Make a donation

Author Topic: 1.6 tdi issues... any advice welcome :)  (Read 1648 times)

Offline #ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
1.6 tdi issues... any advice welcome :)
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:49:28 pm »
Hi Guys, a little off topic but looking for some advice, my friend has a polo 11 plate 1.6tdi and recently it lost power on the motorway ( 5 weeks after being purchased from the dealer) so he slowed down and came off the motorway and its been fine since BUT it has developed an intermittent misfire on idle… indy dealer it was purchased from couldn’t replicate the misfire, but the AA who he called out could replicate it and wrote a report stating so. Anyway we have the finance company coming tomorrow to give an independent review as obviously the dealer is not really wanting to help as they say it was outside of their 30 day warranty – 5 days out might I add ..grrrr.

Anyway, can anyone suggest anything I could check to find the culprit. No ECU light on, no faults stored, DPF has been checked and is all OK….

A bit stuck at the moment so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re:
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:20 pm »
Can you replicate the issue using the Aa report?
How was the issue replicated? This will help pinpoint the cause.
Also, any lights on dash? Fault codes etc?
Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline #ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: 1.6 tdi issues... any advice welcome :)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:22 pm »
No light on the dash, but to replicate yiy just drive the car until warm and then pull up and observe the idle which shows the misfire, the whole car shakes.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:33 am »
The law is on your side here. Used cars come effectively with a 12 month warranty by law. In the first 6 months, the onus is on the dealer to prove that any issue was not present at the time of sale. If they can't do that then they have to fix it. If the AA has written a report saying they have found a problem but the dealer can't find it, then to me that says the dealer would not have found the problem in any pre-sale checks either so it's entirely possible the fault was there at the time of sale.

Stick with it. You should get your repair free but I don't suspect the dealer will play ball all too easily.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline #ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 05:43:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I'll be speaking to the finance company Monday so will update this thread when I know more.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:13:25 pm »
If it's on finance then effectively it's their car and you should be pressing them to get it repaired.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Monkey10

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:10:08 pm »
Hi, injectors are causing a few issues at the moment on all variants of the 1.6 common rail engine. Mainly misfires/lumpy running and also noisy/pinking underload. Don't usually log any faults, can be checked using mvb's on vag com etc to see if out of tolerance. Also egr systems for excessive carbon build up have caused lumpy running on idle, the best way to check this is to remove the egr pipe at the front of the engine and check for a large carbon build up (if there's a large carbon build up a complete egr system is recommended and a engine software update)  thanks