Make a donation

Author Topic: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 8th track day at Estoril  (Read 219709 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 5th track day at Estoril
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2018, 04:19:10 pm »
Nice  :happy2:  Glad you like the LSD  :smiley:  Very subtle isn't it, until you kick it into action!

It's a must have like everyone said. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2018, 12:59:31 pm »
Good stuff.  I am still undecided whether to continue with the hassles of the manual gearbox, or switch to DSG, but either way an LSD will feature in the build  :smiley:

Just need to decide if I go plate diff (gripper) or torque biasing (Wavetrac, quaife, peloquins, your diff etc).

From what I've read, plate diffs can massively increase understeer, so you have to drive them differently.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »
Good stuff.  I am still undecided whether to continue with the hassles of the manual gearbox, or switch to DSG, but either way an LSD will feature in the build  :smiley:

Just need to decide if I go plate diff (gripper) or torque biasing (Wavetrac, quaife, peloquins, your diff etc).

From what I've read, plate diffs can massively increase understeer, so you have to drive them differently.

From what I read plate diffs are the business but they're too noisy, need maintenance and aren't good for daily driving and daily car manoeuvres.

If you have the funds retrofitting a DSG will make it faster to deal with when you push the engine hard. And I remember you still haven't fitted the TTE420. You don't need to extract all of its potential to have fun. You'll probably make 400 BHP with low boost and it won't have the surge like the K04 has. :wink:

As I said, I chose my diff because it cost me less than €900 (MSRP would be +€200). The Quaife and the Peloquin, which I don't think are different, would be more expensive. The Wavetrac for DSG would cost around €1500, and I'm not sure if I'd notice any difference with my driving skills. I'm just an enthusiast driver. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #513 on: March 01, 2018, 03:21:04 pm »
Gripper do a road version of their diff which is supposed to be quieter and less aggressive, but it's still not maintenance free and won't be as smooth/quiet as your diff.

Yep, TTE420 still to do and now DSG.  It's going to be an expensive year  :doh: :grin:   I am thinking exactly that - medium boost for 380-400hp, rather than flat out and risk breaking a piston  :happy2:   But it will have a much fatter torque curve than the stock KO4  :smiley:

What is next for your white beast?  :laugh:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #514 on: March 01, 2018, 03:23:57 pm »
Gripper do a road version of their diff which is supposed to be quieter and less aggressive, but it's still not maintenance free and won't be as smooth/quiet as your diff.

Yep, TTE420 still to do and now DSG.  It's going to be an expensive year  :doh: :grin:   I am thinking exactly that - medium boost for 380-400hp, rather than flat out and risk breaking a piston  :happy2:   But it will have a much fatter torque curve than the stock KO4  :smiley:

What is next for your white beast?  :laugh:

You can always fit the TTE420 while you save for the DSG... :innocent:

Soon, I'll share the news when I have them.  :wink: Still waiting for Reyland Motorsport to respond to my enquiry about the 2 piece discs... :thinking:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #515 on: March 01, 2018, 04:01:02 pm »

Lol, expensive indeed, been there.
I've always fitted good parts on mine, that was what kept me from selling and getting one with DSG. But for sure it is cheaper that way.  :wink:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #516 on: March 01, 2018, 05:02:09 pm »

Lol, expensive indeed, been there.
I've always fitted good parts on mine, that was what kept me from selling and getting one with DSG. But for sure it is cheaper that way.  :wink:

I guess if you know the car and it's in great condition, it's a bit of risk starting over with a new car...... and then you would have to repeat the mods all over again!  :grin:

And buying a DSG car is too easy! It's more of a challenge and rewarding retrofitting stuff to your own car.  It gives it an interesting history  :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #517 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:47 pm »
Got a 2nd hand TTE420 from a fellow Ed. 30 owner who forged his engine and fitted a really big turbo. Fitted it last week and had the tune tweaked to work with it. It now pulls even better on top end. Got it because it's better than a K04, it had a good price and Niki Gower praised its performance when it was fitted on the Ed. 30 where it came from. :smiley:

Still need to test the improvement on a dyno, but the butt dyno is happy. It's more linear now since it pulls even stronger at the top end. I'll fit an upgraded LPFP just for safety and maybe WMI. I have no lack of fuel on the logs made after the tweak. It should also help decreasing the EGT since I'm not pushing the turbo much, compared with what the K04 was with the new tune.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #518 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:26 am »
 :grin: :grin: Great news! Looking forward to see the new results. :D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #519 on: March 15, 2018, 06:26:44 pm »
Lol, you kept that quiet Joaquim  :grin:  You beat me to it!!  :drinking:

How does the throttle response / low end performance feel compared to the KO4?  I am expecting it to feel a bit laggier?

How old is your TTE420?  They changed the compressor wheel to a GTX2871 billet fairly recently, much to the anger of people who had already bought one with the older wheel  :grin:

Did the tune need much adjustment?  I am thinking of just running mine with Revo 2+ and see what happens.   The MAF will self tune to an extent and I can tune the fuel and timing with the SPS.

