Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 227279 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »
yes mate it did as u can hear more air being sucked in / rammed in  :evilgrin: its loud but thats how i like this car

Funnily enough why I thought of the EVOMS for you.  :laugh:

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »
Nice one RR, driving mine didn't put you of then  :wink:

Catch can position was OK  :happy2:

I'm still looking at modifying an oem engine cover to tidy it up a bit under there, and I dont even wear pants  :signLOL:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:30:14 pm by NeilM »

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO john dont do it it looks  :sick: :sick:

Lol, you don't drive around with your bonnet open do you??

I would stick an intake on which was modeled on Susan Boyles face if it was worth another 5hp!!
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 02:31:44 pm »

Not for me either, but I fully accept we all have differing tastes, and requirements. 

A couple of genuine Q's

what is the reason behind the 2 filter assembly's?  Where the 2 airflows meet around the 'Y' piece there must be some turbulent flow there, thus slowing the airflow down?

Are the gains what you expected? 

Good review though, and helping others make their mind up is the name of the game.

:happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 03:00:26 pm »
so would i jonny but it just looks like they have bolted 2 of these on to make it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBRE-INDUCTION-KIT-AIR-FILTER-UNIVERSAL-NEW_W0QQitemZ200386758138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea7fb45fa#ht_500wt_956
not my cup of tea  :sick:

Dont know to be honest, either way, works well, and for me thats what counts!  :smiley: Saying that, I appriciate that opinions on aesthetics are a very individual thing.. Just think, someone out there may actually think Susan Boyle is a bit of a fitty  :wink:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 03:24:07 pm »
Susan Boyle is a bit of a fitty  :wink:

jonny what the f*** dude?
 :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 03:49:22 pm »

so would i jonny but it just looks like they have bolted 2 of these on to make it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBON-FIBRE-INDUCTION-KIT-AIR-FILTER-UNIVERSAL-NEW_W0QQitemZ200386758138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea7fb45fa#ht_500wt_956

not my cup of tea  :sick:

....I totally understand the Twintake is not your cup of tea but I'm wondering if you've read my rather lengthy explanation of how the Twintake works - But no problem, I don't expect everyone to read it. That eBay universal intake is intended for fitting down low near the foglight position and isn't very clever at all! What happens when some unavoidable standing water quickly floods into that low filter cannister?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 04:01:54 pm »
i dont think u have looked at that intake correctly Robin it sits up like yours and you put the air inlet any place u like  :smiley: like up in the place yours are  :smiley: and i know how it works and i am sure forge say its the best thing ever but for me it just looks like it should cost less/cheap looking and i cant explain why but as u say each to there own and i hope u enjoy it  :congrats:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 04:07:29 pm »

A couple of genuine Q's

what is the reason behind the 2 filter assembly's?  Where the 2 airflows meet around the 'Y' piece there must be some turbulent flow there, thus slowing the airflow down?

Good review though, and helping others make their mind up is the name of the game.

....Cheers Dave  :happy2:

I think the answers to your questions about why 2 filter assemblies and airflow at the 'Y' junction are in the review under the headings of "TWO INLETS + TWO FILTERS" and "REDUCING RESTRICTIONS".

Are the gains what I expected? - Yes, pretty much spot on although I always try and keep an open mind.

I've been out driving today again and she feels almost as if I've upgraded the remap. Very strong and useful power when applied to overtaking but I have to watch licence-losing territory.

I'm really enjoying the sound too. It's audible but doesn't compete with the Milltek or the Grrrrr from my engine mounts. I do a lot of music sound editing and mixing in the studio and the mix on my car is well balanced.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 04:18:40 pm »

i dont think u have looked at that intake correctly Robin it sits up like yours and you put the air inlet any place u like  :smiley: like up in the place yours are  :smiley: and i know how it works and i am sure forge say its the best thing ever but for me it just looks like it should cost less/cheap looking and i cant explain why but as u say each to there own and i hope u enjoy it  :congrats:

....Ah, I didn't realise that the linked eBay intake was anything other than what I said. I wonder what gains it would have.

Forge are working on a single filter cannister version which will be cheaper because of it but obviously will offer less gains than the Twintake.

To be fair I haven't seen any evidence of Forge saying that their Twintake is the best intake ever. They acknowledge and respect their competition and have striven to produce the best they can. The Twintake appears to match the gains of both ITG and EVOMS but actually I think it's cheaper.

