Make a donation

Author Topic: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 8th track day at Estoril  (Read 220106 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 2nd track day at Estoril (picture heavy)
« Reply #405 on: December 19, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »
I've heard stories of lighter crank pullies causing issues so be wary of that.

Glad you have made some nice small mods they look good :)

Only question is on the dyno chart what's the odd looking flat spot at 2500rpm?
I didn't heard any but I didn't really search for them. I just trusted the GFB build quality... I'll look into it now. :thinking:

Btw, the GFB crank pulley isn't an underdrive version like the Neuspeed's is.

That flat spot corresponds to the boost spike and boost control. All TFSI engine do that spike on the BAPRO dyno. Not noticeable on the road unless I get traction issues. :signLOL:

The MAHA dyno where I had the car tested for the 1st time seems to filter that spike. :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #406 on: December 19, 2016, 02:13:03 pm »
This is the manufacturer's product information:
Best Lightweight Pulley Kit for VW Golf GTI Mk5 2.0t 04-09: The Go Fast Bits Golf mk5 crank pulley-non underdrive
GFB's lightweight non-underdrive crank pulley (part number 2012) is made from anodized aircraft-grade billet 6061-T6 aluminium and offers sharper throttle response and faster acceleration. Kit includes: crank pulley, 6 x bolts, 6 x washers (original factory belt is used).

GFB pulleys are designed to improve acceleration by reducing the rotational mass (inertia) on the crankshaft. The effect is similar to a lighter flywheel, and the engine feels more lively and willing to rev.

We know that people are sometimes concerned about possible adverse effects of lightweight pulleys, but rest assured we have done our homework! Whilst it is true that some engine types do suffer harmonic issues from lightweight pulleys, we steer clear of those. The kits we release are thoroughly application tested and do NOT cause engine damage in the short or long term.

Our products are manufactured in Australia and the company is accredited to ISO 9001, which ensures our products meet stringent quality requirements at all stages of manufacture.

GFB have Australia's best performance turbo management solutions. See more of our range at www.gfb.com.au.

Reassuring since they know about the harmonic issue with lightweight crank pulleys, I think.  :thinking:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #407 on: December 19, 2016, 02:16:07 pm »
Rotamass states the following about their lightweight crank pulley:
There is a common misconception that the factory crank pulley is a harmonic balancer which is not the case. The Volkswagen/Audi TSI engine's rotating section is fully balanced from the factory prior to the accessory drive pulley being installed. Since our Rotamass Lightweight Crank Pulley is precision balanced by both design and manufacturing, it performs nearly identical to the factory part it replaces. With our test engine, we removed the crankshaft prior to the installation of the pulley, measured the bearings and crankshaft journals. During all of our testing there was absolutely zero signs of abnormal engine wear.

I suppose the TFSI engine works the same. The OEM part didn't look like having any damper included.

This is another information about the GFB crank pulley for the BRZ/FR-S engine:
WHY NO HARMONIC BALANCER?

A better name for a harmonic balancer would be "torsional dampener" since its main task is to absorb the rotational pulses inflicted on the crankshaft by the pistons. Most often it is incorporated into the crank pulley by attaching the outer belt drive ring to the inner by means of vulcanized rubber. At the right RPM, it is possible for a resonant frequency to be set up torsionally on the crankshaft. Resonant frequency occurs when the pulses of the engine correspond with the natural frequency of the crankshaft and it ancillary components. However, since factory pulleys are often comparatively heavy (reasons for this are described later) it is actually the large mass (and therefore inertia) of the factory harmonic balancer and flywheel that will help to excite this natural frequency. So by dramatically reducing the weight and inertia of the crank pulley, the natural frequency of the crankshaft is shifted and its ability to self-excite is greatly reduced. So in fact it is the harmonic balancer's own weight that necessitates the dampening, and since the weight of a GFB crank pulley is typically about 20% of the factory component it cannot supply an exciting force significant enough to damage the crankshaft.

An opinion often expressed is "if the manufacturer put it there, it must be there for a reason". However, if you look at it from the car manufacturer's point of view, casting pulleys from steel is very cheap and easy, because they can be produced in large numbers and there is no waste (as opposed to machining them from billet). But because the resulting pulley weighs significantly more than one made from aluminium alloy, it requires dampening.

Manufacturers will always build cars (even high performance cars) to suit the widest possible selection of driving scenarios and drivers, which means there are always compromises. The weight of the flywheel and pulley also affect how fast the revs drop between gear shifts, and a production car is designed to only allow the revs to drop fast enough for average shifts. If you hurry the shift the revs will be too high for the next gear, resulting in a sharp jerk as the momentum of the engine transmits through the drivetrain. Reducing the engines' inertia with a lightweight pulley kit allows faster and smoother shifting.

When looking at high performance engines such as those found in Honda VTEC equipped cars and the S2000, it is obvious that manufacturers do understand the benefits of reducing engine inertia, and have utilized lightweight pulleys to help the power output and responsiveness without the use of a harmonic balancer.

However, this is not the case for all engines, many of them do require the use of the harmonic balancer to prevent failure. Skylines with the RB20, 25 and 26 are a good example of this, which is why we don't make a pulley kit for them. The pulley kits we do make are for engines that do not rely on the balancer to any significant degree.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #408 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:53 pm »
I had to remove the only blue cap I had left on my engine bay so I got this instead. :laugh:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #409 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:49 pm »
Went today to get the car tested on the dyno again after fitting the VWR intake and the Go Fast Bits lightweight crank pulley.

Now it measured 355,6 CV and 337 lbft, so about +20 CV and the same torque compared to last time, at 15ºC of ambient temp and 27ºC of intake temp. :pomppomp:

The intake really made a good difference, not just on the butt dyno. :grin:

Not sure what was the contribution of the lightweight crank pulley to the final result.

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2017, 01:05:35 am »
Nice results! :wink:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2017, 11:58:32 am »
Nice results! :wink:
Thanks RBS! :drinking:

Hope yours won't take long to be finished. :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »
Last weekend tried my best to seal the track wheels with Gyeon Rim Q2. Still need to coat them again to really make sure they're well sealed. I also test fitted the Team Dynamics with the Brembo 18Z and they have a bigger gap with the calipers. :grin:

Yesterday I went to my mechanic's garage who lives 200 miles away and we replaced the front pads with new EBC Redstuff, then we made a brake oil flush to see how the Motul RBF 600 handled the track day and there was no air in the right calipers like the previous oil flush with the ATE SL.6. Then he carefully set the VW Racing adjustable drop links to make sure they had the most neutral position. They were fitted with 3 cm less than the OEM drop links and in the same position as the OEM were by another friend. Looking carefully that wasn't ideal because the left top ball joint would reach it's maximum angle when under hard cornering, also due to the position of the Koni Sport damper connection to the drop link. On most coilovers the connection to the drop link is right above the sway bar connection. With the Koni Sport dampers the drop links were to angled. Now it's much better. :smiley:

The lightweight GFB engine pulley (~300 g) was replaced back to the OEM engine pulley (~1,6 kg). Still need to drive more to see if I notice the difference of removing the lightweight pulley. I've just done mostly highway miles since and was more worried about saving petrol on the way back (29.7 mpg before playing a bit with a GT-R). The difference would be on quick speed pickups, I think.

The car had a final overall checkup and the engine oil was topped off.  :smiley:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:54 pm »
Good progress, nice upgrades :)

I think OEM engine pulley is better TBH. I have read a lot of issues with lightened ones.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:41 pm »
Good progress, nice upgrades :)

I think OEM engine pulley is better TBH. I have read a lot of issues with lightened ones.
Thanks Jay!  :drinking:

Yeah, Dan_FR explained me why it's a bad idea to fit lightweight engine pulleys on our engines so it had to come off before the track day: https://www.facebook.com/JNLRacing/posts/1141770932518180.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #415 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:33 pm »
Good link and discussion :)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #416 on: January 23, 2017, 11:19:04 pm »
After testing more carefully my car now, it's my opinion that the lightweight engine pulley does make a difference. The engine revved quicker from lower RPM with it fitted. Just to share my experience. I don't regret returning to stock since I value more my engine's lifespan. :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
Re: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 3rd track day at Estoril
« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »
I went to my 3rd track day last Sunday. The weather forecast wasn't favourable. It said that it could rain most of the day... :sad1: Because of that I preferred to keep my road tyres fitted since I know how they handle on wet roads. I'm not too sure if the Federal would handle well. My friends use Toyo Proxes R888R and told me that they are good in the wet too but looking at online reviews of the Federal it wasn't reassuring.

Well, in the end I just caught rain during the short travel to the track and it was a clear sky (just above it) when I arrived. It didn't rain there once in the whole day, although it did in the nearby area! :surprised:

The track was still very wet on the 1st session but it dried during the rest of the day. Just some bits kept a bit wet and it was only noticeable on hard braking or hard cornering where the car slipped a bit. I never lost control of the car so it was just good fun. :laugh:

It was the first time I went on the track with a reduced tyre pressure! I'm still learning the ropes of this business...  :ashamed: When I returned to the box on the 3rd session (with an almost completely dry track) my front and rear tyres were 2,4 bar. Not sure if I should have reduced a bit more the pressure for the 4th session but I was enjoying the improved handling and kept it like that (1,9 bar on front tyres and 2,0 bar on the rear tyres). The tyre wear was also much reduced this time. :smiley:

I'll have to do the same learning when I finally use the Federal 595 RS-R. Hopefully next time. :grin:

These are the first pictures I had access to. More will be available on the next days. :smiley:

And my only available video so far too:

I had a great day and I've already booked next event in April. :party:

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #418 on: February 16, 2017, 03:04:35 pm »
Great pics man
Edition 30 num 859

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #419 on: February 16, 2017, 06:44:50 pm »