Make a donation

Author Topic: Tell me what I need (Forge)  (Read 2200 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Tell me what I need (Forge)
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:50:33 am »
Guys, I was hoping someone might be able to help me here. I did post in the Performance & Modifications forum but I'm guessing it doesn't get too much traffic!

For warranty reasons modifications on my car have been restricted to purely aesthetic changes, however next year I'm hoping to make a small number of performance orientated improvements, most probably a Revo Stage 1 map and a Milltek Catback. Nothing too hardcore!

One characteristic of the car I used to love was the "whoosh" sound when you lift off the throttle, so I'd like to emphasise this if possible.

Am I right in thinking I can replace the standard diverter valve with a Forge Vacuum Operated Valve (this one: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=7995&xSec=151) and also fit the Forge Adjustable Atmospheric Blow Off Valve (this one: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=6957&xSec=151) to control the sound it makes?

Apologies in advance for my lack of technical knowhow!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Tell me what I need (Forge)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:41 am »
hi andrew,

you are correct , you can replace the original with the parts you suggested  :happy2:
i would however urge some caution (or at the very least some forum reading) on this product, especially the VTA spacer.
I'm not saying dont, just have a read on forums. Some have reported running issues.
The TFSI system was really designed to recirculate the air so Id suggest you keep it that way.
Opinion is divided but many swear by the Forge item , other prefer an OE VW solution.

Id suggest fitting REVO stg 1 first and make sure the cars running well THEN fitting the forge if you want to.
there is also redesigned valve from VW which you can fit as an alternative
(as when you go REVO you may find the increased boost levels damage your original valve anyway)
(fwiw my stage1 apr is still running the original valve for nearly 20k...)

as an alternative you may want to consider keeping the air recirculating but get a similar noise by fitting a new intake.
not quite the same but avoids any possible 'issues' : ITG or Forge twintake are good choices.
plus an exhaust maybe?

all my opinion
John

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:30:40 am »
Thanks John, that's very helpful!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:18 am »
^^^^
John has covered it all in his usual excellently thorough way.

I would emphasise John's advice about the Forge blow-off spacer valve - I'm surprised that Forge have produced it but they are usually very thorough in their testing. Soundwise, generally the Mk5 community frowns on such noises! But more subtle swishy soundz from air intakes are considered cool by most.

Reports suggest that the ITG intake is louder than the Forge TWINtake and this is largely due to the ITG's filter not being enclosed. Here is a TWINtake sound clip (not mine) : -

[Sorry, can't find right now but will add later]

I would only add that the further into the future that you can manage to think, the better. You've already said that you don't want to go too hardcore but if you think there's any chance of you wanting to do track days ever, then try to cater for that future possibility. And yes, it's 'safer' to do so beyond your VW warranty period.

Be aware that you will get more performance benefits from a turbo-back exhaust when remapped. Also that exhaust and air intake compliment each other.

It's a very slippery slope as I'm sure you are aware from visiting this forum! A Stage1 remap easily leads to a Stage2 which easily leads to the need for bigger brakes and improved suspension. Too many people imo forget to mod the handling - The oem Mk5 GTI is excellent without any mods and the trick is to preserve that balance between power and handling as you modify.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:21:25 am »
Thanks Robin, I've been reading these forums for a while now, and am trying to carefully formulate which modifications I go for, and totally agree that it's important to think beyond the immediate future.

I'm halfway through the Forge Twintake thread (a bit heavy going for me!), and like the look of the ITG Induction Kit. Presumably this is reasonably easy to fit yourself?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 11:34:33 am »
^^^^
I don't know if ITG have a good fitting instructions guide but the Forge TWINtake has. My TWINtake should be ready in the next couple of weeks but I'm not wanting to fit it myself. Some others on this forum are very capable of it and of course, because they can do it, they'll say it's easy. It simply comes down to how confident/capable you happen to be at such jobs.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather have the responsibility rest on someone else's shoulders. Besides, I'm not interested in buying a whole collection of tools etc etc.

In time it'll be interesting to see which of the TWINtake and ITG intakes perform best. IIRC they are similar in price.

Forge are developing a cheaper version of their TWINtake but without the benefits of the side filter branch. That will be competing with quite a few other intakes I expect. It's come from the fact that the TWINtake won't fit the A3/S3/Passat engine bay.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:36:37 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:12:59 pm »
i ran my blow off valve for about 15k without any issue. that was before i swapped to the D revision DV though.

the only reason i got rid of it was the noise bacame a little to chavvy for me driving around normally. Felt like a bit of a tool when its giving loud whooshes in a traffic jam

If you want a whoosh but a bit better sounding one and only when you accelerate then the ITG intake is what you want as its very vocal (however when you drive normally you can here it sucking in air but not whooshing, so best of both worlds)

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:17:01 pm »
how can an intake produce a sound that the DV makes? because their joined at the back of the engine?   :confused:

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »
its more an alternative than the same Steve...
replacement 'tube' type air intakes amplify the normal air flow noises for a pleasing feedback  :happy2:
been in Gaz's S3 with the ITG and its a very nice sound   :notworthy:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:46:04 pm »
how can an intake produce a sound that the DV makes? because their joined at the back of the engine?   :confused:

believe me ask any of the guys who have the ITG, when you are hard on the gas and change gear it gives a very satisfying whoosh.  Im likening it to the blow of valve due to the personal experience of having had both on this car. except the ITG does ot when i want to, the blow off did it all the time

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »

It's the sound of the re-circ resonating within the induction system. It's the same noise that the Ford engineers fought to keep on the new RS whilst the powers that be wanted to dampen and eliminate it!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:12:32 pm »

believe me ask any of the guys who have the ITG, when you are hard on the gas and change gear it gives a very satisfying whoosh.  Im likening it to the blow of valve due to the personal experience of having had both on this car. except the ITG does ot when i want to, the blow off did it all the time

....I think that all the aftermarket high-flow tubular air intakes amplify such noises. The only differences being in the acoustics and hence some doing it marginally more than others.

I'm hoping I'll hear an ITG at the Surrey R-Road meet on Saturday.

I wish I had bookmarked that TWINtake sound clip I found - Haven't found it again yet.