Make a donation

Author Topic: "DV change, sir? What's that then?" Said the DEALER!  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
Re: "DV change, sir? What's that then?" Said the DEALER!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 11:23:26 pm »
Haha awful place isn't it! I had a big argument with them last time not going there again! Agreed on how clueless they are, i said about my tsi engine needing the timing chain replaced as it's a well known problem and they turned round and said they have never changed one or known one needing changed???

Sure is! I generally use Volksworkshop these days.

Dave

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:14 am »
If you knew so much about it you should have given them the part number... or changed it yourself, it's a piece of piss.  :happy2:
Not flippant at all...

I just don't think you should give the dealer a name for a part which they would perhaps not recognise and then complain about it. All main dealers are the same. As said, what we on forums may commonly call parts, a dealer would perhaps not know.

You could have just said, can you replace this part as well, it's behind the wheel, here's the part number...they would have gone, ohh yes, charge control valve.

Besides, partly playing devils advocate.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 10:09:02 am »
I've only ever found one main dealer which has staff that are actually seem interested in / know about how cars work.. GTI world in Edinburgh, where I bought my last Golf.

They're not exactly local to me though, and after experiencing some problems with my R32 (suspected failing rear diff), I took the car to a local dealer since the car had a years warranty.

They sent the 'service manager' out to have a chat with me. After me explaining the symptoms, he said something along the lines of "the thing is, these R-line golfs don't really have 4 wheel drive, it's an electronic diff that simulates 4 wheel drive".

At that point I thanked him for his time and left  :fighting:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35:39 am »
TBH it's not called a diverter valve. it's like a charge air something or other on ETKA I think

If you knew so much about it you should have given them the part number... or changed it yourself, it's a piece of piss.  :happy2:

Yeah tbh I half expected that and should have taken the part number. It was more the service I got and the reluctance to just do as I asked re: changing it regardless of condition.

You're also right, I could have changed it...point is that I'm better with a mouse than a spanner :-)

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 11:18:06 am »
And people are attracted to FVWSH.....

Give me a good indie any day.

Mine has FSH and had its lube service about a month ago when the previous owner had it, Come tomorrow I will have given the car a Major Service myself including another Oil n Filter change albeit with Millers Nanodrive just for my own piece of mind.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 01:43:36 pm »
Not flippant at all...

I just don't think you should give the dealer a name for a part which they would perhaps not recognise and then complain about it. All main dealers are the same. As said, what we on forums may commonly call parts, a dealer would perhaps not know.

You could have just said, can you replace this part as well, it's behind the wheel, here's the part number...they would have gone, ohh yes, charge control valve.

Besides, partly playing devils advocate.
Fair comment, better put as well  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 02:57:24 pm »
Mine goes for a minor lube service at the dealer on a yearly basis, and every 6 months I will service it again

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »
TBH it's not called a diverter valve. it's like a charge air something or other on ETKA I think

Yeah tbh I half expected that and should have taken the part number. It was more the service I got and the reluctance to just do as I asked re: changing it regardless of condition.

You're also right, I could have changed it...point is that I'm better with a mouse than a spanner :-)

me too!

keyboard warrior  :fighting2: :fighting2: :fighting2: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:  :signLOL:

Offline Georrge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,93533.msg937034.html#msg937034
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »
Same thing happened to me last year, none of them had a clue what I was on about.

Instagram @george_kersh

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 11:08:41 pm »
Sometimes you can get lucky and there's an enthusiast working at a dealership, there was a great parts desk local to me but the whole place and the showroom has closed now... 60 miles round trip to my nearest now :(

Offline LondonGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 10:57:10 am »
Lookers have been terrible. Told me I needed a new turbo when I actually just needed a valve. Also said my brakes needed replacing despite them having been done a month earlier elsewhere. Chancers.