Make a donation

Author Topic: Ed30 kangarooing/Surging in low rpms in all gears  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Aidan44

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Ed30 kangarooing/Surging in low rpms in all gears
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:12:37 pm »
Bit of background; owned the ed30 for just over a year, regularly serviced and had dsg serviced a few months ago by vw. The only modification I have done is a 3 inch decat down pipe. I have just had it remapped but not on a rolling road(couldn't afford 3x the price of this one). Since the remap the car has a really nice power ?curve? through all the gears. However on the way home it started misfiring in high revs, so I replaced the coil packs the following day and problem fixed. However now its kangarooing or surging when at low revs. For example when in first and driving slowly round a car park, or when cruising in 4th,5th,6th at just under 2k rpm. The issue is only present under 2k rpms and the car kangaroos from 1.5k-2k rpm. It's like it wants to get to 2k and just go. I've searched all over the internet and forums and couldn't come across anything similar. I've messaged the "tuner" and he said it could be injectors however hes going to take a look at the footage I sent him and get back to me. Just wondering if you guys had any insight into what may be causing this or if it's just a dodgy parameter done in the map. I'll add the video I got when I can figure out how to lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Ed30 kangarooing/Surging in low rpms in all gears
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:52:18 pm »
Sounds like a popped front PCV to me.  Try a revision R front PCV and the revised rear rocker pipe with check valve and go from there.   Remaps tend to tip some components over the edge.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Aidan44

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 03:54:30 pm »
I did initially think it was the pcv however I changed it about 5 months ago. I took the pcv off a few days ago and tried the blow test and could blow through it for about a second and then the valve would close. I've just changed the plugs and they were white indicating the cars running lean but I'm not sure why. It's got progressively worse when idling and splutters and sounds like it's going to stall. I have it booked in for a smoke test on thursday so I can hopefully find out what's wrong with it. This is a video of what it's like driving at 1500rpm
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:09:36 pm by Aidan44 »

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:29:28 am »
i'd be looking at the map if that was only very recently done and the symptoms started soon after.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:11:41 pm »
Plugs light in colour is pretty normal for these engines.  So long as there's no white crusties (oil burning) or signs of overheating (no colour at all), I wouldn't read too much into plug colour.  Similarly you don't want black sooty plugs either.  Yes they should ideally be a lovely tan colour, indicating a healthy burn, but modern engines don't run as rich as they probably should.  All 4 plugs being the same colour is another good sign.

What are the long term fuel trim numbers?

Yeah the video isn't good!  I think you need to do some logging with VCDS as a stammer that bad will definitely show up in the data logging. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:15:11 pm »
Can't see a video ?

Might be my browser Firefox?

Offline Aidan44

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:08:37 pm »
Ahh ok yeah they werent overly light in colour but they were all even so i guess thats good. I dont have a vcds cable yet but im planning to get one soon. The smoke test found a small leak from the dipstick and the top of the hpfp. They also found the maf sensor to be faulty. I have just installed a new oem maf sensor and fixed the hpfp top sensor, however the problem still persists. I think now the only thing it could possibly be is the map, so i have messaged the "tuner" to see if he can take the car and adjust the map. Ill be fitting a new cam follower tommorow too.

Thats the link to the youtube vid i did, its the best i can do at the moment.