What FPR do you have in currently?  RS4?  You may need a 165bar FPR if you push the TTE flat out.  A TTRS lift pump would also be a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:28:25 pm by Pudding »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #520 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:50 pm »
:grin: :grin: Great news! Looking forward to see the new results. :D

You should get one of these too. If not from TTE, from Skillaturbos or from Turbo One. They've been tested and deliver the power with lower EGT than the TTE. :wink:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #521 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »

How does the throttle response / low end performance feel compared to the KO4?  I am expecting it to feel a bit laggier?

How old is your TTE420?  They changed the compressor wheel to a GTX2871 billet fairly recently, much to the anger of people who had already bought one with the older wheel  :grin:

Did the tune need much adjustment?  I am thinking of just running mine with Revo 2+ and see what happens.   The MAF will self tune to an extent and I can tune the fuel and timing with the SPS.

What FPR do you have in currently?  RS4?  You may need a 165bar FPR if you push the TTE flat out.  A TTRS lift pump would also be a good idea.

Yes, I preferred to wait and see if all was fine with the used turbo. :innocent:

The car is now more progressive and near the torque limit of the DSG. So it's faster but also easier to drive than before. I do notice a tiny bit more lag than my K04 had, but the spool is still pretty good when I floor the accelerator. I also don't get the surge that I had with the K04, so in practise this turbo is much better. Good low end and stronger top end.

I'm at the limit of the RS4 FPRV at the moment and it's enough for me. I don't plan on flatting out the TTE. I'll fit a DW65v in a old shape fuel pump basket. I ordered a 1K0919051AE. The TTRS pump doesn't have the gas level sensor with the correct shape, so it messes up the reading.

When did they change the compressor wheel? I've seen a post from April 2015 talking about a 2871X TTE billet compressor wheel (Link. I think my turbo is from mid 2016 so it should have that new gen wheel.

My tune tweak decreased the low to mid end torque (my DSG started slipping because it was just too much boost at almost 4000 rpm) and increased the fuelling at the top end to go with the increased air volume from the bigger wheel. I'm still getting to know how the engine works because it's raining, so it's easy for the wheels to spin even in 4th gear if I press too much the accelerator. :laugh:

When I made the logs the road was dry and the car was very fast. The ECU was still adapting, so it wasn't at its best yet. :smiley:

Fit the turbo, I bet you'll love it as much as I do. :wink:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #522 on: March 16, 2018, 07:19:33 am »
Hmmm...tempted but there are 2 issues: First one, I'm racing and I would be in a different class, along with 911 Turbos. Despite the fact that in my class there is already a K20 Turbo Elise which for sure has a lot more power than declared, I'm trying to remain a gentleman. :D
The second concern is if my DSG can hold the torque, I still haven't pushed my K04 at the limit with it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #523 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:31 am »

Yes, I preferred to wait and see if all was fine with the used turbo. :innocent:

The car is now more progressive and near the torque limit of the DSG. So it's faster but also easier to drive than before. I do notice a tiny bit more lag than my K04 had, but the spool is still pretty good when I floor the accelerator. I also don't get the surge that I had with the K04, so in practise this turbo is much better. Good low end and stronger top end.

I'm at the limit of the RS4 FPRV at the moment and it's enough for me. I don't plan on flatting out the TTE. I'll fit a DW65v in a old shape fuel pump basket. I ordered a 1K0919051AE. The TTRS pump doesn't have the gas level sensor with the correct shape, so it messes up the reading.

When did they change the compressor wheel? I've seen a post from April 2015 talking about a 2871X TTE billet compressor wheel (Link. I think my turbo is from mid 2016 so it should have that new gen wheel.

My tune tweak decreased the low to mid end torque (my DSG started slipping because it was just too much boost at almost 4000 rpm) and increased the fuelling at the top end to go with the increased air volume from the bigger wheel. I'm still getting to know how the engine works because it's raining, so it's easy for the wheels to spin even in 4th gear if I press too much the accelerator. :laugh:

When I made the logs the road was dry and the car was very fast. The ECU was still adapting, so it wasn't at its best yet. :smiley:

Fit the turbo, I bet you'll love it as much as I do. :wink:

Excellent, I'm glad you are happy with it  :happy2:

If they changed the compressor wheel in 2015, then you should definitely have the latest wheel!

Ah OK.  I'm sure I saw on AKS's website a TTRS pump kit with the right bits for FWD fitment, but the DW65v sounds like a good idea then, and cheaper!
I just looked it up and it fits exactly as standard, so no concerns about fuel surge in the corners like you used to get with Walbro GSS340 drop ins  :happy2:

I think based on your review I will definitely fit it.  I was thinking of selling it.  I need to change the brake servo first, and get tyres, and possibly a new steering rack  :doh:  So the TTE420 is therefore bottom of the priority list as that doesn't affect the way the car handles.

Offline petem86

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #524 on: March 20, 2018, 07:48:22 am »
lovely golf!