But absolutely as you, me, stokey, and others say: We each have our own preferences. It's what I made clear in my review by listing the various considerations and not in any order of importance.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »
i would have liked to see the Y pipe made into a narrower Y piece to aid smoother flow...rather than have the 2 pipes curving into the single pipe like it is.

However, the air is not forced into the single pipe, the turbo is sucking in air from 2 sources, and in that sense i suppose is not such a restriction (from my basic understanding of how the air would be flowing in this system)

so having 2 sources to suck air in is better than 1, but like someone has already said, you can only get so much air into the single pipe going into the turbo anyway!

But i do like the noise NeilM's car made with this system on the rollers. Was bonkers!  :grin:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 04:41:30 pm »

A couple of genuine Q's

what is the reason behind the 2 filter assembly's?  Where the 2 airflows meet around the 'Y' piece there must be some turbulent flow there, thus slowing the airflow down?

....Cheers Dave  :happy2:

I think the answers to your questions about why 2 filter assemblies and airflow at the 'Y' junction are in the review under the headings of "TWO INLETS + TWO FILTERS" and "REDUCING RESTRICTIONS".

Are the gains what I expected? - Yes, pretty much spot on although I always try and keep an open mind.

I've been out driving today again and she feels almost as if I've upgraded the remap. Very strong and useful power when applied to overtaking but I have to watch licence-losing territory.

I'm really enjoying the sound too. It's audible but doesn't compete with the Milltek or the Grrrrr from my engine mounts. I do a lot of music sound editing and mixing in the studio and the mix on my car is well balanced.

I had read that.  It doesn't really answer my Q.  

There is only a certain amount of airflow that the intake pipework can handle, and the velocity of that airflow is entirely dependant on the Turbo's ability to effectively utilise the airflow.  Assuming there is an element of 'Ram-air' due to the forward motion of the car.

If you have a Y piece then at the point to two airflows join an area of turbulence will be present,  this will effectively stagnate the flow.  I am assuming that Forge have tested this.

The extra airflow will however have some element of cooling the whole shebang down.  

The angle of incidence of the 2 airflows will have a tremendous effect on the amount of turbulence present.  The forge is about 90 degrees between the 2 airflows, this is quite a difference in flow directions.  

Interesting.
 :smiley:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:43:11 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
If you have a Y piece then at the point to two airflows join an area of turbulence will be present,  this will effectively stagnate the flow.   

The angle of incidence of the 2 airflows will have a tremendous effect on the amount of turbulence present.  The forge is about 90 degrees between the 2 airflows, this is quite a difference in flow directions. 

i would have liked to see the Y pipe made into a narrower Y piece to aid smoother flow...rather than have the 2 pipes curving into the single pipe like it is.

that is exactly what andy@ITG said.

he said the idea is good and potential gains would be due to the large amount of filter surface area, and also the ram air nature of the main filter, but the junction of the two inlets leaves a little to be desired and could have been designed better to aid airflow and reduce turbulance.

basically he said it good design but could be improved.

iirc cRR you are running lower boost than normal to preserve any turbo issues again, so i think yoyu are defiantely in the corect bhp zone for a stage 2  k03

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 05:24:34 pm »

There is only a certain amount of airflow that the intake pipework can handle, and the velocity of that airflow is entirely dependant on the Turbo's ability to effectively utilise the airflow.  Assuming there is an element of 'Ram-air' due to the forward motion of the car.

If you have a Y piece then at the point to two airflows join an area of turbulence will be present,  this will effectively stagnate the flow.  I am assuming that Forge have tested this.

The extra airflow will however have some element of cooling the whole shebang down. 

The angle of incidence of the 2 airflows will have a tremendous effect on the amount of turbulence present.  The forge is about 90 degrees between the 2 airflows, this is quite a difference in flow directions. 

Interesting.
 :smiley:

....As I understand it, the 70mm piping will only flow a finite volume of air regardless of the number of filters used. Higher flowing air filters, however, provide for a reduction in effort required to draw air through them due to a decrease in flow restriction. A larger surface area through which airflow is introduced, provides for the least possible restriction in flow.

Okay, so just before this less restricted airflow has arrived at the 'Y' junction it passes through a velocity stack - Vanes moulded into the delivery end of the filter's cannister. This also has a bearing on why the Twintake orientates its cone-shaped filters the opposite way to usual practice.

Without having very in-depth discussion with Forge to explain it further, the airflow sucked in at the 'Y' doesn't suffer from stagnating. I'm told by Forge that they have thoroughly tested this and also a version with just the one forward facing filter cannister (which gave less gains).

I'm sorry if I can't be more help in answering your questions at the moment. I may be able to post some answers another day though.