Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone else gone from CTR to MARK 5 GTI  (Read 7817 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Anyone else gone from CTR to MARK 5 GTI
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:08 pm »
there wouldnt be much in it your right, the golf wouldnt just dissapear but if you get the gear wrong in the type R you will have noting unless you change down. TFSI is much more forgiving and will still pull due to torque.

your also right torque isnt everything, but having about 40IBFT+ over the entire rev range means alot. one caryou hsve to rag to drive fast the other one you dont.

but if you are going out for s play both cars will be getting ragged anyway, and depending on what ctr u get it will be lighter and could have a diff fitted. If going for a hoon and it was between a stock gti or stock ctr it would have to be the ctr for me, but not the newest one

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 02:56:07 pm »
Mt CTR was 220 bhp (itg, fujitsubu exhaust and KPRO) all that cost around 2.5k!!!  :surprised:

I had a go against a few mapped GTI's and was about the same. The GTI is about 190bhp/ton with 250 and the ctr is about that with 220bhp.

Fact is though the gti costs about 500 quid to get to that speed and still has more to go, the ctr was at it limit without going forced.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 03:58:45 pm »
forget bhp/ton and all the bull, for sheer driving thrills most would say the ctr is better.

I accepts its subjective but the sharpness and the gearbox does it for me.
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
I had a charged 2.3 Toda stroker CTR a couple of years ago.. Was good fun, and quick, but not as quick as the Golf is now..

A standard CTR is not as quick as a GTI in a straight line, its very very close but a GTI is faster, the ED30 more so obviously..

And 250hp N/A on a CTR is not exactly easy to achieve lol, thats head work, cams, exhaust, intake, Kpro etc etc.. Ok if you go to a happy dyno then maybes with less mods, but true power, no way..

I agree though, for thrills the CTR is more fun, but the Golf is a better all rounder and doesn't look chav like the Civic..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 04:18:20 pm »
how did your ctr compare with other high power cars?

Im surprised that with all that work the golf is still quicker.
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 04:19:50 pm »
how did your ctr compare with other high power cars?

Im surprised that with all that work the golf is still quicker.

The Golf is a fast car, it seems much quicker than any other K04 2.0T FSI that I have come across anyways..

It was nice, had everything done to it, was fast, but just didn't like the fact that I was driving around in a Honda Civic, so I sold it..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:00 pm »
And 250hp N/A on a CTR is not exactly easy to achieve lol, thats head work, cams, exhaust, intake, Kpro etc etc.. Ok if you go to a happy dyno then maybes with less mods, but true power, no way..

this is what i was trying to say. Ive driven the type R and i loved the drive full stop. absolutely loved the engine and the revs.

Still dont think it would be as fast in an average drivers hands.

Plus tuning wise it will cost you an arm and a leg to get close to a stage 2 GTI in output with that engine, and it would be ridiculous amount of money to make a stage 2+ 280bhp with it. So yes a silmilar powered civic will be as quick as a GTI. but cost wise you would be alot more in pocket with the GTI in the long run. In which you could change alot to make it even better.

The golf might cost more, but if you are tuning its the most viable option.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »
I love seeing CTRs on track, they're like impromptu chicanes.  :innocent:
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:56 pm »
 :grin:

Offline rskardon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55:11 pm »
I had a Grey CTR (Best Colour) and I did love it, its a harder car to drive fast than a golf and i would probably say it was a little more fun to zip down a country lane in  :driver: but I do prefer the golf as an overall package.

The low down torque makes it easy to drive fast and the interior is a much nicer place to be (especially if you upgrade the head unit to one of the Mk6 ones).

I definitely prefer the exterior of the golf too, Civics are a bit Chav-tastic, especially now you can get the early ones from around £5k upwards, GTi's seem to have remained above that level thus far.

The one thing i would say is that the engine and mechanics on the CTR seemed to be more reliable and it was a lot cheaper to maintain, VW stealers really take the piss.

Wouldnt touch the new CTR with its spaceship looks that will date uber fast and that ridiculous spoiler... if i could afford it right now the MK6 GTi would be my ideal hot hatch and if you get a good example the MK5 is pretty damned close.

Cheers,

R

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 04:56:59 pm »
With a blindfold on, they're a great driver's car - wonderful fizzy engine and out of the box on rails.

But they hit a wall with power, little gains for for the kind of money that if the same was spent on a Golf, will make it eat one alive.

Apples and oranges.
Sideways yo!

Offline jwm

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 06:00:45 pm »
I type r has been loads of fun for me but like i say fancy a change and i dont know if i like the fact anymore that everytime you drop down a gear to overtake you sound like a right hooligan and keeping it in cam is hard work, maybe im getting lazy

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 06:10:53 pm »
turbos make for easy lazty power. dont think i could go back to a non turbo anymore. To used to the low down torque and power.

Do you have any plans for your car then. and are you dead set on a golf, or considering leon Frs or octy vRS. I was actually looking into the leon at first but needed the boot, hence the vRS

Love the new shape CTR though. :drool: looks well tasty i think
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:15:31 pm by vRSy »

Offline jwm

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 11:40:50 pm »
Only plan i have for the ctr is to trade it in the new year,  pretty much set on a gti now,  

the new ctr is a lovely looking car but after a test drive i prefered my ep3

This seems a really good site to get all the info i need and friendly banter :happy2:

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »
I recently parted with my 55 plate EP3 and i have to be honest for pure thrills i miss it so much, keeping it on the boil was part of the fun and i loved getting that perfect gear change. The engine was spot on and the gearbox blows the Gti away, everything i have driven since just feels clunky.

Now on the other hand as many have already said, i did get tired of changing every time i wanted to overtake someone but i don't think it's as bad for that as everyone makes out. People make out like it's got no power at all. I don't like the fact either that the price has come down so much that you see 17 year olds in them and that makes me angry because it's most likely these kids that try to impress there little gf's that my insurance is so high  :fighting:.

I have been driving the Gti for around 2 months now and it is a great car, a perfect all rounder and depending on the spec you get it can be such a lazy and relaxing car to drive. The power delivery is great, nice and smooth but still a kick there to throw your passengers head back lol. I have had to take it back a couple of times for a few issues with fans not working and the ignition sounding awful but apart from that no problems. I would definitely say if you are after a car that is manic and always wanting to be thrashed, then the type R is your car where as if your after a car that is chilled out, relaxing to drive, all the creature comforts but can also be used for some fun b road bashing the Gti is a perfect car.

I hope this helps a little.