Make a donation

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Mk5 General Area / Re: Should I replace my turbo? *Attached picture*
« Last post by Octoparrot on Yesterday at 11:48:10 am »
I'd replace it ASAP before it lets go and causes even more problems or damage.
Mk5 General Area / Re: Milltek vs Pipewerx
« Last post by Wastedspark on Yesterday at 09:15:30 am »
Is it the tingy noise you get from a stainless exhaust? Hopefully not detonation!!!
« Last post by ZoliWorks on Yesterday at 09:13:24 am »
I've fitted a 200 cell downpipe. Only difference I noticed is a rattling sound under acceleration. There's no difference in noise. I've kept the original exhausts and I probably wont replace them because I want the car to be comfy on long roads. It has the exact same sound as my naturally aspirated golf, which has a sports cat because it was the cheapest option as a replacement part when my OEM cat failed. Sound video below.

Like it's not rattling in the proper sense, but I have no clue how to describe it. Basically a sound that wasn't there with the stock cat.
« Last post by Wastedspark on Yesterday at 07:19:32 am »
Hi

Is there much of a difference in noise when fitting an after market down pipe? I currently have a miltek cat back with resonator on my mk5 GTI
Another update, the car has been remapped and pulls like crazy! It charges a bit slower than a K03 but when the power comes on, it really puts a smile on your face.

However, we put the wrong map on the car due to a communication error and the ECU is expecting up to 130 bar fuel pressure from it, which the stock system cant deliver. When it reaches 126 bars, it cuts out and drops to 107. Above 5k rpm in 4th gear, the car is basically dead. I got the correct map done and we're flashing it tomorrow.

And the other thing is, there's a leak somewhere. I can hear it whistle every time I come off throttle. If I'm driving say 60kph and clutch in, the rpm doesn't fall to idle, it falls to 400, then shoots up to 1.5k and down again. If I clutch in when coming to a stop and I was revved to 3k, it falls down completely and the engine dies. I'll get the whole system smoke tested tomorrow.
Mk5 General Area / Re: Should I replace my turbo? *Attached picture*
« Last post by ZoliWorks on May 09, 2024, 10:31:19 pm »
p0299 can be a cracked turbo, fissured pcv or diverter valve. In my case, my turbo had the exact same crack as yours and was underboosting a solid 0.4bar throughout the powerband. I've replaced it with a K04 now but the turbo housing was cracked around the wastegate and the CHRA failed. The hot side blades are all scratched up and the propeller has play in every direction. Plus there was a lot of oil in the intake. I'll attach some pictures tomorrow.
Mk5 General Area / Re: 62% insurance increase anyone?
« Last post by Lewo on May 09, 2024, 09:48:23 pm »
I was surprised at a relatively cheap quote this year.  With mods decalred through Flux I'm paying £550.  I ran a comparethemarket to see what I'd get without the (very small number) of mods, and it was £350.  All cheaper than last year.

For context I'm 36, have about 14years NCB, an SP30 to declare, but live in a BD (bradford) postcode, albiet in a nice area the BD prefix puts the price up. Greenlight wouldn't even quote me.

Who did you go with on Compare?

Well I insured through flux to keep it all above board. The cheap quote on compare was through ageas... Incidentally they're the same people who underwrite my flux policy.

Thanks, will bear them in mind.
Esure have emailed saying there was an error in the renewal and will send out a new one....see what they come up with now lol.
I still think it's a 'kin racket.
Mk5 General Area / Should I replace my turbo? *Attached picture*
« Last post by Reeceyy on May 09, 2024, 07:38:07 pm »
Should I replace my turbo?? Looks to have a crack in it although the car is still boosting well. I do have a p0299 code popping up too with an oil leak that I'm not sure that could be related to this.

Let me know :)

How to Guides / Troubleshooting / Re: Mk5 gti code p0299
« Last post by Reeceyy on May 09, 2024, 01:37:38 pm »
I also have the p0299 code. Ive just noticed that i have the hairline crack on the turbo, exhaust side too. Still boost well the car and theres no strange whistles. The problem with my car is that its also leaking oil badly and im still not sure where its coming from. Is yours leaking oil too?
Mk5 General Area / Re: 62% insurance increase anyone?
« Last post by TheBALDpuma on May 09, 2024, 01:00:51 pm »
I was surprised at a relatively cheap quote this year.  With mods decalred through Flux I'm paying £550.  I ran a comparethemarket to see what I'd get without the (very small number) of mods, and it was £350.  All cheaper than last year.

For context I'm 36, have about 14years NCB, an SP30 to declare, but live in a BD (bradford) postcode, albiet in a nice area the BD prefix puts the price up. Greenlight wouldn't even quote me.

Who did you go with on Compare?

Well I insured through flux to keep it all above board. The cheap quote on compare was through ageas... Incidentally they're the same people who underwrite my flux policy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10