Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti  (Read 107022 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Mk7 steering wheel into mk5 gti
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:45 am »
Well. My 2nd set of brand new switches from TPS have been modified and they also only light up on one side. Frustrating.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 11:28:59 am »
This is really weird,  I have replied to your message hopefully something can be done
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Snake

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2016, 11:08:15 pm »
so this is button illumination working on the Polo Scirocco 1K8 wheel with 1K8 switches (no cruise)

over the last 48 ish hours i ordered a set of buttons for my wheel which i thought would fit, but as i didn't fully check the PR numbers in ETKA i ended up with a smaller set of buttons for my wheel, not good. returned them to TPS and as i was ordering yet another set that were now more expensive they exchanged them.

last night i was at work and had 12 hours to kill and my original set of buttons with me, i started tracing out the illumination circuit on the switches and decided just to give it a go of powering it up directly with 12v.

I won't go on anymore other to say that i tried feeding the 12v to the illumination pin of the DSG paddle but bizarrely only lit up one set of switches even though i tried both sides of DSG paddle.

I found a point i could solder a wire too i tried this with 12v on it and all buttons came on.

so now i'm stuck with a set of switches on back order from TPS at a cost of 218 quid just to see if i could illuminate them.

thankfully TPS refunded (which i didn't think they did) the lot so today i'm happy.

The Issue for me is i DON'T WANT 5 or 7 extra buttons (adaptive/standard cruise control)  on my wheel just to get them to work with the CH module using the LIN Bus 2 settings, i'd rather have the standard buttons and either live with them not lighting or do my mod which you'll see some pics of soon.

we are really lucky in the MK5 that the power for the switches is ignition fed (terminal 15) so 12v is applied only when ignition is on, we can use this to power the led circuit inside the switches for it to work.

oh and one other thing if you want the extra buttons with cruise so it works out the box then as Eddie already said 6C0 959 442 C will get you buttons with standard cruise 6C0 959 442 D with adaptive cruise these cruise buttons will not work in your MK5 but will light up from the CH module,  all the other standard buttons will work as long as you have the CH control module.

if you have buttons 1K8 959 442 (these light up red NOT white as i previously thought) then follow this to get them to light up

remove the switches from there holders T8 torx, remove the back cover of the switch that the black plug goes in 5 pointed safety torx (jam the T8 in there)

now look for this terminal

this is common POSITIVE they put the resistors in the negative (cathode) side of the LED this  common positive powers all leds on both switches.

Annoyingly i could only find somewhere on the front of the switch so be very careful when putting back together incase you rip the copper track off the board as you'll be bending the wire back round the circuit board.

so put the circuit board back together and route the tiny wire to here

solder to terminal 2 the +12v, now when you turn the key all the buttons will light up including in the day time.

test before putting it all back together

any questions feel free to ask
I try to do that and only one side is working, could you tell me what to do?

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:01 am »
I have the same issue.

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2016, 06:35:11 am »
Hi
Fitted R20 steering wheel into my MK6 (with the same 1K0.. CH steering module as MK5) and all buttons work but they wont illuminate. Yet.

To get your buttons illuminate on MK5 you will need to swap the steering module from newer model 2010up. To make it easier I made myself wiring adapter so I can always remove it and put original module back.

I test fitted it in my car and on ady-uk 2005 MK5. All works as it should, buttons, illumination etc.
Also tested 3 or 4 MK7 and Rocco wheels with cruise buttons and non of them works with 1K0 or 5K0 modules. Only the one without cruise buttons works.

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex! Nice work though! I am running in the same problems like you except I have an early MK 6 build..

Would you like to help me identifying why ilumination does not work? I checked the wiring plans of the new and old MFSW... Inside they're working similar (except the horn) but there's one wire which doesn't make sense... It's the one that goes in pin 8 into the slip ring.
Would you like to check if theres any current on the pin with your configuration? I will try to pin this one out and see if the mk vi mfsw still works.. Same with the new scirrocco SW.. My only difference is the swcm (i got the 1k0 953 549 CD)...

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 08:22:14 pm »
Ad far as I know non of the 1K0 steering modules wont illuminate mk7/Scirocco steering wheel. Thats why I've swapped that for 5K0 SWCM.
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »
Did you ever measure the currents of the single wires?
My theory is  that pin 8 (from slip ring) is for illumination for the new steering wheels and that the older swcm do not give any signal on that pin.

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2016, 07:23:45 pm »
Would you share the pinout of the wiring, the part n/o of the plugs and the p/n of the 5k0 swcm that you're using right now?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
Pleeeeeeease! :notworthy:
I would spend a beer for the info for sure!

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »
@Alex:
Would you like to share how you created the adapter?

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:10 pm »
Did you ever measure the currents of the single wires?
My theory is  that pin 8 (from slip ring) is for illumination for the new steering wheels and that the older swcm do not give any signal on that pin.

sorry to tell you there is no extra pin for illumination, this is controlled within the buttons themselves via the lin bus comms cable (purple) which does all the button comms plus illumination comms, cruise uses a separate cable for setting which is grey.

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:54 am »
That's too sad...
That would mean that I need to swap the SWCM to the new 5K0... -Version.
I just need to know how to build the adapter :-(

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:17 am »
That's too sad...
That would mean that I need to swap the SWCM to the new 5K0... -Version.
I just need to know how to build the adapter :-(

just out of interest where are you based roughly, if your near me i'd quite happily look at illuminating your wheel like i did with a cable free of charge just to sort it out?

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2016, 06:29:27 am »
I am located in Hamburg :-)

I register because in this forum as the efforts in doing tweaks and mods are way higher than in german forums, honestly speaking...

The german attitude is always like "will not work" or "don't try this you will fail"...

Offline Simsonstar1974

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »
So does anybody likes to share how to illuminate the buttons w/o soldering wires inside the steering wheel?