Make a donation

Author Topic: How to install DAB in an early Mk5 - Tailgate aerial  (Read 25001 times)

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
How to install DAB in an early Mk5 - Tailgate aerial
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:44:01 pm »
Had a few queries about the DAB install on my build thread so though I'd expand it a bit so we've got a half decent 'how to'.  There's a lot of guys and girls on here with earlier mk5's with no roof mount aerial on.  If you've a retro fitted DAB head unit and don't want stick on aerials in your windscreen but scratching your head as to how to get the DAB to work without them look no further  :happy2:

See this link along with my rough overview in my build thread.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=263921.0 

All the parts cables and connectors are available online and if you've can find a cheap DAB amp then you can probably do it quite cheap (5K0 035 552 H), if you haven't go here as its everything you'll need apart from the DAB headunit

http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/DAB-/-DAB-Tuner/Retrofit-kit-DAB-/-DAB-antenna-module

1 - Remove tailgate trim, both main trim and window surround trim. For the main trim there are two recessed screws in the inner grab handles it should then just pull (be firm with it), there are 4 clips along top, 4 at the bottom and two at the sides.  Then just pull and remove inner rear window trim and then you should have access to everything

2 - Take out stereo from dash and leave perched safely but all connected up in the front of you car.

Stereo removal,  loads of threads about this, nothing to with me but a vid for those who can't be ar$ed to search

3 - Back to the rear of the car, the antenna to be removed is the one on the left hand side of the tailgate as you look from the rear of the car. See below

The original amp / antenna needs the retaining screw removing and the connector disconnecting on the window antenna end.  The cable will then have to be traced and removed that's hard wired in to the amp, trace it back and unplug and remove. You can see the standard amp and the DAB here, the retaining screw is on the other end for the new DAB one.

Take out the encapsulated nut in the bodywork and move to the other punched out square hole in the bodywork, this allows the new DAB antenna to be screwed back into the body securely and keep it all OEM. You can see the encapsulated nut below.  Where it moves to is behind my finger for the new DAB antenna

4 - Install DAB amp and connect tailgate aerial end secure in position with bodywork screw.

5 - Connect double Fakra connector to amp and lash up through car (don't worry about installing neatly at the moment)  plug in to the DAB port on your headunit.

On my RCD510 its the uppermost connector higher up on the rear of the stereo than the twin connector that FM etc is normally connected to.  see below

The double Fakra should have the cable in the side shown (pin 1), I tried the other pin (pin 2) and it didn't work.

run DAB and tune, hopefully you have a decent signal by you ?

Should all just work  :grin:.

6 - Disconnect stereo end and remove connector on this end, you will struggle to run the cable through the trim etc with the shell of the connector attached to the cable.

Pop out the purple segment.  The right angled connectors are exactly the same principle that come with the Kufatec kit.

Gently unclip the clip section pictured on top and slide out the cable

Cable is now ready to run.

7 - Run the connector-less free end of the cable from your new amp inside the tailgate neatly across to the right hand side (viewing from the rear) of the vehicle by cable tying / taping to existing looms, aim for the tailgate grommet see below.

8 - Your cable needs to go through this.  For those with absolutely no finesse with cables I would suggest slicing the grommet, not ideal I know and I couldn't face doing this, you could re-seal with tape if you wish to.  If you know what you're doing and can be patient and careful it will go through with some coaxing using something like Helerine lubricant to help her slip in  :love:   .  Best to attach a reasonable stiff draw wire to the cable and feed or pull through gently, be careful not to damage other cables within the grommet if doing this.

9 - Once done run through the trim in the roof liner, it just lifts by hand on the edge and you can pop the cable along the side of the liner.  You might need to pop a screw out the top of the side airbag trims to lift the interior trim in places.  The screws are behind the airbag plastic labelled airbag covers.  Run all the way across and down the A-pillar.  Go through the fuse box area and jump across to the rear of the stereo.

10 - Now put your casing for your Fakra connector back on and plug in your removed stereo.  Check again everything works.

11  - Tidy the wires up (tape / cable tie), you don't want a cable rattling around behind the dash

12 - Re-install the stereo and central dash section and boot trim and enjoy the delights of DAB.

:happy2:

Note: There is a remaining pin (pin 2) in the double Fakra and a connector where the original amp ran to.  I tested the reception etc with this removed and it all worked fine.  I did however, buy another 1m lead off ebay and connected this to where the original amp ran to.  It didn't change functionality but I was of the opinion that the OBD might spot this open circuit connector and flag a DAB fault up on the fault codes, I've yet to confirm this and look at my codes yet. 

