Make a donation

Author Topic: Whats the best roof bars to buy  (Read 1551 times)

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Whats the best roof bars to buy
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »
Looking to but a set of roof bars for my 3dr GTI. Has anyone got a set that they are happy with and could recommend??

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Whats the best roof bars to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:32:20 pm »
I have a 5 door (not the 3 door) and have a thule system with the alloy aero bars (silver, sleeker and quiet) All with locks.

I carry 3 bikes (2 adults and 1 child’s) using the thule 591 cycle racks, same racks fit on our Audi Avant so its nice and easy. Tend to use it all more on the audi as it does dent mpg, but if you are carrying bikes they are secure and out of the way, and you get easy access to the boot, quick and easy to fit and take off, just watch the paintwork, make sure the car is clean

Got the bars, foot packs and rapid fitting kit all 2nd hand on ebay – got a good deal. Had the same make on my old Mk4 with no issues

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline jimmy-s3

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:17:34 pm »
Sounds like a good set up!

With my last car (e90 BMW) i had a set of BMW roof bars that bolted onto the roof and therefore was easy to fit and remove as i only use the roof bars for cycling once a week. Im not sure how easy the Thule system will be to fit and remove as it clamps to the door shuts and on the 3dr version between the rear window glass and bodywork??

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 10:32:09 pm »
With my 5 door i can clamp the bars on in 10 mins, then 3 bike racks and bikes in another 10 mins.
Once you get the hang of it, it is really quick :santa:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy