Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake line brackets after s3 brake upgrade  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 0
Brake line brackets after s3 brake upgrade
« on: June 11, 2023, 03:16:35 pm »
Hi guys,

I just finished upgrading the brakes to s3/r32 calipers, but im left with one issue.

The new brake lines dont fit into the old brackets, and dont seem to ft into the brackets supplied on the back of the caliper either.

Can anyone who has done this upgrade offer me any advice?

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Re: Brake line brackets after s3 brake upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 07:41:38 pm »
I recently installed R32 calipers, I bought HEL braided lines as a kit for the R32. For the fronts they attach to the caliper directly with a banjo bolt so you have to remove the hard-line and bracket off the rear of the caliper, eliminating that bracket as a problem. And they fit perfectly at the other end and the rears were a perfect fit too, they go on to the hard-line of the rears.

Does mean you'd have to bleed them again, when tightening the banjo bolt make sure the lines won't touch anything on full lock and be careful not to strip the thread of the hard-line on the fronts, I did and had to get another caliper *facepalm*

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 08:32:21 am »
I recently installed R32 calipers, I bought HEL braided lines as a kit for the R32. For the fronts they attach to the caliper directly with a banjo bolt so you have to remove the hard-line and bracket off the rear of the caliper, eliminating that bracket as a problem. And they fit perfectly at the other end and the rears were a perfect fit too, they go on to the hard-line of the rears.

Does mean you'd have to bleed them again, when tightening the banjo bolt make sure the lines won't touch anything on full lock and be careful not to strip the thread of the hard-line on the fronts, I did and had to get another caliper *facepalm*

Thanks for the reply,

I bought new oem r32 brake lines, and they fitted as you say with the banjo bolt at the front and onto the hard-line on the car side.

The issue I'm having is making sure the lines are loose or rubbing on anything. The oem lines have the fitting that goes onto the backed that's attached to the uprights, but obviously the r32 lines don't reach there. What's more they don't seem to fit into the bracket that's on the caliper itself, so I'm a bit confused.

I've ziptie them to the existing bracket for now, but I can see them rubbing through over time, so want to find a good way to secure them properly.

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 09:29:56 am »
Did you fit R32 lines or replacement GTI ones? The stock GTIs lines work just fine, I switched out my fronts for Golf MK7 PP discs and calipers and retained all factory lines.

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 04:57:20 pm »
Did you fit R32 lines or replacement GTI ones? The stock GTIs lines work just fine, I switched out my fronts for Golf MK7 PP discs and calipers and retained all factory lines.

I fitted r32 lines, as I wanted to replace the old ones anyway and Etka specified ones with a banjo bolt on the caliper side.

Maybe I should have tried the gti lines first to see if they would have worked..

So frustrating all the variations and combinations of VAG products.

I wonder why the r32 calipers have different type lines specified if the gti ones work.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 01:45:00 pm »
MK5 R32 brake lines are longer.

GTI ones will fit but a little too short as on attempting full lock you risk tearing/breaking the pipe work......rear GTI pipework does not need to be replaced for the rears

It is worth replacing with fresh rubber lines or upgrading if the calipers are coming off, as they become hard and brittle with age and found my rear lines had started to close up restricting the fluid flow.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:47:26 pm by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI