Make a donation

Author Topic: Gearbox oil change  (Read 21154 times)

dansmith180

Gearbox oil change
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:36 am »
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody who's done it before could tell me, do I need to replace any nuts/plugs/seals or filters or is it just a case of bleed and refill? 2005 manual GTI. Cheers  :happy2:

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Gearbox oil change
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:19:12 am »
Nothing at all to replace, just make sure you can remove the filler plug before draining the oil. :grin:
Car has to be level to get the correct amount of oil in the box, and make sure you don't overtighten the plugs when refitting to avoid cracking the gearbox casing  :happy2:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:28 am »
Nothing at all to replace, just make sure you can remove the filler plug before draining the oil. :grin:
Car has to be level to get the correct amount of oil in the box, and make sure you don't overtighten the plugs when refitting to avoid cracking the gearbox casing  :happy2:
Cheers  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:53:26 am »
I was always led to believe that there's no reason to change gearbox oil unless you really need to? Or is it advisable to change it every X miles?

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
Supposedly VW say it never needs doing but a few people suggest like the DSG's a gearbox oil change every 40k can prolong the life of your gearbox, especially if you're running more power and like to drive it. So since mines done 97k now I think upgrading to millers gearbox oil would be good for it, and today I heard what sounded like a grinding noise at 1400rpm so an oil change might stop that hopefully.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 12:26:58 pm »
In your case, grinding noise is worth the effort of a change, but I'll probably leave mine alone until I too get a noise. Then again, VW don't officially list the fuel filter as a serviceable part these days...

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »
I personally don't believe that any oil will last the lifetime of the car. Worth doing at least once in my opinion, will probably not need doing again during your ownership, depending how long you plan to keep the car.

Very easy to change too, more so than the engine oil as there is no filter to change  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:00:37 pm by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

dansmith180

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
In your case, grinding noise is worth the effort of a change, but I'll probably leave mine alone until I too get a noise. Then again, VW don't officially list the fuel filter as a serviceable part these days...
I wanted to get it done anyway but like you said the noise decided it for me. Can't believe the fuel filter isn't a servicable part? Makes you wonder sometimes.

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:57 pm »
I personally don't believe that any oil will last the lifetime of the car. Worth doing at least once in my opinion, will probably not need doing again during your ownership, depending how long you plan to keep the car.

Very easy to change too, more so than the enine oil as there is no filter to change  :happy2:
Yeh for the time it takes its definitely worth it, with 97k that gearbox oil must have seen so many thousands of gear changes and heat cycles it's hard to believe its anywhere near as good as when new. Also with the way I drive it I like to keep everything tip top.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:01:29 pm by dansmith180 »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »
I've been thinking about this and now I'm paranoid about mine. May invest in some new gear box oil after Christmas (car's going no-where pretty much till then!).

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 09:11:36 am »
Is there a how to?
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline Alzak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:54:53 am »
Is there a how to?
There should be two bolts on manual gearbox on on bottom part and second bolt on the side of the gearbox.

Unscrew side one and follow by unscrewing the bottom one so old oil can drip out.

Refit bottom bolt and fill gearbox with new oil using side hole.

Job done.

dansmith180

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:12:08 am »
I've been thinking about this and now I'm paranoid about mine. May invest in some new gear box oil after Christmas (car's going no-where pretty much till then!).
I think considering how easy it is its worth the peace of mind for £50 of oil.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:39 am »
Post a picture of your old oil so we can see how discoloured it is please. :drinking:

Offline alexharvey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:44:22 pm »
i changed mine a while ago to millers nano drive gear box oiL ,i can tell its better and much better smoother gear changes my car had done 85,000 at that time