for about -2º of front camber and about 0º05 toe in.

Why is that Rich?