Make a donation

Author Topic: Dreaded low oil pressure!!  (Read 2071 times)

Barry1602

Dreaded low oil pressure!!
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »
Hi all,

Now I must start with an apology as I know the answers I need are already here somewhere in this forum, but tbh there are so many posts about this it's hard to find the useful ones!

So I have a 2005 GTI (AXX engine code) which I was driving home a couple of weeks ago when the dreaded low oil pressure warning came on. I stopped the car straight away and checked the oil level etc. Waited a short while and started the car and the light was gone. Got car recovered anyway.

I dropped the sump and replaced the slightly clogged pickup pipe, cleaned the sump replaced the oil and filter and went for a test drive. All was good for a while and then a couple of days later it came on again. I dropped the sump again and found the pipe was clogged so did as before. Again it was fine for a couple of days and then 'Bing' on it comes again!

This time the pickup is spotless so I look a little further, I removed the chain and cog from the oil pump and inspected the pump and all looked OK.

At this point I started looking around and found all kinds of horror stories :-(

My question is really what I should check out next? Can anybody tell me what the issue is with the balance shafts?

Any advice is good as I am currently thinking the cars probably dead!

I know it's all been asked before but I would really appreciate any pointers.

Tia
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:37:39 pm by Barry1602 »

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Dreaded low oil pressure!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:50 am »
How did you inspect the Oil Pump? Did you remove it completely? I've had this before where it looked OK but upon taking the Oil Pump off. It was actually seized. The pump would not spin freely at all.

New oil pump, New chain kit and its sport on.

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Dreaded low oil pressure!!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:16 pm »
I would get it checked at a garage or with a known good gauge. I've read of sender units going bad. Of course, it could be that your oil pump is dead but you wont know that until you get the pressure checked properly