Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?  (Read 78058 times)

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
Re: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:19:10 am »
I have this on my car too and i have always thought (and been told by revo) its the ecu holding back,,, i was advised to get the fuel pump but even people with the fuel pump are having the same issue.

you can actually see the flat spot here on my graph

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 11:06:43 am »
Seems a common issue with a few of us over on SCN with Revo. There was a misfire issue bulletin from Revo on 08 engine I'll try and find it.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:59 am »
This is NOT a software issue;

this will be related to the TSB VAG currently have out on the valve springs in K04 cars..... depending on how old the vehicle is and how restrictive your exhaust is will depend on if the issue is apparent on the vehicle, our K1 has no such issue, none of the cars i have setup have had this issue unless they are within the said VAG TSB.

sorry to be blunt but i want it to be clear for you all so you are all well informed!  :smiley:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 11:49:41 am »
Yep sorry i didn't mean it was Revo specific. Just the bulletin came from Revo.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 11:51:44 am »

this will be related to the TSB VAG currently have out on the valve springs in K04 cars..... depending on how old the vehicle is and how restrictive your exhaust is will depend on if the issue is apparent on the vehicle, our K1 has no such issue, none of the cars i have setup have had this issue unless they are within the said VAG TSB.

sorry to be blunt but i want it to be clear for you all so you are all well informed!  :smiley:

Carl are you able to post more details from the TSB - specifically the build dates of the cars effected? I'm looking at K04 cars at the moment, so would like to be aware of any potential issues.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »
I just copied and pasted this from a TT forum, maybe it is related

sorry for caps i just copied and pasted...

"REMOVE VALVE COVER AND THE COLOR OF THE VALVE SPRINGS IS WHITE & YELLOW. REQUIRE REPLACEMENT.

FOLLOWED ELSA PROCEDURE TO REMOVE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP. CYLINDER HEAD COVER. TIMING BELT. CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER. CAMSHAFT GUIDE PLATE. CAMSHAFTS. R&R VALVE SPRINGS AND VALVE KEEPERS. FOLLOWED ELSA TO REMOVE VACUUM PUMP AND CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER.

REMOUNTED ALL REMOVED PARTS IN RESPECT TO ELSA INSTRUCTIONS AS IN TIMING BELT. CAMSHAFTS. CAMSHAFT ADJUSTER. GUIDE PLATE FOR CMASHAFTS. CYLINDER HEAD COVER.HIGH PRESSURE PUMP. REFILLED COOLANT SYSTEM. CLEARED ALL FAULTS. TEST DROVE VEHICLE. RE SCANNED AND NO MISFIRE FAULTS PRESENT."

So, if your valve springs are White and Yellow, they are the wrong ones, apparently.

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 05:40:21 pm »

So its the valve springs then, and if I get them changed the flat spot should go away? How comes you guys havent made this aware to your dealers? Also I emailed you guys about the flat spot and there was no mention of it possibly being related to the valves

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 05:42:09 pm »
Good option to go and get supertech valvetrain fitted then :evilgrin: :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 05:51:57 pm »
Good option to go and get supertech valvetrain fitted then :evilgrin: :wink:

Im starting to think maybe im better off getting rid. Absolute love how the cupra looks and all the stares it gets, but the 2.0TFSI is just too tempermental a engine for me. Plus stage 2 plus isnt quick enough for me either, so perhaps its time for me to think about stop throwing good money after bad and just get a evo x and throw money at that instead.

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 06:25:40 pm »
Am thinking exactly the same thing.
but not an evo
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »

so perhaps its time for me to think about stop throwing good money after bad and just get a evo x and throw money at that instead.

....A friend recently bought an Evo X SST on 14,000 miles for £22k. I've driven it and it's a superb car but only when you drive it very hard. Even then it badly needs a louder exhaust and lowering. When just cruising you've got time to take in the interior - It's comfortable but terribly ordinary and feels like a very average family saloon car.

It'll cost you serious money to mod it into something really tasty imo.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 06:33:52 pm »
The 2.0T FSI when tuned right is an absolute animal..

Tuning an EVO is no easier (apart from fueling) there are just more parts readily available and its more developed as a tuned engine making it appear that way..

To get either engine to 500hp would be very similar in costs
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 06:58:17 pm »
Given your experiences and coming out the other end with some decent cars, would it not be more prudent to leave it for a year and see how this latest TSB turns out?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 08:16:33 pm »
Am thinking exactly the same thing.
but not an evo

What have you got in mind? I have a few candidates, e92 m3, evo x, tt-rs. Or option 2 being keep the cupra as it is, and get another car like evo 8 and strip it and tune that, or a vauxhall vx220 or lotus exige. But will see once im 21.

so perhaps its time for me to think about stop throwing good money after bad and just get a evo x and throw money at that instead.

....A friend recently bought an Evo X SST on 14,000 miles for £22k. I've driven it and it's a superb car but only when you drive it very hard. Even then it badly needs a louder exhaust and lowering. When just cruising you've got time to take in the interior - It's comfortable but terribly ordinary and feels like a very average family saloon car.

It'll cost you serious money to mod it into something really tasty imo.

Well the cupra only gets driven one way, I have no real need for a car. Also all the critiscism of the evo can be laid on the cupra also.

Both need lot of money to mod into something tasty.
The 2.0T FSI when tuned right is an absolute animal..

Tuning an EVO is no easier (apart from fueling) there are just more parts readily available and its more developed as a tuned engine making it appear that way..

To get either engine to 500hp would be very similar in costs

Thing is though the evo has a better chassis and drivetrain. Im a VAG boy down to my socks, but they are just too tempermental.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 08:24:58 pm »
Thing is though the evo has a better chassis and drivetrain. Im a VAG boy down to my socks, but they are just too tempermental.

Cant say I have ever had issues.. But guess I may have just been lucky..

I would argue the chassis side.. The Supercopa Cup cars are proof that when fitted with proper dampers its an absolute peach and for the drivetrain the Evo's blow transfer cases like there going out of fashion once there running decent power
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128