Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 Tornado Red, 3dr DSG, Recaro seats  (Read 1305 times)

Offline GTIsss

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 Tornado Red, 3dr DSG, Recaro seats
« on: April 25, 2023, 09:53:05 pm »
Guys, I have decided to put my late fathers golf back on the road.  He bought it new in 2007 and passed away a year later.  My mum drove the car for a number of years on and off.  Its sat in my warehouse now when not used over the winter. 

Some rust on the front arches and some lacquer peel on the bonnet and wing mirrors.  I had the wheels refurbished a couple of years ago and new dunlop tyres fitted. 

My plan is to use it and keep the wheels moving 3-4 k miles a year realistically.  I was going to leave it and get around to using it again in the future but have decided to sell my E92 M3 (ST XTA coilovers) and not buy a Megane RS300 Trophy and turn this into something that handles very well, stops well and goes well.  Sort some body work, apple carplay etc.  Modernise the modern classic.

Suspension, I will fit some good coilovers or a good suspension kit.  I have had lots of low cars but I want this to be a fast road car.  I had a MK7 R but found it sterile.  I am chasing hot hatch fun. 

Has anyone fitted an LSD to the DSG and did it work out?  Happy to hear opinions and what you may have done in the past.

TIA

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=589sgtccj23ihpe614rdtbiov3&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: MK5 Tornado Red, 3dr DSG, Recaro seats
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 08:20:12 am »
Quaiffe and Wavetrac made diffs for these, no maintenance reliable units, these are torsen style diffs. Gripper and 1 or 2 other firms make plated race ones but these need maintenance, rebuilds and sounds way over the top for what you need it for.

Engine wise there is tons of info on here but check out R-Tech performances websites for the TFSI sections. It has pretty much all the info you'll need on what power you want.

TTRS calipers would probably be on my radar for the stopping well but there is the R32/S3/TTS and mk7 golf R calipers for a lower budget. The stock calipers are not great.

Suspension wise there is so much option then, I have b14 on mine and they're pretty poor over rough surfaces, great over smooth ones but not an ideal road set in my opinion. The bushes if original are probably dead so worth changing/upgrading. There is no camber adjustment on the front so would aim to get either a cpilover set with top mounts or get Super pro adjustabke balls joints or TT alloy wishbones which have an adjustable ball joint. The front wishbones rear console bush is known to be overly soft so worth upgrading, you can polybush it or stick a TT solid rubber bush in.

There is tonnes of other stuff, that's just a summary of some popular options and it's all well documented on here too to get some more detail.