Make a donation

Author Topic: Garth's GTI build thread  (Read 59464 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: Garth's GTI build thread
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:11 pm »
moreeeeee picssssss  :party: :party: :party:
I could do, but it's even dirtier than that now  :ashamed:
There always seems to be other things to do when I should be washing it! I'm going to try to clean it this week and take some more photos. I have been trial fitting the R32 replica bumper I bought and the fit was terrible, so it's going back  :sad1:

Here are a couple of 'highlights' of the fit  :confused:

Back to the drawing board!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
The bumper has now gone back and the standard one is back on.

This car is now FOR SALE!
I will give her a good clean, polish and wax this weekend then I can get some photos up of it looking at it's best.

The sale is due to the need for an auto... I nearly sold it before for the same reason, then changed my mind and decided to keep it, but my knee simply won't hold out much longer  :sad1:

I've seen a car I like, so I'll accept £7800 for a quick sale if anyone is interested.
 :drinking:

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »
Garth, did you get my pm last week about the white dials? I apologise if you were put off by the list of questions!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2010, 08:00:17 am »
Garth, did you get my pm last week about the white dials? I apologise if you were put off by the list of questions!
Aahh, sorry totally forgot about it. I'll reply now  :happy2:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
I thought since the car is now gone and therefore nothing else can change on it, that I'd finish this thread off with some photos of how the car was when it sold:

and here she is with the replacement at the back:

I miss the golf but not the gear changing. I would love to have finished the car off properly with R32 brakes, colour coded and fully sound proofed, but I don't think any project car is really 'finished'. There's always something else to do!

I did promise my wife that I wouldn't modify the BMW, but true to form, I started within a week of buying it  :grin:

Offline markos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:47 pm »
I then set about sorting out the rear badge by removing the corroded part:

sanding down the handle and filling the small hole:

I then bought a mk4 rear badge (as you can't buy one to fit the original mk5 handle  :confused: ). I split this down to it's parts:

I removed the complete handle assembly and sprayed it steel grey to match the car

and then fixed the chrome part of the mk4 badge to it

which then left me with this (this was before the dent was removed!):

More to follow.....

[/quote]

hey garth, not sure if you'll remember or if you're even on here anymore as this thread was from ages ago but can you (or anyone else) remember how you attached the mk4 badge to the boot catch mechanism. i'm doing exactly the same as you did, bought myself a mk4 badge and stripped it down to the 3 parts. just wondered what you used to stick it on? glue, fixing pads, silicon?

Offline Beav

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2022, 12:58:01 pm »
Looking clean.

What head unit are you using and have you had any issues with battery drain?

I keep finding ones with android auto then find out people are swapping wires etc to prevent battery drain

Offline ksamyui

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2022, 08:09:48 pm »
Right then, since I've had the car just over a month, I thought I'd start my own build thread.
Don't be expecting massive changes as I'm all about subtle modding and try to keep things looking OEM.

I bought the car as a bog standard 2005 GTI in pretty shabby condition after haggling quite a bit off the asking price and this is what it looked like:

It was complete with dent in the boot, and damaged rear badge with plenty of corrosion, dents in the doors, scratched rear quarter light, ripped leather and corroded wheel centre caps.

The first thing I did was buy it some new mats and a Parrot bluetooth handsfree kit with a steering wheel interface. Here is that lot going in  :grin:

Then the next job was to replace the quarter light and get dent wizard to knock out all the dents. I bought a full set of centre caps for the wheels from VW and repaired the torn leather seat.

I then set about sorting out the rear badge by removing the corroded part:

sanding down the handle and filling the small hole:

I then bought a mk4 rear badge (as you can't buy one to fit the original mk5 handle  :confused: ). I split this down to it's parts:

I removed the complete handle assembly and sprayed it steel grey to match the car

and then fixed the chrome part of the mk4 badge to it

which then left me with this (this was before the dent was removed!):

More to follow.....

Holy thread revival Batman!!! What did you use to stick the badge on?