Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch issue - stuck up!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Clutch issue - stuck up!
« on: October 21, 2022, 01:05:36 pm »
Hey all - I have researched the forum but cant seem to find a resolution to this so hoping someone can help ..

Plenty of posts around a clutch being stuck to the floor but not many where the clutch is stuck in the top position.  Ultimately i cant press the clutch down, and the clutch is engaged ie i can put it in any gear without pressing the clutch... which seems to me like something is stuck?

I recently had the clutch to the floor issue, and bled the system along with replacing the master cylinder.  I am hoping its not the slave as i understand that involves taking the whole gearbox out?

Would anyone have any ideas what the issue could be here? its the 6 speed non dsg box...

Thanks!
Craig

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Clutch issue - stuck up!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 05:45:20 pm »
Yeah it is a gearbox off job for the slave cylinder unfortunately.

Crack off the slave cylinder bleed nipple and push the pedal down to see if fluid comes out.  If it does, we can outrule the Master cylinder.

If nothing comes out with the nipple cracked off, maybe that plastic donut thing near the ABS pump is busted. It's some kind of clutch delay valve has 'things' inside it which potentially could break.

And lastly, if they both pass, logically it has to be a jammed clutch, although I don't quite know how or why! It's a puzzler! Not heard of pedals not going down before, very odd.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 11:33:29 am »
Hey Pudding - thanks for the response, much appreciated... i thought it was an odd one too.. I was half thinking it could be a faulty master cylinder replacement part but its brand new so chances are pretty small.  Thanks for the advice on how to rule that out

Didnt think the plastic part near ABS - that could be worth investigating, i will try what you mention above... have got a mobile mechanic coming round at some point too... thanks for the help, appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 11:38:23 am by CJMC »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 10:32:17 am »
Did this issue only happen after replacing the Master Cylinder?

This has just reminded me of when I bought a replacement MC (SACHS brand) after my pedal flopped to the ocean floor and never resurfaced again. 

I was fiddling with it (as you do with new parts awaiting fitment!) and I was confused as to why I couldn't push the piston in!  It wouldn't budge at all, even with a lot of force. 

I wondered if there was some kind of clip that needs removing before fitting, or a special fitting technique to release some internal barb or something, but in the end I didn't need it, so never found out.

So based on mine not moving either, that could well be your problem!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D