Make a donation

Author Topic: Tornado 05 GTI Red Rocket  (Read 6207 times)

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Tornado 05 GTI
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 10:07:17 pm »
I just get bored too quickly, once I've washed it and dried it, I barely have the enthusiasm to get the polish out!

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Tornado 05 GTI Red Rocket
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:11 pm »
Long time since the last update.
Since I got the car I had been debating whether to put the Pioneer double din head unit in.
I decided to go ahead as was fed up of burning CD's.
I ran a switched live from one of the spare fuses, which works a treat and I routed the ipod lead from the back of the HU to the drivers side glovebox (iPod lives in there and doesn't get touched until it gets taken out for updates).

Fits in nicely and have got the colours to match up quite well.

More updates soon, headlight restoration and new wiper stalk as mine has just failed!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:37:04 pm by -Elliot- »

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: 06 plate golf gti ko3
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 08:10:40 am »
You're a very hands on dude doing all that servicing yourself  :congrats: , any power upgrades coming?

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 09:23:51 am »
Im a race mechanic so I have always done the work myself  :smiley:
Nothing major on the power side I dont think, maybe an exhaust as the standard one is giving up anyway and probably a remap as that gave good gains for the money on my old car.

If anyone has that head unit, you will have noticed that I have relocated the USB port to the rear so that no wires are visible in the cockpit. If anyone is interested in the mod then I could throw a guide together.

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 10:21:20 am »
I'm thinking of swapping my Kenwood for an Alpine, what are they like in terms of ease of use and sound quality? I remember when I was 18 if you didn't have an Alpine or Pioneer head unit you weren't cool.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »
I'm thinking of swapping my Kenwood for an Alpine, what are they like in terms of ease of use and sound quality? I remember when I was 18 if you didn't have an Alpine or Pioneer head unit you weren't cool.

I have corrected my post now, mine is a Pioneer not an Alpine as I had put! My old one was an Alpine!.... Yeah, for sound quality it is very good, I'm only on stock speakers and it's a hell of a lot better than the VW stereo, but on the other hand, I guess anything is better than stock.
I wouldn't say its particularly user friendly for the average person who just wants to plug and go, the usual bass and treble options are replaced with an equalizer that needs setting up.
I'd say that its perfect for someone who is planning a major install as it has lots of options and about 6 pre-outs on the back!

Fitted my new wiper stalk today with help from some guides on here, a lot of bits have to come off just to get to it!

Some other little updates....
Headlight were in need of a refurb, had all gone yellow with tonnes of surface cracks. So removed the light units and wet and dryed from 800 grit down to 2500, then cutting polished and waxed.
Before...

After...

Rear badge was corroded and gone all nasty, so removed it, sanded it and painted it black. These inserts then turned up, which match the interior. Not to everyone's taste I know, but I think it's better than the corroded badge!!

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 03:44:49 pm »
Some pics after a wash.