Make a donation

Author Topic: engine swap  (Read 6169 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
engine swap
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:19:18 pm »
There is a TSI engine up for grabs in our for sale section.

My question is, to fit this into a mk 5 or cupra what bits would have to go with it. As you are aware the Mk5 over here has the TFSI engine in.

Could the block just be swapped like for like or would the wiring loom, Ecu and other ancillaries need to be swapped as well.  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: engine swap
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »

My question is, to fit this into a mk 5 or cupra what bits would have to go with it. As you are aware the Mk5 over here has the TFSI engine in.

Could the block just be swapped like for like or would the wiring loom, Ecu and other ancillaries need to be swapped as well.  :happy2:

Just the obvious one.. Why?
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »
whats the difference in the engines?....

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 06:23:49 pm »

What do you mean just the obvious one. I know someone who just needs a TFSI block, i am hoping that the block can be just swapped out with a TSI one. without needing anything else to go along with it. :happy2:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »
sort you photobucket!! my avatar has gone missing!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »

What do you mean just the obvious one. I know someone who just needs a TFSI block, i am hoping that the block can be just swapped out with a TSI one. without needing anything else to go along with it. :happy2:

Sorry, got the impression that you were wanting to do an engine swap.. Must have been something to do with the thread title  :wink:

As far as I know its different as I know the aftermarket rods and pistons for the TFSI are not compatible with the TSI

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 06:30:23 pm »
Statllers have a 2.0TSI A3 convertible in with a totally fubarred engine. They are considering swapping it with an S3/ED30 block, but they say it does need the full wiring loom, ECU etc to make it work. They haven't looked into the mounting points for the engine yet, but I'd expect that these will differ too. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:31:23 pm »
Ok cheers guys.  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:33:16 pm »
Give us a shout if any of you come across a TFSI GTI engine or S3 one. thanks again.  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:35:18 pm »
Give us a shout if any of you come across a TFSI GTI engine or S3 one. thanks again.  :happy2:

Because of the complicated FSI system on the new engines there actually swapping hands for less than the cost of good 1.8T's now.. As there is so much involved with swapping them into older cars etc..

Keep your eye out on Ebay etc, there becoming more and more available and therefore cheaper and cheaper too!

£750 seems to be the going rate for a GTI motor etc.. Good luck!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:11:57 am »
I would love to swap the TFSI for a TSI, instead of cambelt you have a chain, the fuelling is on par with the tuning potential (160bar for the hpfp i think), and priority nr. 1, on standard rods and pistons, it can withstand more than 500nm, instead of the 440nm for the TFSI.

:congrats:  :pomppomp:  :notworthy:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:23:41 am »
I would love to swap the TFSI for a TSI, instead of cambelt you have a chain, the fuelling is on par with the tuning potential (160bar for the hpfp i think), and priority nr. 1, on standard rods and pistons, it can withstand more than 500nm, instead of the 440nm for the TFSI.

:congrats:  :pomppomp:  :notworthy:

And......think of the road tax savings, the swap would pay for itself in about 50 years!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:26:37 am by VeeDubDan »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:20:17 am »
From what I've been reading, the EA113 (TFSI) is better and stronger than the EA888 - Hence why both the 'Rocco R and Golf R are actually running tuned EA113s. Corners and tolerances have been 'trimmed' to make the EA888 cheaper and easier to build. I guess only time will tell whether the EA888 can be tuned to the same degree as the EA113 and be as reliable.

Also, chain driven isn't as fit and forget a people think. Chains still stretch over time.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:40:56 pm »
VW Racing have managed to grenade a couple of TSI motors running standard K03 turbos and have now swapped the motors in the all of the Sciroccos to the TFSI for reliability, the grass isn't always greener!

VW taking the decision to run the TFSI in the Golf and Scirocco R proves this point..

That was why I had originally asked why you would make the move to what is being proved as an inferior engine..