Make a donation

Author Topic: Griffin - my baby GT-R! (GTI Mk5) [SOLD!]  (Read 40561 times)

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
Re: Griffin - my baby GT-R! (GTI Mk5)
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2016, 05:41:35 pm »
great updates Sam and excellent mods

Thank you mate ^_^ Looking forward to many more.

Looks like you've done a nice job there mate. Love the wheels. Did the ARBs make a big difference to the handling? See you've bushed all the suspension. How does it ride? Great write up.

Cheers buddy :-) The wheels are definitely nice. Light weight, most BBK compatible and great value for money. Cheaper than most run of the mill BBS sets. ARBs have certainly tightened up the cornering and you can turn in a lot harder with more confidence and still stay flat-ish. Highly recommended. Yes, I've poly bushed most of suspension too and together with lowering springs, it's perfect for my driving taste at the moment. It's not harsh and I've still managed to retain some comfort for general city driving. I might look into coilies if I plan on tracking her in the future but no plans at the moment  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:19 pm »
Great car, great write up. Threads like this are a brilliant resource.

I need to get back down to R-Tech to get my full Powervalve mapped in, I'm still on Stage 1. All my budget went on a Helix Organic clutch recently so I've had to put it off! Huge gains just from the map tweak, it'll definitely be a worthwhile trip down for me by the looks of it.

I'm also looking at a k03 hybrid in the future so I'll keep tabs on what you decide to do. It's just that fear of pushing the axx/bwa internals too far isn't it.

Mega spec this. Great work Sam.

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2016, 06:09:10 pm »

I need to get back down to R-Tech to get my full Powervalve mapped in, I'm still on Stage 1. All my budget went on a Helix Organic clutch recently so I've had to put it off! Huge gains just from the map tweak, it'll definitely be a worthwhile trip down for me by the looks of it.

I'm also looking at a k03 hybrid in the future so I'll keep tabs on what you decide to do. It's just that fear of pushing the axx/bwa internals too far isn't it.

Thank you for the kinds words buddy.
Visit to R-Tech will definitely be the best trip of your life  :laugh: But as always, whatever effort you make now to ensure your car is healthy, will result in better/reliable figures towards the end.

I am also quite vary of pushing the stock AXX/BWA lump to its limits. Hence my time to research and take all precautions before going down the Hybrid route. It'll happen this year. At the moment I'm curious to see the potential of the TTE 350+. It might be that it makes similar figures as the BBT (or better) but requires more hardware to compliment that, such as S3 injectors etc. Let's see...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2016, 06:17:37 pm »

Thank you for the kinds words buddy.
Visit to R-Tech will definitely be the best trip of your life  But as always, whatever effort you make now to ensure your car is healthy, will result in better/reliable figures towards the end.

I am also quite vary of pushing the stock AXX/BWA lump to its limits. Hence my time to research and take all precautions before going down the Hybrid route. It'll happen this year. At the moment I'm curious to see the potential of the TTE 350+. It might be that it makes similar figures as the BBT (or better) but requires more hardware to compliment that, such as S3 injectors etc. Let's see...
If it's even half as good as going from stock to Stage 1 R-Tech I'll be a happy man. It was actually the Powervalve that tipped the original clutch over the edge - I was already booked in for the map tweak but obviously had to cancel as it'd be pointless on a dying clutch!

Now the uprated clutch is sorted, and good for up to 400lb/ft, and it's got a major service booked in at the end of the month, so it should be healthy and ready for another dose of Gower Power.

It's only really the brakes that are letting it down as things stand, it's on H&R springs like yours, and MPSS all round.

BBK is the next big job, then HPFP etc.

Keep us all updated regarding the hybrid. It's one thing I've been reading up on as much as I can, so I'll be very interested to hear how you get on!

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2016, 03:07:22 pm »
Quick update that I talked about earlier  :smiley:

Got a Mk6 Climatronic Panel fitted over the weekend - one of the most desirable mods on my list. I bought the full Mk6 AQS kit/loom to get the auto-recirc function to work and eliminate any errors on Vagcom - but - Eddie-NL advised its' not going to work as well - unless we rip apart the entire dash and change few other bits. I was not prepared to go through all that hassle at this stage so we dumped the AQS installation and went ahead with a fully functional panel only.

Out with the old

Everything in pieces

In with the new  :laugh:

Also had a smoked/cherry hazard switch installed.

Before

After

Drove up to Birmingham on the weekend and managed to extract 34MPG on the cruise!  :grin:

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more updates..  :happy2:

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2016, 11:29:56 am »
I would have updated my thread with everything I've done since the last update (Decat DP, BCS WRC Mid Pipe etc) + all the awesome meets I've been to including Peak District - but sadly she's now for sale  :sad1:  Head over to the FS Cars section for details..

Offline lewisako

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • Stay Humble
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93348.msg935576.html#msg935576
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »
Shame to see you selling, but GLWS. Loved this motor! Whats next??

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2016, 03:20:13 pm »
Shame to see you selling, but GLWS. Loved this motor! Whats next??

Thanks mate - next I think is a 7R  :evilgrin: