Make a donation

Author Topic: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 8th track day at Estoril  (Read 219765 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Candy White Golf GTI Ed. 30 - 7th track day at Estoril
« Reply #585 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:33 pm »
Ordered a new IC from do88 because my IAT rose a bit above 50ºC on the last track day with 25ºC of ambient temperatures. I know it's cold at the moment but I preferred to get it now than wait for the hotter weather.

Can't wait to fit it and see if I notice any difference even on cold weather. :smiley:

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #586 on: October 29, 2018, 06:00:42 am »
They have some interesting comparative data on their site Shoduchi and the DO88 seems to flow very well. Look forward to your feedback on subjective feel after installation.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #587 on: October 29, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »
They have some interesting comparative data on their site Shoduchi and the DO88 seems to flow very well. Look forward to your feedback on subjective feel after installation.

Yes, that's what made me go for their IC instead of an Airtec stage 2 or a Peron (always revising their IC so not sure if I'd get the latest revision). I'll update as soon as I can. :happy2:

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #588 on: November 11, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »
Your cars looking great mate very nice :happy2:....i also love the photography very well done. How do you rate your new rear bushing?

Can never be too early to stick on an upgrade get it on :wink:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #589 on: November 15, 2018, 01:05:44 pm »
Your cars looking great mate very nice :happy2:....i also love the photography very well done. How do you rate your new rear bushing?

Can never be too early to stick on an upgrade get it on :wink:

Thanks mate! :drinking:

The rear bushing kit has made the car more planted and rigid on tight corners. It's good when having fun with the car. I don't ride on the backseats but where I'm sitting I can't tell much difference on ride comfort. It's stiffer but the coilovers can damp enough. At the moment I have the fronts set to 6 and the rears set to 1. I find this settings a good balance for fast road driving since I was having too much over steer with a stiffer rear setting. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #590 on: November 23, 2018, 04:53:40 pm »
Ordered a new IC from do88 because my IAT rised a bit above 50ºC on the last track day with 25ºC of ambient temperatures. I know it's cold at the moment but I preferred to get it now than wait for the hotter weather.

Can't wait to fit it and see if I notice any difference even on cold weather. :smiley:

What IC do you have currently?  S3?  50º on a 25º day isn't that bad to be honest.  I remember IATs hitting 70º in my MK4 days with the side mount coolers  :grin:  I think the ECU starts pulling timing at 45º from memory, so keeping it lower than that is a good move  :happy2:

Interested how you find the DO88!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
What IC do you have currently?  S3?  50º on a 25º day isn't that bad, to be honest.  I remember IATs hitting 70º in my MK4 days with the side mount coolers  :grin:  I think the ECU starts pulling timing at 45º from memory, so keeping it lower than that is a good move  :happy2:

Interested how you find the DO88!

I was running a THS replica sold by Darkside Developments as an S3 IC upgrade.

This last Monday I had time to take my car to the workshop to have the new IC fitted. It was ordered directly by the workshop so I didn't have to pay any delivery costs, fortunately. :smiley:

It came well packed. To my surprise, it's painted grey. :surprised: I thought it was bare aluminium. It has a great build quality and I liked the fins' design.  :smiley:

Fitted in its place.

When we took the front off we noticed a small gas leak on the front of the AC condenser. A quick call to the supplier and it was possible to source a new one in a short time. Not sure if you know but all new OEM AC condensers are bare aluminium, so the OEM supplier only had those available. Nothing that a bit of high-temperature spray paint can't solve. :grin:

I also had the VWR intake cone filter cleaned while waiting for the AC condenser.

When I test drove the car for the first time I immediately noticed an easier spool from lower revs, so the core design really makes a difference in daily driving.

I can't speak yet about the do88 IC's performance at continuous WOT driving, because of lack of opportunity and it has been raining lately (it's also much colder now, 11-12ºC).

I only had time to recharge the AC yesterday.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #592 on: November 25, 2018, 06:59:16 pm »
Just had another nosey over your page cars looking great as usual bud. Hows the lower temps working for you?

Im jealous your so close to Estoril :grin:...great track looks a great day out...and your photographer is doing a great job also car looks brilliant :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #593 on: November 25, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
Just had another nosey over your page cars looking great as usual bud. Hows the lower temps working for you?

Im jealous your so close to Estoril :grin:...great track looks a great day out...and your photographer is doing a great job also car looks brilliant :happy2:

This last week it has been raining since Monday night. I have to drive carefully since my track tyres aren't that good on wet roads. Next week I should be able to test better the performance of the new IC (not expecting much rain). While on track I'd only get high IAT at the end of the long straight, after that they would reduce to more reasonable temperatures doing the next corners. I'm not running that much boost with the TTE420. Doing some runs with Dragy should tell me if my car is a bit faster now with the new IC and with a colder climate. :smiley:

Estoril is great but I really wanted to go to Algarve International Autodrome in Portimão next weekend. Unfortunately, when I could try to book it, there were no reservations left. Next year...

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #594 on: December 04, 2018, 11:45:03 pm »
Finally had time to go to do a dyno test to my car with all the upgrades fitted. The test had to be done in 5th gear because in 4th the torque was too low (443 Nm). All my previous dyno runs were done in 5th gear. This dyno has been calibrated recently by a Maha technician because it was recently installed at this workshop. It belonged to another known tuner house that upgraded to a AWD dyno bench. That's why I went there to do this last test. I'm not expecting to need to do more tests since I like the performance of the engine as it is at the moment. The IC performs really well too. It has been tested at 7000 rpm in 6th gear. :evilgrin:

The turbo is peaking at 1.6 bar and going slowly to 1.5 bar at the top end. It has a track oriented map so it's not meant to push too much the engine and the turbo. :smiley:
The run was done using BP Ultimate RON98 with an octane booster from Nitrous Formula.

Not sure why this dyno measured so much wheel drag. :confused:
In 4th gear it measured less, but all measurements were less on that gear to be fair (just the WHP was higher).

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #595 on: December 05, 2018, 03:29:12 pm »
The graph looks nice.  :happy2:
Fore sure it just pulls and pulls. A bit confused about that difference between power at the engine and at the wheels.  :confused:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #596 on: December 05, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »
The graph looks nice.  :happy2:
Fore sure it just pulls and pulls. A bit confused about that difference between power at the engine and at the wheels.  :confused:

I'm confused as well. It just feels good when accelerating so I'm not that worried about the numbers. I've done a run 100-200 km/h in 8,2 sec, so the speed is there. :smiley:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #597 on: December 05, 2018, 04:08:11 pm »
Then don't worry. That is the right acceleration time, 8.2 is really fast.  :jumping: It must be a software error.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #598 on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:15 am »
Then don't worry. That is the right acceleration time, 8.2 is really fast.  :jumping: It must be a software error.

The engine likes the octane booster. :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #599 on: December 08, 2018, 01:21:17 pm »
Wow, lots of updates  :smiley:

IC looks great  :happy2:

The reason for the high coast down losses is because of 5th gear.  You will also measure less wheel torque at the roller in 5th and 6th.   4th is 1:1 ratio (no gearing at all effectively - 1 crank revolution = 1 road wheel revolution) and will read the most accurate wheel torque, and will also have the least coast down losses.  5th and 6th takes longer to slow the dyno down, hence the high losses.  And similarly, you shouldn't dyno a car in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear because they increase wheel torque, but you would get smaller losses  :happy2:

I've never heard of wheel torque being 'too low' for a dyno before, that is strange!

I really would not concern yourself with that stuff.  It's just numbers.  It's obvious in the driving seat when modifications work  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:24:36 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D