*****Note:  Installation of 1m Fakra cable between pin 2 on DAB amp and original connector in boot eliminate any fault codes flagging up********

Just to re-iterate DAB, FM and AM will still function perfectly without this cable added in but you will get a code flag up.

Comments, queries and general abuse let me know.  Cheers  :drinking:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:18:48 am by bigmig95 »

Offline sgour

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
Re: How to install DAB in a early pre roof mount aerial Mk5
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:56:18 pm »
Great writeup. I must give this a go when I get some spare time

Offline pjuster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: How to install DAB in an early Mk5 - Tailgate aerial
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:56:55 am »
am I right in thinking this is an alternative to replacing the roof aerial with an FM/AM/DAB, instead leave that inplace and use for FM/AM and fit this for DAB services.

totally OEM I like thanks :)

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 12:03:46 pm »
am I right in thinking this is an alternative to replacing the roof aerial with an FM/AM/DAB, instead leave that inplace and use for FM/AM and fit this for DAB services.

totally OEM I like thanks :)

Early Mk5's had no roof aerial hence the antenna in the back window.  I doubt that the later roof aerial models had an aerial in the back window as well so I believe you couldn't do this same mod on later models. HTH  :happy2: 

Offline pjuster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »
ahh thanks, I might take a peek and see, as I have a roof mounted aerial, so I'm guessing the holes/captive nut might be missing.

So where to later golfs with DAB have their factor DAB fitted ? (a question for another thread possibly)

Offline DamoP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:00 am »
ahh thanks, I might take a peek and see, as I have a roof mounted aerial, so I'm guessing the holes/captive nut might be missing.

So where to later golfs with DAB have their factor DAB fitted ? (a question for another thread possibly)
have a look at my build thread, I've just fitted a DAB bee sting on mine. exactly the same fitting as the standard one
MDI Armrest & Glovebox kits
MDI looms , iPod, USB & lightening Iphone 5 leads
Armrests, cloth and leather
Retro fit Armrest 6 CD changer/Ipod dock kits

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:26 pm »
I wish this was about when I did mine 12 months ago, it was just guess work until I got it working.

Top bloke for doing the write up! :congrats: :happy2:
How hard can it be?

Tomvenning

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »
Great help in getting DAB working in an OEM manner. Also check http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=263921.0
Took me about 3hours in all :laugh:
But I would say it is worth the effort for OEM DAB.

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:21:46 am »
Just a bump and thanks to @bigmig95 for the helpful thread :happy2: installed mine last night  :jumpmove:

Offline ashtdi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:56 pm »
Brilliant guide

My Build Thread - Golf MK5 PD105 1.9 TDI GTB2260VK 260BHP | 420 FTLB
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html

Offline rolexmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 04:15:35 pm »
Found this post and now done it is one of the best mods i have done great improvement from the window aerial i had so far no drop outs (used to get loads stopped me from using DAB)
i have a 04 golf MK5 with no roof aerial and fitted a RNS315 with bluetooth nav and DAB
Used part number 5G9035577B from a MK7 so the Ebay add said and it works great.
As per the info i ran a new wire from the boot to the head unit for the DAB and added a link wire from the right hand side to where the old unit was connected
well worth the time

Offline drps1889

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 10:38:57 pm »
Hi, sorry to drag up a very old thread, but this is really the only one out there! I have followed all the steps and apart from breaking my bootlid plastics when trying to remove, i've done pretty well and basically got everything working

Just a quick one - how the hell do you remove the captive nut? Its got a one-way flange when inserted it doesnt pop back out and I just can't see how to remove.

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:13 am »
Glad this is still proving useful even now to a few of you out there.  Makes writing it worthwhile  :happy2:

As far as the captive nut is concerned I believe if you push in and lift the tag from underneath (the one on the right hand side in picture on page 1)  with a small terminal or jewelers screwdriver it should lift out.  Having the screw in there might give you a bit more purchase.  It has been 6 years though if this is completely wrong, remember it only clips in place so you just need to come in from one side to release the clip.  Good luck

Offline drps1889

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:35 pm »
Cheers, managed to get it all sorted now, as you said, a bit of forcing the clip and it bent enough to pull it out. Absolutely mate, thank you for the write up, its still the best one out there, and I wouldn't have tackled this on my own without it.

Offline El1M1N8OR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=948fgrnq027bl3l6hcmhsr5iqk&/topic,127700.msg1139562.html#msg1139562
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 09:45:49 pm »
I'm guessing this isn't for the bee sting aerial on the roof?

I would like to relpace my bee sting for a DAB shark fin if such a thing is possible?