Make a donation

Author Topic: Rossimac's Steel Grey GTI  (Read 21159 times)

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
Rossimac's Steel Grey GTI
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »
Hello all!

Decided to make one of these threads as I realised I wanted to keep a log of what I've done to the car so I can look back at it.  :happy2:

Got it back in August of this year and this was her on the first night after getting it home from Blackburn to Belfast (£300 trip for those interested - totally worth it - would only buy a car here in NI if it really was necessary).

A few photos from earlier tonight - saw it out the back of the house and thought the light was great so why not get the camera out?

The Steel Grey colour was exactly what I wanted but I couldn't find one here in NI at a reasonable price, so it was off to England.

Got the following spec:

April 2007
Steel Grey
Manual
2 previous owners
5 door (first 5 door I've had, but I now prefer it for ease of access etc)
Heated leather seats with arm rest
Sat nav with shark fin aerial
6 CD changer
17" Monzas
MFSW
High-line clocks
Puddle Lights
Electric-folding mirrors

:jumpmove:

First thing I did when I got the car was get the MFD2 up to date - quite scary after reading all of the "we hope your battery can hold up while the software is doing its thing as it'll be screwed if it doesn't" - but got it done nevertheless.

Got some LED bulbs for the numberplate lights. They aren't as bright as the full LED replacements so I'm going to sell the bulbs and get them done properly  :smiley:

Also got some LED puddle lights as I thought the original bulbs were too dull. Yes, they're bright, but I think they look awesome.

Next a few mechanical issues to attend to - I got the PCV, Cam Follower and DV replaced. I had been getting DV faults logged, so it needed to be changed. Went from rev C to rev D. Couldn't find any rev Gs at the time but I only plan on going to stage 1, so don't think I'll have that much of an issue with boost leak on the rev D.

As you can see it was in perfect condition, so no idea on why the faults kept coming up..... oh well!
Cam Follower had minimal wear. I didn't know when or if it had been previously replaced and with 100k coming up, I didn't want to find out the hard way.

Thanks to @scopes for the VCDS check when I was having a few issues btw - still owe you that beer money!  :drinking:

Got myself a genuine VAGCOM cable from www.gendan.co.uk - £263 but I'm sure I'll use it many times over the next few years!

As my car was a 2007 (the wire for cruise control was already factory-fitted) with highline clocks (which meant the steering wheel control module had the necessary functionality) - the only thing needed to enable cruise control was a stalk and some VCDS coding!

Job's a good'un.

That's as much as I've done to the car so far...

Oh, one more thing:

As I hate the original GTI bumper (I have no idea why they shipped the car with it...), I just had to get an Ed30 rear valance. Looked about for a genuine one but most were £200+. Saw this one on eBay the other day for £115 delivered (the fella selling didn't know it was an Ed30 one) and I just snapped it up. On the hunt for a genuine Ed30 front splitter and once I get that it'll be off to the bodyshop to get them painted along with the side-skirts. Also looking for Pescaras to complete the look  :driver:

The upper bumper has the parking sensor holes in it, so I may get that part fitted too and buy an OEM set.

Other plans in order of want - hopefully get these sorted over the next year:

OEM Xenons
New tyres (currently running Pirelli P6000s on the back and Dunlop Sport Fast Responses on the front  :stupid:)
Remap to stage 1
RNS-510 2013+
Bluetooth Kit

Love the car. Haven't had a single regret.

Also love the forum - on it practically every friggin' hour now  :laugh:

Hope you enjoyed the read...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:05:45 pm by Rossimac »

Offline KieranED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
  • Burning Rubber Since 16th Febuary 2012
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89941.0.html
Re: Rossimac's Steel Grey GTI
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »
Nice car mate you said about cruise control wire being fitted to the 2007 golfs I have a 2007 edition 30 so how easy will it be to fit cruise control cheers in advance  :happy2:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »
Nice car mate you said about cruise control wire being fitted to the 2007 golfs I have a 2007 edition 30 so how easy will it be to fit cruise control cheers in advance  :happy2:

Do you have high-line clocks? If so, you probably have the correct steering wheel control module otherwise you'll have to get the correct version.

I got the stalk for £17 - Chinese replica but I've had no issues yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-Cruise-Combination-Control-Stalk-For-VW-Jetta-Golf-Plus-GTI-MK5-Touran-Caddy-/321457913189?roken=cUgayN

The hardest part was disassembling the steering wheel really... it wasn't too difficult but I was wary of the airbag going off or pulling the wiring in behind it when yanking it out!

2007 cars should in general have the wire to the ECU fitted from factory, but I have heard of cases where it's not, so check before you buy I guess.

