Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf  (Read 115845 times)

Offline supercati

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
There are not new updatdes from anyone? :)
Golf V GT Sport 1.4 TSI 170 '07

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
It appears the Italians have thrown in the towel. The new electronics in MK7 platform have enhanced component protection (requiring VINs etc now too) and despite wiring correctly and having very latest CAN gateway etc they could power up the unit but not properly use it. Poor guy bought it brand new for 4 figure sum from dealers!! Sucks for him eh.

Appears to be a dead-end for now sadly.
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

dahui9

Any updated information on this, I've been chasing this in the US now for about a week and this is the most information I've found on this system period.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Don't understand why they can't get this working when it's being fitted to the Beetle and Scirocco which still use the Mk5 platform? Or have they updated all the electronics in these cars now?

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
Don't understand why they can't get this working when it's being fitted to the Beetle and Scirocco which still use the Mk5 platform? Or have they updated all the electronics in these cars now?

Seems to be more related to the component protection, which is the same problem you'd get if you tried to fit Nav to a mK7 which didn't originally have it from the factory.
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

cwscotty

Seems to be more related to the component protection, which is the same problem you'd get if you tried to fit Nav to a mK7 which didn't originally have it from the factory.

Cant the dealer remove component protection via online connection to VW? I found a site that has just started selling these PQ units.
http://www.factory-retrofits.co.uk/vw-discover-media-dab-navigation-system-5c0035680c-scirocco-caddy-transporter-beetle-tiguan/
They say that a retrofit harness is required, but don't make mention of the component protection, which i've asked for clarification from them.

I did notice that these people are selling the full blown Discover Pro with component protection disabled. http://jku.com.au/genuine-vw-golf-7-r-8-discovery-pro-sat-nav-retrofit-kit-with-active-australia-maps-oem-5g0035043b.html

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
That first link is very interesting.  :happy2:

Offline jettamike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Anyone got any further on this? I was all set to buy a 510 dab, but just had a courtesy beetle given to me for a few days and the radio in it is quite a piece of kit compared to my old RCD 300 in the Jetta.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
They are also being sold on eBay now too and mention of Adapter harness being required.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
You will need to remove Component Protection on second hand unit before fitting it to your car guys.
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Company selling them says they are ready to fit.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
So buy it and you will find out

cwscotty

Company selling them says they are ready to fit.

If this is the link on eBay your referring to: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-DISCOVER-MEDIA-DAB-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-5C0035680C-SCIROCCO-CADDY-T5-T6-/281823034664?hash=item419df63d28:g:i9kAAOSwhcJWHokw
It is from the factory-retrofits.co.uk company listed in my post above. There is a comment in the description that component protection needs to be worked out, and the maps cannot be activated at this time. You'll also need a wire harness, possibly a new CAN gateway, and I read somewhere that you also need the 3D Premium instrument cluster.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
I have no intention of fitting one.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
Ok. Yes they are ready to fit but... They want to fit. Once fitted Component Protection needs to be removed. They didnt wrote it in description. Thats all