Make a donation

Author Topic: Garth's GTI build thread  (Read 59471 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: Garth's GTI build thread
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 10:59:42 am »
Good heads up on the ebay shop Garth. Your cars almost identical to mine btw  :innocent: :laugh:

Have you mentioned/threatened action will be taken if and when etc...?
I hope they pull their finger out and the wheels appear ASAP :happy2:
I got a full refund after 2 weeks of lies, never saw the wheels! I eventually ordered the same wheels from Wheelbase and drove down on Monday morning to get them  :grin: They on the car now, just waiting for the photos to upload as I type.

Hi Garth

You must be a Yorkshire lad.

Don't believe it, looked at that same car myself.  Wife didn't like the colour or it could have been on my drive now....
You must be a lot better than me at haggling cos there wasn't much movement on price when I turned up, but they had only got the car in.

Love the subtle mods you have done so far.  Think I may give the MK4 badge a go too.  IMO the red lip stick looks good on a black car as well as a red.

Looking forwards to more updates.

Keep up the good work

Lee
Yep, live in Leeds mate. Did you think the car was a bit of a state when you looked at it too? I think they must have had it in a while which is why I got so much off it. I have spent about £500 just getting it back to a nice condition before I started modding it. Think youreself lucky you didn't buy it as it is a bit of a money pit! There's plenty of electrical gremlins in it with things like the rear wiper, folding mirrors and lumbar support all decding to stop working intermittently.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 11:37:13 am »
Here's a quick couple of photos of the latest mods... I know the car needs washing badly, I will do it this weeked, I promise!  :grin:

New tax disc holder

Wheels:

Lowering may be a problem now as there's not much clearance:

They rub on the screw in the front arch over vaery big bumps, so I need to sort that out.

You can tell they're cheap by the number of weights on the damn things  :congrats:

Better photos will follow when it's clean!

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 12:06:56 pm »
Looks miles better on those wheels matey  :happy2: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 12:23:40 pm »
nice motor, me and my pals have purchased a few motors from redline in the past on the whole they are decent guys.

Where in Leeds you from?
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 09:13:21 pm »
Yep, live in Leeds mate. Did you think the car was a bit of a state when you looked at it too? I think they must have had it in a while which is why I got so much off it. I have spent about £500 just getting it back to a nice condition before I started modding it. Think youreself lucky you didn't buy it as it is a bit of a money pit! There's plenty of electrical gremlins in it with things like the rear wiper, folding mirrors and lumbar support all decding to stop working intermittently.

Yep live in Calverley just between Leeds and Bradford.

Think the car had just come in when I looked at it.  The main problem was the wife not liking the colour and having a "bad feeling" about it.

Sometimes if a car has been on the forecourt for a while it tells its own tales.

Car Star in Stanningley still has a red 3 door for sale, come down from 14K to 10k in 4 months.  Glad I gave that one a miss too, on the test drive it rattled and banged like.  Probably been in a bump and not recorded.

What did you do to the original wheels.  Still on the lookout for genuine ones at the right price if you are selling.

Keep up the mods.  I will look out for you
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:26 am »
What did you do to the original wheels.  Still on the lookout for genuine ones at the right price if you are selling.

Keep up the mods.  I will look out for you

They're in my garage... for sale if you're interested? See here:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8823.0
Cheers mate

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:59 am »
D'oh
Never put 2 + 2 together. 
I did want 18" - but tempted if only to get a quite ride.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline MR02LOW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Ironkilla Gym Apparel
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9122.0.html
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:05 pm »
nice that mate, loving the grey stripe to  :wink: looks much better than the red

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »
Looks well.

Dont suppose you've come across any photos of the RS6's/S-Lines painted gunmetal in your travels?

I have a set of S-Lines from an A3 I was considering painting and putting them on the GTi.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 01:38:57 pm »
Looks well.

Dont suppose you've come across any photos of the RS6's/S-Lines painted gunmetal in your travels?

I have a set of S-Lines from an A3 I was considering painting and putting them on the GTi.
Thanks mate.

Yes, I have seen these in grey on white and red mk5's and they look very good, but I wouldn't do it on a grey car.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 01:44:33 pm »
New updates:

I didn't like the black badge on the front, so I sprayed it grey to match the paintwork and I'm much happier with it now  :smiley:

I also have got to work with my soldering iron to replace all the orange led's in the instruments which look really naff in my opinion. I have so far replaced all of the orange led's with red in the buttons and have only the fan speed indicator to finish. I'm going to do this blue to match the dials, but need the perfect blue led's to match everything. I now need a standard stereo to rip apart for the led's  :grin: My fiance's mk4 stereo was butchered for the red ones but the correct size I need are the ones that illuminate the screen in the mk5 stereos. Progress so far:

:P

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 01:48:38 pm »
Crikey that's alot of weights  :confused:

looking good on the car though, I like the colour change on the interior lights, I've been tempted with going white  :happy2:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 03:10:21 pm »
Crikey that's alot of weights  :confused:

looking good on the car though, I like the colour change on the interior lights, I've been tempted with going white  :happy2:
That's what I thought  :confused:
It doesn't bother me though as the tyres are not staying on for long. I'll be getting a new set of F1's or Pilot Sport's in the new year. I'm presuming it's the tyres that need all the weights and not the wheels themselves, but either way as long as they're balanced I'm happy  :wink:

I was thinking of white too for the led's but I want everything in the car to match perfectly, hence the red.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:44 pm »
it will be the tyres thing they are called sunnys that are causing all the weights to get it balanced right

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:31 pm »
it will be the tyres thing they are called sunnys that are causing all the weights to get it balanced right
Yep, Sunew's best tyres  :grin: Quality at it's best! They were only ever meant to be a temporary solution
 :drinking: