Make a donation

Author Topic: BSH True Seal Intake  (Read 24343 times)

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Re: BSH True Seal Intake
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:21 am »

I had no problems getting replies from Dubtek when talking to Ben via email.  You can contact them on sales@hosesolutions.org.uk.

@ Robin - the BSH is different from the Nuespeed etc because the tray is actually sealed against the bonnet.

....No communication problems so far with Ben @ Dubtek from me either.

Theoretically I thought that all those I listed are supposed to seal against the bonnet. I doubt if it's a good seal against a carbon bonnet or one without a bonnet lining. And we all know what I feel about blocks of foam tacked on.

Although incredibly expensive, the GruppeM intake probably captures the most air and seals it the best from the engine bay.

I have not got time to post the pics now however I am pretty sure the VF does not deal properly as it acutally has holes in the shield for the VF logo, I'm not so sure about the EVOMS and the Neuspeed though.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:38 am »

Aren't the EVOMS, VF, Neuspeed, and BSH intakes all very similar to each other? Apart from perhaps differences in their MAF housing measurements.

They all have heat shielding around the open filter but I question how effective any of their shielding methods are when compared with a fully enclosed filter.

The heat shielding is in effect the same as a sealed airbox, what you lose in not having it 100% sealed off you gain from it not being right next to the engine... swings and roundabouts.

This of course only matters when standing still, ramming air into either will instantly cool them down, as plastic is a terrible heat conducter.

....Good point about heatsoak when standing still.

But, even if better heatshielded (some are questionable), an additional downside of having the filter off to one side in front of the battery is that you miss what is considered to be the better full frontal inlet position. GruppeM and Forge Twintake offerings capture the best of both worlds - GruppeM capturing more air but the Twintake having the greatest surface area of filter.

GruppeM (megabucks!) : -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:25 am »
I don't get the GruppeM - just looks like an expensive and fancy answer to a problem that didn't really need that much fixing.

So far as I see, all it does is move the standard filter out of the OEM airbox and put it into a larger version of a Carbonio? I'd wager you'd see equal if not better airflow figures from a £150 BSH one.

Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:29 am »
u do get to keep your engine cover with that one and the oem heatsheild

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 11:40:43 am »

I have not got time to post the pics now however I am pretty sure the VF does not deal properly as it acutally has holes in the shield for the VF logo, I'm not so sure about the EVOMS and the Neuspeed though.

....Indeed the VF does have a punched out logo. I noticed that too and it immediately struck me that it was a contradiction!

It is in front of the battery though. However, there is masses of open space in the 'shield' around the pipe!

I don't know, my engine bay only seems to get really hot around the turbo area, but I guess my bonnet extract vent helps.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:22 am »
So far as I see, all it does is move the standard filter out of the OEM airbox and put it into a larger version of a Carbonio? I'd wager you'd see equal if not better airflow figures from a £150 BSH one.

Results from the US show that it flows better than the EVOMs, Carbonio, Neuspeed...  So it will be interesting to see how it flows compared to the ITG.  Although my car is only stage 1 at the moment so I would not expect it to be able to achieve its potential yet.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:57 am »

....Indeed the VF does have a punched out logo. I noticed that too and it immediately struck me that it was a contradiction!

It is in front of the battery though. However, there is masses of open space in the 'shield' around the pipe!

I don't know, my engine bay only seems to get really hot around the turbo area, but I guess my bonnet extract vent helps.

Also noticed how big the hole for the intake tube is!  There is a lot of air going to pass through there as well.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 11:44:58 am »

I don't get the GruppeM - just looks like an expensive and fancy answer to a problem that didn't really need that much fixing.

....You don't have to use the oem engine cover/box - You can spend even more money and add pipework : -

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 11:45:52 am »
Note to self - read RR's post fully before replying  :ashamed:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51:33 am »
I have the ITG, cuprak1 the BSH. If I was to do it all again I would have just got the BSH. Nothing beats the BSH for VFM.

We can get some flow figures up to compare the two if someone with VAG COM meets up with us, if not I will try and get DanGB to assist.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 11:53:35 am »

Also noticed how big the hole for the intake tube is!  There is a lot of air going to pass through there as well.

....And that air flow is directly in line with the frontal inlet and the filter off to the side! Adding a rubber/flexi sleeve would easily solve that. Stick a strip of black plastic behind the punched VF logo too! But then you are only back to square one and the bonnet seal question.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:05 am »

Note to self - read RR's post fully before replying  :ashamed:

.... :laugh: You're excused - sometimes my posts get a bit wordy. Also, posting activity suddenly got frenzied for a moment there.

:drinking:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:38 am »

....You don't have to use the oem engine cover/box - You can spend even more money and add pipework : -

Now, you see that makes more "sense" to me - well, aside from the £687 it would cost for the airbox alone and then adding the pipework (which I assume is another vendors?).

Why not make it in plastic?
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:41 am »

Now, you see that makes more "sense" to me - well, aside from the £687 it would cost for the airbox alone and then adding the pipework (which I assume is another vendors?).

Why not make it in plastic?

....Because if you made it in plastic it wouldn't satisfy posers cool dudes like me who love fancy and expensive things.

Yes, the pipework is Neuspeed's.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »
is there no way to get a uk firm to make one like that and lots cheaper

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box