Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf  (Read 114499 times)

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
Details of the Touran guy anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Who can do it as i want one. Any details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 very curious to give this a try.

Offline bigwig74

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Retrofit of Discover Media/ Composition Media head units to a Mk5/ Mk6 Golf
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »
did anyone have any luck with this retrofit?

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2016, 12:35:53 am »
Hi. I have found this thread while searching web to find some issues I met with retrofitting of Discover Media units into Mk5/Mk6 platform cars.

Basically I can say: yes, I have managed it. I will post some more information in couple of hours (it's 1:35 Am here in Poland and I'm a bit sleepy)

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2016, 08:00:54 am »
As promised :) The whole story started 10 months ago when I bought Amundsen 5L0035680C unit (Skoda version of Discover Media) and decided to fit it into my 2011 Skoda Superb. It took 6 months of work to prepare and test the solution. Process steps:
1. You need a radio. The best is to get radio that has not been locked with Component Protection (CP) and that has all the features you are interested in activated (e.g. Voice Control, App-Connect).
2. Dedicated hardware patch has to be installed inside the radio. It protects the radio from self-activation of CP when the timer is reached.
3. If you have 3D instruments then you need additional CAN filter that prevents radio to be CP locked by the order from instruments.

I know it sounds a bit complicated so let me put some more explantaions.

Ad. 1 - if you buy radio with not all the features you want activated then missing features have to be activated which is a bit expensive and it doesn't matter if you activate 1 or all features. It's even worse if you get CP locked radioa as it requires first unlocking and then activation of all the features (during CP removal all the fetaures are deactivated so they have to be activated again). The worst is when you buy CP locked unit which has been stolen and is blacklisted in GeKo - such unit is not usable. So be careful when buying the units!!!

Ad. 2 - when radio is for the first time powered outside donor car it starts internal timer which according to my experience is set to approx. 8 hours of operations. When the timer expires unit automatically locks itself with CP. Timer runs every time the unit is powered - e.g.. if you drive 1 hour a day then after 8 days the unit will lock itself. HW patch resets this timer every time the unit is restarted so after every restart you have the same amount of time available before unit locks. And even when it locks all you have to do is push power button for couple of second so the unit is restarted :) The  issue is that usually you don't know how much time is left when you buy the unit - so if you patch the unit that was already running for 7.5 hours it will be locking itself every 30 minutes :(

Ad. 3 - new 3D FIS instruments have CP management built-in. In such case, when instruments software realizes there was a radio change it immediately sends over CAN frame which lock radio with CP. The filter you install does not allow this frame to be delivered to radio. If you have white FIS instruments don't manage CP so in such case this filter is not required.

I have not managed all the issues yet - affected are cars with Sound System (no sound at all) and reverse cameras (the camera works only with OPS installed I;m not able to have on one screen both reverse camera and OPS visualisation). I'm working on both issues and expect to have them solved within few weeks.

Just before X-mas I installed Discovery Media in 2011 Scirocco. The site is in Polish but I think you will enjoy it anyway http://forum.golf6.pl/vw-inne-profil/vw-scirocco-2-0tdi-indywidual-2011-by-dark55-t4954-10.html

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »
As promised :) The whole story started 10 months ago when I bought Amundsen 5L0035680C unit (Skoda version of Discover Media) and decided to fit it into my 2011 Skoda Superb. It took 6 months of work to prepare and test the solution. Process steps:
1. You need a radio. The best is to get radio that has not been locked with Component Protection (CP) and that has all the features you are interested in activated (e.g. Voice Control, App-Connect).
2. Dedicated hardware patch has to be installed inside the radio. It protects the radio from self-activation of CP when the timer is reached.
3. If you have 3D instruments then you need additional CAN filter that prevents radio to be CP locked by the order from instruments.

I know it sounds a bit complicated so let me put some more explantaions.

Ad. 1 - if you buy radio with not all the features you want activated then missing features have to be activated which is a bit expensive and it doesn't matter if you activate 1 or all features. It's even worse if you get CP locked radioa as it requires first unlocking and then activation of all the features (during CP removal all the fetaures are deactivated so they have to be activated again). The worst is when you buy CP locked unit which has been stolen and is blacklisted in GeKo - such unit is not usable. So be careful when buying the units!!!

Ad. 2 - when radio is for the first time powered outside donor car it starts internal timer which according to my experience is set to approx. 8 hours of operations. When the timer expires unit automatically locks itself with CP. Timer runs every time the unit is powered - e.g.. if you drive 1 hour a day then after 8 days the unit will lock itself. HW patch resets this timer every time the unit is restarted so after every restart you have the same amount of time available before unit locks. And even when it locks all you have to do is push power button for couple of second so the unit is restarted :) The  issue is that usually you don't know how much time is left when you buy the unit - so if you patch the unit that was already running for 7.5 hours it will be locking itself every 30 minutes :(

Ad. 3 - new 3D FIS instruments have CP management built-in. In such case, when instruments software realizes there was a radio change it immediately sends over CAN frame which lock radio with CP. The filter you install does not allow this frame to be delivered to radio. If you have white FIS instruments don't manage CP so in such case this filter is not required.

I have not managed all the issues yet - affected are cars with Sound System (no sound at all) and reverse cameras (the camera works only with OPS installed I;m not able to have on one screen both reverse camera and OPS visualisation). I'm working on both issues and expect to have them solved within few weeks.

Just before X-mas I installed Discovery Media in 2011 Scirocco. The site is in Polish but I think you will enjoy it anyway http://forum.golf6.pl/vw-inne-profil/vw-scirocco-2-0tdi-indywidual-2011-by-dark55-t4954-10.html

This is quite interesting.

SO tell me, how you know if its CP protected? what if the seller dont know is there any way of knowong mfrom the unit itself? is this issue specific to a certain revision/model or all the discover Media units have the CP issue?

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2016, 07:36:01 pm »
Quite easy - connect it just to the power supply and turn on. If you don't get Component Protection message on the screen then it's OK.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2016, 08:41:12 pm »
o.k sweet.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
Hi guys
Last Saturday I  successfully retrofitted Discover Media unit into Ady's 2005 Golf MK5. Some of you probably see it already but there are the pics:

Unfortunately we didnt have time to play with it yet and just fitted it to see how it goes. All will be finished this Saturday so more pics to follow. All works fine on White or Colour clocks so far.

Regards
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Aleksaa

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Could you tell me the full "name" of the navi? Because i couldn't find it on the internet, and I would like to retrofit it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
Discover Media

Offline Aleksaa

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Yes, I know that. But is there some particular code for this type of Discovery which fits in older cars?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Redditch
You cant fit it just like that. Component Protection needs to be removed and maps activated. Its not plug & play like RNS510

Offline pab567

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
5C0035680

Wysłane z mojego HTC One przy użyciu Tapatalka

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:35 am »
Hi @olsen-72 any update on this? Is this a service you will soon be offering alongside your others? Thanks in advance. Stu.
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)