Author Topic: FWD  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: FWD
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »
TBH if i was to get the K04conversion on mine, there is absolutely no way i would do it before i got a LSD. i can spin the wheels easily now.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:41:51 pm »
you will still be spinning the wheels with a diff.
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:46 pm »
I have got to admit I do miss the FWD of the ED30, it brought a smilt to my face when the front wheels lit up at 70 in the wet, granted it did get a little frustrating at times but most of the time it just made me giggle!  :evilgrin:

The S3 on the other hand is awesoem at this time of year, it gives me endless amounts of grip and I can get the tail wagging in the twisties if I really give it the beans  :laugh:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 02:34:16 pm »
esp off as soon as you get in the car,job done

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 02:41:36 pm »
esp off as soon as you get in the car,job done

INDEED  :evilgrin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 02:57:50 pm »
The one thing im not looking forward to in the mini is FWD. Worst time of the year to change, im loving hooning away from cars in the pissing rain which would usually be quicker, upset an M3 on the north circular the other day  :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 03:19:38 pm »

TBH if i was to get the K04conversion on mine, there is absolutely no way i would do it before i got a LSD. i can spin the wheels easily now.

....But don't be convinced that a LSD diff (ATB to be pedantically correct) will stop all wheelspin - It will only help get it more quickly under control when it does happen and it's only one piece in a jigsaw of mods which help get the power down on FWD and one of those pieces is your right foot.

An ATB diff does play a big part though and the new Sports Differential (optional extra) on the Audi's makes the quattro much more exciting.

It makes all the difference to train your right foot to apply throttle progressively and never to jerk or stamp on it - An action almost guaranteed to induce wheelspin in any gear if it's at all slippy, white lines included.

Great as it is to have big power, there are certain advantages to making progress with slightly less power delivering more traction.

We each have our own preferences but I like FWD and the more predictable RWD but get a bit bored when driving AWD/4WD. Yes you can go quicker with 4WD but it's not so much fun imo.

I wouldn't switch off ESP on the road - There's simply too much which can happen unexpectedly which has the potential to seriously damage either the car or people or both and through no fault of your own driving. And I do wonder if in the event of a serious incident or insurance claim, the fact that you were driving with ESP switched off could go strongly against you. Rightly or wrongly, ESP is considered by the authorities to be a very real contributor to the reduction of accidents.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 03:54:56 pm »
esp is only an aid,if your not competant to drive without it (many cars dont have it anyway) then you shouldnt be driving.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 05:07:16 pm »

esp is only an aid,if your not competant to drive without it (many cars dont have it anyway) then you shouldnt be driving.

....Sure, I can drive without ESP - As can many others. What's the betting I was driving without ESP before you were even born :grin:

Surely you're not advocating that all 'competant' drivers should always switch it off are you?

You might just as logically say that you shouldn't be driving if you can't drive without quattro - They're all just aids.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:24 pm »

ECU interrogation is becoming common place in fatal accidents now and the data is admissable as evidence.

In the event of a fatality it is becoming increasingly likely that this would be taken into consideration. Was the ESP off? Why was it off? Did it being off contribute to the way you were driving and/or the collision? Could/would the collision have been avoid if the ESP was active. Subjective you might argue, but an expert witness's testimony is admissable as well and if someone form TRL or Bosch or even VW were to stand in court and say that the accident would've been avoidable with ESP active, you'd be looking at some time at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 05:20:52 pm »

Funnily enough I learnt to drive in cars without ESP/traction control/ABS, etc, however none of them were 200+ bhp front wheel drive hot hatches.

Can I drive my current car without the ESP on, of course but I choose to leave it on as there may be a chance it will save my @ss.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

....Sure, I can drive without ESP - As can many others. What's the betting I was driving without ESP before you were even born :grin:

Surely you're not advocating that all 'competant' drivers should always switch it off are you?

You might just as logically say that you shouldn't be driving if you can't drive without quattro - They're all just aids.

But your the one who stated that esp shouldnt be turned off, so let me get this right you dont want to turn off esp yet you modify your to produce more power and go faster?????

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »

Funnily enough I learnt to drive in cars without ESP/traction control/ABS, etc, however none of them were 200+ bhp front wheel drive hot hatches.

Can I drive my current car without the ESP on, of course but I choose to leave it on as there may be a chance it will save my @ss.

Or at the very least help to cover it!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:39 pm »

But your the one who stated that esp shouldnt be turned off, so let me get this right you dont want to turn off esp yet you modify your to produce more power and go faster?????

....Let me clarify that what I advised was that it wasn't a good idea to turn off ESP for road driving (in my opinion). Furthermore, animal also has confirmed exactly as I suggested - That having ESP off in an incident can be admissable evidence against you.

But quite apart from any judgement of blame in the event of an incident being investigated, having ESP off doesn't make you or your car faster. It may however, better suit your driving style to switch ESP off on a track day.

You are of course free to choose to switch ESP off whenever you wish but is it wise for road use?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:47:29 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »
i kept my ESP on at the ring as well, took it off a couple times, but felt more confidentwith it on as i thought it might save me writing off my car off if with it on.