Coding using VCDS was easy by following the instructions on ROSS-TECH's website. All in it was an hour-long job :happy2:

Oh, and thanks - just taking a look at your Eddie now!  :congrats: 

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
Good start so far..This forum is additive

Offline KieranED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • Burning Rubber Since 16th Febuary 2012
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89941.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »
Yeah mate I have got highline clocks and everything my steering wheel isn't Multi function does that matter, what's the easiest way to tell if my car is wired up?? Thanks

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 09:57:46 pm »
MFSW doesn't make a difference as far as I know.

The easiest way is to see if the ECU has the wire going to it - you can get a look at this behind the windscreen wiper box -

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/28588-detailed-cruise-control-retrofit-golf-mk5-pics/

I took the gamble that there would be a wire there so never checked myself...  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:01:54 am »
Some good info here, will possibly give mine a check soon as I'd quite like cruise control. I have a late 2007 (57 plate) GTI so fingers crossed! Out of interest, is there a way of using VCDS or similar to find out exactly what steering module a car has fitted, then reference that to a list to find which features it supports out the box?

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:44:47 am »
Some good info here, will possibly give mine a check soon as I'd quite like cruise control. I have a late 2007 (57 plate) GTI so fingers crossed! Out of interest, is there a way of using VCDS or similar to find out exactly what steering module a car has fitted, then reference that to a list to find which features it supports out the box?

Mine has '1K0 953 549 BG' listed as steering wheel control module, car has MFSW, Cruise and DSG if that helps  :happy2:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:21:30 am »
Got my ED30 front splitter delivered. Couldn't find an original one so went for an ABS plastic one off eBay.

Will be painting and fitting this and the rear ED30 bumper in the summer along with an OEM parking kit as well.

Recently, I picked up a set of xenon headlights from a breakers for £70. Only downside was that the driver's side was completely disintegrated... but the internals apparently worked so I took a punt.

Tested in my car and found the ballast from one had a lot of corrosion on it.

Some electrical circuit cleaner from Halfords and a toothbrush later and the ballast was working once again.

After getting a second set of damaged headlamps (this time the driver's side was the good one - and again for £70 delivered, except no ballasts/igniters/bulbs this time so couldn't resell any of those components), I finally had my lamps ready to be fitted.

Once fitted they look awesome and make the front end of the car really light up.

Condensation inside the passenger's side after 20mins... unsure why.

Total expenditure including kufatec adapters and 2 lug repair kits from VW: £245.

Only issue I've had apart from the condensation is that my sidelights have come up with a CANBUS error. Not sure why as I think they both work.
I did have DRLs configured before with my Halogen lights, so maybe this has something to do with it?

Also, am I okay to continue to use the coming home/approaching car lights? I've read others say to disable this to stop the ballast from wearing out too early (as they will turn off and on as your switch the ignition on). What is your advice? I take it R32s have this function and they come with xenons as standard and therefore must be okay...?

Ideas, comments and questions welcome!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:29:07 am by Rossimac »

Offline J60RWN

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:28 am »
Just seen this after replying to you asking if you had any photos of your car  :grin:

Great car and love the colour! Had thought about going across to get one but managed to find mine locally

Did you change your DV yourself? My PCV valve has been done but thinking about changing the DV as a precaution

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »
 :happy2:

Good Job Ross, glad to see how well the car is coming along !   :driver:

Who did you use for remapping ?
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Eniqmatic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,84578
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 03:28:29 pm »
Looks great  :happy2: absolute bargain with the Xenon's. Very jealous!  :drool:

Offline Wayne D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 7
  • MKV GTI Pirelli
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:47:15 pm »
Looking good mate, as said on RMS, I'd gladly meet up if you want to arrange a mini meet for over here.  :smiley:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »
Just seen this after replying to you asking if you had any photos of your car  :grin:

Great car and love the colour! Had thought about going across to get one but managed to find mine locally

Did you change your DV yourself? My PCV valve has been done but thinking about changing the DV as a precaution

A relative owns a garage and he did it for me, but from what I heard, it's a simple enough job.
Nothing can really go wrong if your DV is faulty, it's just you'll lose that lovely boost... :P

:happy2:

Good Job Ross, glad to see how well the car is coming along !   :driver:

Who did you use for remapping ?

Hey Neil - yeah, it's coming along nicely. Really chuffed with the xenons so far!
Have yet to get it remapped. Hoping to get it done when my insurance renews in June as AXA NI don't allow for performance mods at all and they're the only insurer who will not Decline my girlfriend as a named driver (journalist) in Northern Ireland FFS.

Looking good mate, as said on RMS, I'd gladly meet up if you want to arrange a mini meet for over here.  :smiley:

Get something sorted closer to the end of Spring/start of Summer. I'll hold you to it.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:59:10 pm »
I have xenon lights from factory and after reading that the bulbs will last less having coming/leaving home function active I turned off that feature. I also have my light switch in Off position, instead of Auto, to avoid the lights turning on when passing through some shadow or short tunnel.

New bulbs aren't cheap and I'll do what I can to prolong their life. I have other mods in mind where to spend my money. :wink:

Keep up the good work! :happy2: